**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Soldato
Okay, so I went with the settings that Captain Lucky dude suggested here (think I left a few settings a smidgen higher like texture synthesis on high), and finally I could play the game with my quest2. Flew a cessna 172 out of zamperini airfield in Torrance CA and flew along the coast, and you know what... it was very awesome. I was getting high 30s/low 40s, occasionally bouncing up to 45fps reprojection. Bit stuttery on occasion, but smooth enough to enjoy it. Not gonna bother with airliners just yet because that is guaranteed to be awful, but man everything was perfectly readable (sharp even, with minor aliasing on the numbers on the radio panel). Bit of motion sickness with turbulence, so need to get my VR legs back, especially with the poor fps. A hort flight in a bumpy little plane was enough for me tonight

Normally I'm heavily CPU bound with my 2700X (and I still am in VR), but VR actually lets my 3080 stretch its legs a bit

From the top this is FPS, Frametimes, GPU usage throughout that short flight

You can see the fps creep up from the mid 30s as I leave the airfield and climb into the hills where it was mostly around the 40fps mark, along with my gpu usage and I become less cpu bound. I'd say that most of the frametime spikes were when I looked around quickly or banked the airplane quickly. the later end of things with the spikier frametimes was when the hills came up below me and I was only a few hundred feet over the ground looking for my old house.

ekS4z4D.jpg

Associate
Certainly sounds better after tweaking! I’m having to wait a little while to try it as don’t currently have a VR Headset. I’m mainly limited by MainThread with my 3600 so wondering if an upgrade to 5600x would be beneficial. Would be paired with an RTX 3070. I’m getting 50-60fps at the moment in GA aircraft with settings on high at 1440p.

Soldato
Try glass cockpit refresh rate on high too, it can actually help smoothness in VR.

Bet it’s looking pretty good with those settings though - what FPS are you getting?

Associate
Try glass cockpit refresh rate on high too, it can actually help smoothness in VR.

Bet it’s looking pretty good with those settings though - what FPS are you getting?
Ill try that thanks for the tip. Im not sure what FPS im getting but even flying into Heathrow its 98% smooth and looks great...Also runing this on a deadicated SSD drive that may help also

Also im sure they will optimize it on future updates as they have done with the pancake version

Soldato
Followed the instruction to run through Open XR, knocking the render scale down to 80%. Had a quick looksie last night after it had done updating, fearing the worst i came away quite pleased with the performance. Not messed around with it or ran through the numbers, but on the highend preset it ran and looked fine. I wouldn't say it was much of a stress test, just in a cessna over sparse african terrain, but the visual was clean and it was stutter free. Messing around with the in game rendering scale, i took it to 140 which did introduce some stutters, 120 was the happy medium.

The sense of scale is very much it's major selling point in VR, the skies and the ground bellow for me beats out the other flying games i've played in VR, perhaps though not as sharp visually as IL-2 maxed out or DCS in the cockpit, but i say that with both of those set at ultra.

The only problem i have now is sourcing a decent controller, i think i need a flight yolk. It felt like the first time i tried a racing game in VR, hard to feel it without that wheel which totally changes the experience.

Soldato
Is anyone playing this using a keyboard and mouse? I've downloaded it for my dad to mess around with over Christmas as he used to fly, so don't want to buy a yoke just for a couple of hours, but the keyboard controls seem super sensitive with no nuance at all. Any ideas?

Soldato
Is anyone playing this using a keyboard and mouse? I've downloaded it for my dad to mess around with over Christmas as he used to fly, so don't want to buy a yoke just for a couple of hours, but the keyboard controls seem super sensitive with no nuance at all. Any ideas?

Have you got a spare game pad?

The best set-up if you haven't got a stick or a yoke is to use a controller for basic movement, with a keyboard for extra keys, and a mouse for clicking on cockpit elements. It's quite playable like this.

Soldato
If anyone is looking for HOTAS stock, the rainforest are taking orders for the X52 Pro for delivery this week. Not a bad price, either.

Soldato
Have you got a spare game pad?

The best set-up if you haven't got a stick or a yoke is to use a controller for basic movement, with a keyboard for extra keys, and a mouse for clicking on cockpit elements. It's quite playable like this.
When I posted that I'd spent ages trying to get my Switch Pro Controller to work unsuccessfully. I finally found some software called ReWASD which has set it up as a virtual Xbox controller and it's working great :)

Soldato
Anybody had issues with the "VR Update" - I just get a CTD if I try to activate VR, otherwise its fine - and VR is working fine with other titles - and pointers appreciated.

Tried directly running it through OpenXR?

I don't know how oculus software operates, but you can reg edit the oculus recognition out and change it to use XR directly. You can grab the Open XR software from the ms store.

Timestamp to the video to around 5 minutes, that guy waffles on quite a bit.

Associate
What's the consensus for VR with this sim ? Worth getting, and if so, which VR device ? I'm not keen on having to link myself to Facebook, so that puts me off Oculus somewhat.

Soldato
I tried using keyboard, mouse but no luck. My son has spare XBox controller which is mych better

Soldato
Thanks; been holding out for the Airbus Officers Pack (Joystick and Throttle) but this looks the business and its actually available!!!

N.P.

Saw it posted on HUKD. Wasn't really the stick I wanted either. But as you say, available product > unavailable product. And the price is reasonably good; not the cheapest it's ever been, but less than the average retail price according to camelcamelcamel.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
N.P.

Saw it posted on HUKD. Wasn't really the stick I wanted either. But as you say, available product > unavailable product. And the price is reasonably good; not the cheapest it's ever been, but less than the average retail price according to camelcamelcamel.

Yeah looks like its been around £110 although that was last year; not too bothered about the extra £20 considering its also free delivery as its Amazon (if it comes!) - was showing as in stock in 1-2 days for delivery on 31/12 when I ordered.
Really wanted the Airbus but the costs of those are ridiculous at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom