Uses of VR

Associate
The focus of VR tends to be on gaming but I was wondering if forum members have experience of, or an interest in, using VR for other purposes? And if so what?

Soldato
I get to rekindle my misspent youth with Kingspray Graffiti. They nailed the experience of being one on one with the can at the wall, it's a perfect VR experience and a really well built APP with the multiplayer and the ambience they've setup. Some extremely talented people use it

Another that does for me is Vinyl Reality. Again something from my formative years that i rarely got to do myself as i couldn't afford a set of decks like a few of my friends. The APP is basically a pair of technics turntables with a 2 channel mixer, proper oldschool. The feeling it kicks off is surreal, you get totally in to it, again one of the best experiences of VR putting you right there, it's perfect! https://store.steampowered.com/app/642770/Vinyl_Reality__DJ_in_VR/

Just a couple of reasons as to why i find VR so enthusing, bringing back awesome things i still want to do.

Soldato
I do my university studies in VR. Only way I can get peace when the missus and our daughter are in the house as my PC is in the living room. Stick the Quest on with some noise cancelling headphones and I'm completely oblivious to the hyper toddler playing behind me.

It's not perfect. Logitech's new VR keyboard would help immensely. But being stuck in the house in Tier 3, it's the best option I've got.

Soldato
Medical uses was one of those I was aware of... pain management, phobias, public education etc
In general VR doesn't really work for many education settings. There are a few exceptions which might be classed as educational like you go a museum or planetarium and there are VR headsets to use. There are a few other very limited use's but in general use for most education classrooms its not really any good from what I have seen.

Associate
OP
In general VR doesn't really work for many education settings. There are a few exceptions which might be classed as educational like you go a museum or planetarium and there are VR headsets to use. There are a few other very limited use's but in general use for most education classrooms its not really any good from what I have seen.
Sorry I meant patient education. Potentially there is great scope to use VR to demonstrate to patients how a procedure works, what the outcomes might occur etc.

Caporegime
Sorry I meant patient education. Potentially there is great scope to use VR to demonstrate to patients how a procedure works, what the outcomes might occur etc.

Augmented reality works very well here. I know a few places that have massive rooms, working on aircraft or diverting air traffic simulators etc. Works so well they even use them for exams I believe. I'd imagine they'll eventually go vr.

Soldato
That to me seems more trouble then its worth in most situations. There are a lot of drawbacks and not really that much benefit. I am not really sure how its benefits the patient or doctor in showing a full VR of the procedure. Right now I cannot think of a procedure I would benefit from seeing in VR.

You are better off looking at more practical uses. Like after getting a new house or kitchen design and converting the CAD design once near finalized into a free VR tour of the new kitchen to double check and get a feel for layout.

Associate
OP
You are better off looking at more practical uses. Like after getting a new house or kitchen design and converting the CAD design once near finalized into a free VR tour of the new kitchen to double check and get a feel for layout.

That's a good idea. Like 3D modeling taken to its logical conclusion.

Soldato
We have various VR training modules at work, often around pipeline and confined spaces entry, and another that models all the utilities junk buried under London streets.
The one that got loads of awards was this mental health awareness course, where you're wearing a Vive and get to experience various conditions, such as what it's like to be autistic... although in my case I probably don't need the headset!

Back
Top Bottom