DELETED_200870

Don
A typical internet forum answer, completely devoid of any useful information, and not even pertinent to the asked question.

The more important question is why would you want to deliberately cripple a recent processor like the 5000 series by running an old unsupported OS?

What would you even use it for? (as without recent security patches you shouldn't use it online, and most recent games that would benefit from such a processor have already dropped support for Windows 7)

Soldato
A typical internet forum answer, completely devoid of any useful information, and not even pertinent to the asked question.

I gave you an answer but I guess you already know its abit silly to run new hardware on an unsupported OS. Otherwise you wouldn't be asking this question in the first place or Google it yourself as already said. You get the same answer I given you.

Man of Honour
From what I recall you need to modify the install media to include certain drivers that aren't normally present and/or change their order in the load chain. You will lose some features in respect to performance/threading and some reports that even when people have gone to town on it drivers wise and registry hacks, etc. they are still seeing sporadic BSODs, etc. that they don't get with 10.

Can completely understand why anyone would want a 7 install though - I'm currently dual booting 7 and 10 on my gaming PC to run Cyberpunk and it has reinforced yet again what a **** show 10 is in too many areas.

as without recent security patches you shouldn't use it online

I hope you are using Linux :p because if security really matters to you Windows 10 doesn't really offer any better protection than 7 :s (it also has significantly more privilege escalation vulnerabilities than 7 if an attacker does get a foot in the door so you definitely need to be on the latest Windows 10 builds).

I used to at least credit them with 10 how quickly vulnerabilities were being patch but then more and more just keep coming out the woodwork that absolutely should not have been there in the first place and more revelations come to light about long standing, actively being exploited, issues that they haven't fully patched, etc.

Soldato
From what I recall you need to modify the install media to include certain drivers that aren't normally present and/or change their order in the load chain. You will lose some features in respect to performance/threading and some reports that even when people have gone to town on it drivers wise and registry hacks, etc. they are still seeing sporadic BSODs, etc. that they don't get with 10.

Can completely understand why anyone would want a 7 install though - I'm currently dual booting 7 and 10 on my gaming PC to run Cyberpunk and it has reinforced yet again what a **** show 10 is in too many areas.

I hope you are using Linux :p because if security really matters to you Windows 10 doesn't really offer any better protection than 7 :s (it also has significantly more privilege escalation vulnerabilities than 7 if an attacker does get a foot in the door so you definitely need to be on the latest Windows 10 builds).

I used to at least credit them with 10 how quickly vulnerabilities were being patch but then more and more just keep coming out the woodwork that absolutely should not have been there in the first place and more revelations come to light about long standing, actively being exploited, issues that they haven't fully patched, etc.

Isnt Cyberpunk an **** show too with it own problems?!?!!? :p

But still, Win 7 had its time.....Just like XP.

Man of Honour
Isnt Cyberpunk an **** show too with it own problems?!?!!? :p

Yes - but personally I've not had any of the show stopping bugs some are having and for some reason on my system it seems to run more stable and with more consistent performance than many are seeing with far newer setups. Though I do need to restart the game after 2 hours of playing pretty much on the dot as suddenly it becomes a laggy mess.

It is a pale imitation of the game they were talking it up to be however even ignoring the bugs and technical issues.

Soldato
Why anybody would want to run 7 now is beyond me, it's unsupported, not worth the security risk for a start, some of us have never had a single issue with 10, thems the facts.

Man of Honour
Why anybody would want to run 7 now is beyond me, it's unsupported, not worth the security risk for a start, some of us have never had a single issue with 10, thems the facts.

Personally I make very wide use of both 7 and 10 and 10 is an absolute abomination for some stuff - also running more than half a dozen systems on it the update situation gets very tiresome which is probably a bit less noticeable for people who have just one PC running 10. Also with 10 and running multiple systems the number of times I see stuff like the start menu and/or explorer becoming unresponsive or stop working entirely is ridiculous.

The UI in 10 still looks pretty hateful as well, especially explorer which is just a mess - always a slight moment of relief when I swap over to 7 to do stuff in explorer (aside from the lack of the more advance file copy dialogs, etc.).

I mean I would not in any way recommend people to continue using 7 over the security situation but people thinking they are actually materially safer on 10 are only kidding themselves - there are just so many security issues coming out of the woodwork on 10 that absolutely should not have been there in the first place and suggest there are a lot more to come it isn't funny - if anyone really cares enough about the security situation to make a deal of the difference between 7 and 10 I really hope they are using one of the better implementations of Linux for anything online.

Albeit they are found and patched but there have been single months with more, critical, security issues dealt with in 10 than the entire history of 7 (in over a decade Windows 7 has 1283 CVE listed security vulnerabilities of all types while 10 has chalked up 1111 in under 5 years).

Last edited:
Soldato
I run 2 systems on win10 and I'll be honest I'm mostly a Linux user for day to day but I'm yet to have an issue with 10 but completely understand that some do so it's fair enough.
Also https://msfn.org/board/topic/170375-oldnewexplorer-119/ to fix your hatred of explorer, I actually agree its a mess in default 10, I'm a customizer though and use third party themes as seen in the screenshot thread so those combined with oldnewexplorer fix that issue for me.
Default 7 is ugly as sin though you must agree lol, completely irrelevant for most though I know, but the lack of security updates now is a sure sign to switch and cope with it.

Soldato

Same argument with XP.

Regardless what people think, Win 7 is dead and done. The industry decides to move on from older OS's, not us.

Security should be no 1 priority when using computers now not familiarity.

Man of Honour
I run 2 systems on win10 and I'll be honest I'm mostly a Linux user for day to day but I'm yet to have an issue with 10 but completely understand that some do so it's fair enough.
Also https://msfn.org/board/topic/170375-oldnewexplorer-119/ to fix your hatred of explorer, I actually agree its a mess in default 10, I'm a customizer though and use third party themes as seen in the screenshot thread so those combined with oldnewexplorer fix that issue for me.

My problem with this, and it also applies to my comment below, due to the Windows as a service model and the way they approach updates there is a high chance using modifications like this will break things in a future update and/or not be compatible with a future update and then left hanging until the developer updates.

The alternative is to try and break Windows 10 so it doesn't update and stay on a static build (but then you are just using Windows 10 for the sake of it in some respects as your security situation would be the same as 7 in the vein of comments above, etc.).

It is updates and forced restarts that are one of the bigger pains for me with the OS - with multiple systems with varying usage patterns they almost always seem to come along at the most inconvenient moment and/or makes it a complete pain to use a system for a longer term operation that Windows doesn't see as activity and it will happily reboot in the middle of. Basically the developers are muppets.

I've had multiple instances as well - as I have 2x tablets and 2x laptops with 10 on - where (a) it has wanted to update when I'm on the move (b) the update has broken something which is really inconvenient to fix while you are on the go and actually wanting to use the system. If I could I'd put 7 on these systems and rather deal with the potential security issues side of it than that BS. Again the developers are complete and utter muppets.

Default 7 is ugly as sin though you must agree lol, completely irrelevant for most though I know, but the lack of security updates now is a sure sign to switch and cope with it.

I use a dark aero glass setup with some modifications - but not black theme more blended - which to my eyes looks a lot nicer - sleeker with a more polished look.

Soldato
Do yourself a favor and move on, Win7 is dead period ie EOL, Win10 is not bad and well supported, there is no real reason to stick to Win7.

You want to use latest CPUs with very old OS?.. Now that is a stupid idea IMHO.

Soldato
I mean I would not in any way recommend people to continue using 7 over the security situation but people thinking they are actually materially safer on 10 are only kidding themselves - there are just so many security issues coming out of the woodwork on 10 that absolutely should not have been there in the first place and suggest there are a lot more to come it isn't funny - if anyone really cares enough about the security situation to make a deal of the difference between 7 and 10 I really hope they are using one of the better implementations of Linux for anything online.

Albeit they are found and patched but there have been single months with more, critical, security issues dealt with in 10 than the entire history of 7 (in over a decade Windows 7 has 1283 CVE listed security vulnerabilities of all types while 10 has chalked up 1111 in under 5 years).

Have you considered that over the last few years security has risen considerably in prominence and as a result you have far more people working in the sector actively trying to find and then report on vulnerabilities in software. If you look at this site showing CVEs by product going back to 1999 you'll see Debian Linux at the top with 3000, but if you look at the actual detail then over 1000 were reported in 2018 alone. Suggesting Windows 10 is not secure because it has almost as many CVEs recorded against it as Windows 7 did is just a really short-sighted interpretation of that data.

Vulnerabilities are always going to exist in software so the important statistic is how quickly a vendor is able to fix them once they're discovered. Windows has so much legacy code in that odds are any vulnerability discovered in Windows 10 is going to exist in earlier versions too, and unless you're a business who bought extended support or you're pirating the Windows 7 security updates they're never going to be fixed in Windows 7. As an end user of Windows the only thing you can do to keep your system as reasonably safe as possible is - as with any OS - to stay on the current version and install the monthly security updates as they're released.

Back
Top Bottom