I bought a coach!

Soldato
LOVE THIS! :D

I bought a sprinter end of last year to convert into a campervan, have a very very basic fit out done (Bed, 12v electrics & solar, and a sofa chucked in there) at the moment which did a week in Cornwall in August fine, but mechanical issues with the van and mechanical issues with my back (A much more expensive repair bill for my back after surgery :() has halter progress.

1600aH of lithium batteries :eek:

Have you considered more 12v than 240v appliances, such as the fridge? Obviously you'll have one of the biggest battery banks around, but i'd still be obsessed with getting power usage as low and as efficient as possible haha!

Subscribed to thread, really excited to see how you get on!

If you ever find yourself in Essex and need a hand with anything let me know, i've become obsessed with conversions over the last few years and can't wait to get stuck back into mine :)

You 'Bus'ting to get back into the conversion then!

Caporegime
It's not outside their house though, and if it isn't what is the problem, or are you merely suggesting the mere presence of it nearby would enrage you?

If it was in suburbia yes I wouldn't like a massive bus parked in the road especially where most people park their cars on drives but in the shot that has been shown that is not the case.

Soldato
OP
LOVE THIS! :D

I bought a sprinter end of last year to convert into a campervan, have a very very basic fit out done (Bed, 12v electrics & solar, and a sofa chucked in there) at the moment which did a week in Cornwall in August fine, but mechanical issues with the van and mechanical issues with my back (A much more expensive repair bill for my back after surgery :() has halter progress.

1600aH of lithium batteries :eek:

Have you considered more 12v than 240v appliances, such as the fridge? Obviously you'll have one of the biggest battery banks around, but i'd still be obsessed with getting power usage as low and as efficient as possible haha!
:)

The conversion is half the fun imho! The main issue with 12v is that they still use the same wattage, are a much higher price, and then they need to step down to 12v from 24v. The cost of buck converters when they will happily run at 98% efficiency from a decent inverter just nullifies the value of 12v in a commercial vehicle. My battery pack will be setup at 24v and have charge inputs from 2nd alternator so the batteries will always be topped off when the coach is running/moving. 24V means I can run a 5kva inverter or 2 even in parallel should I need to. Then you can have a 240v fridge, freezer, washer/dryer etc etc. That leaves the step down to 12v for just the LED lighting and low wattage stuff.

Soldato
OP
If it was in suburbia yes I wouldn't like a massive bus parked in the road especially where most people park their cars on drives but in the shot that has been shown that is not the case.

Ah cool, you see my point now, and yes I agree, parking it in the road would be annoying which is why I am not doing so. I just think they are more selfish than I am considerate... I do hope the replacement airhorn arrives before I move it as obviously it will need testing (j/k) :D

Soldato
The conversion is half the fun imho! The main issue with 12v is that they still use the same wattage, are a much higher price, and then they need to step down to 12v from 24v. The cost of buck converters when they will happily run at 98% efficiency from a decent inverter just nullifies the value of 12v in a commercial vehicle. My battery pack will be setup at 24v and have charge inputs from 2nd alternator so the batteries will always be topped off when the coach is running/moving. 24V means I can run a 5kva inverter or 2 even in parallel should I need to. Then you can have a 240v fridge, freezer, washer/dryer etc etc. That leaves the step down to 12v for just the LED lighting and low wattage stuff.

Ah I didn't see they were 24v! Makes perfect sense now :)

Soldato
With them being 24v, is everything stepped upto 240v so you just plug stuff in as normal then? Sure I've seen some 48v batteries somewhere (no I'm not thinking of you stacking lawnmower batteries, although it would look quite funny). I'm imagining the closer the voltage to 240, the less loses the system will have.

Soldato
OP
With them being 24v, is everything stepped upto 240v so you just plug stuff in as normal then? Sure I've seen some 48v batteries somewhere (no I'm not thinking of you stacking lawnmower batteries, although it would look quite funny). I'm imagining the closer the voltage to 240, the less loses the system will have.

You're changing DC to AC the voltage isn't the main issue with efficiency. Then you have the additional issues of stepping up the 24v to 48v for charging from the alternator and sharing power with the bus batteries. Also the 24v has a lower solar threshold for charging on a cloudy day. 24v is the sweet spot as the amperage draw from the batteries is reasonable. (4500w/0.95)/24v = 200A

A 48v battery would have the same efficiency for a given wattage draw at around 95%

Soldato
It doesn't need to be leasehold to have a covenant restriction, my house is freehold and there is still a restrictive covenant in place. It's largely ignored but I'd imagine wouldn't be if I decided to buy a Volvo FH12 :D
And who do you think has the benefit of that covenant? Chances are unless it's a new build with an established and still active developer it's unknown and untraceable and even if they did know they probably don't care/aren't even aware of it.

Back
Top Bottom