What TV shows are you currently watching

Soldato
The orginal or the US remake? The original is very Mexican soap opera. The remake is decent enough. It's bit like a 7pm show rather than a prime time event.

Is the remake Queen of the South? If so I lasted 3 episodes before I couldn't handle any more of the campy over acting. Didn't help I tried to watch on the back of Narcos.

Soldato
Not sure how far through all the series I am but I was expecting something... better based on how much some people gush about the show. I was expecting something mind blowingly good and what I got was an enjoyable comedy that doesn't really do anything special or new. Kind of a bit take it or leave it.

Very much in the same vane as "the good place". Enjoyable but not something that I would say is "must watch" or anything more than good.

With regards to the SJW angle, I haven't heard anyone complain about it in that regard. There are plenty of shows that I do really dislike for that reason but its because of the hamfisted way they handle it. Maybe I haven't got to that bit in Schitts Creek but so far its just natural. Its a character driven story about relationships and family.

There seems to be a false dichotomy that says you either have to think all the SJW stuff is wonderful or awful and there is no room for any contextual opinions on these things. Most people don't care about portraying any SJW topics in their shows, they just want them done well rather than poorly shoehorned in. Current rhetoric can't reconcile that though. If you don't like a episode that deals with these topics you clearly only disliked it because you hate group X or Y.

Either way, perhaps as I watch more I will see what you are talking about. Think I'm maybe 3-4 seasons in.

I've never seen the good place but maybe I'll give it a watch once I've got a bit of time.

I was probably being a bit hyperbolic regarding the SJW stuff, it's just a relationship with one of the characters but it's no big deal or anything made out of it, just a natural relationship between two people and it's really nice to see a TV show just have it in without making a big song and dance about it.

You've said it the best to be honest
but so far its just natural. Its a character driven story about relationships and family.
which is why people shouldn't have an issue with it but I've seen people moan about smaller things so you never know!

fez

fez

Caporegime
I've never seen the good place but maybe I'll give it a watch once I've got a bit of time

Its good, it just suffers from the same thing almost all successful shows do these days. A tight 1-2 season idea is stretched out to be 5 seasons or longer and it get more silly and becomes a parody of itself.

Worth a watch though.

Soldato
I didn't like the characters and felt no sympathy at all to the situation and the 'backward' town folk just seemed a total cliche.

I think I thought this in the first ep, but I'm just starting into the second season now and loving David for example. So well acted and just a great character. Some of the others are still a little annoying (such as 'Kevin's Mum' :) ).

Soldato
I think I thought this in the first ep, but I'm just starting into the second season now and loving David for example. So well acted and just a great character. Some of the others are still a little annoying (such as 'Kevin's Mum' :) ).

Nooo! Moira is one of my favourite characters. Her over exaggeration on everything "DAVID!!!" and her funny pronunciation makes me laugh

All the characters grew on me. I didn't like Alexis at first but find her mannerisms super funny

I love/hate Bob with his floppy joints.

Soldato
The only character I'm not fond of is probably Mutt. He's really boring but I think that's down to design.

I find Ted the much better person for Alexis, with his terrible puns

Soldato
War of the worlds on fox.

0/10 absolutely the worst series I have ever watched, no resemblance to anything in the title, dull and a complete snooze fest.

No tripods
No martians.
No suspense.
No action.
No nothing.
Just no.

Soldato
Finished Mandalorian season 2 last night and will echo a few other comments that the final episode is truly great, the rest of the series is good, it's not worth the high and lofty pedestal it's been put on though.

Tiresome chases, rapidly multiplying stormtroopers who are easily killed...yes we know they're a bad shot, we don't need a reminder every episode, totally formulaic episode formats.

For the grumbles though, it absolutely captures the spirit of Star Wars and is mostly entertaining, baby Yoda is great in every scene and re-emphasises the use of a puppet over CGI.

So many cameos, my favourite of which was Richard Brake but honourable mentions to Timothy Olyphant, Titus Welliver and Michael Biehn.

Overall, maybe an 8/10 series, great moments across both seasons let down by some poor narrative choices and lazy writing and poor guest directors, Bryce Dallas Howard, i'm looking at you, weakest episodes of both seasons directed by her.

Soldato
Currently watching Silicon Valley. Seen the first 2 series so far and I'm enjoying it though I have to say I really want to beat up the main character as he is so ******* stupid and annoying.

Erlich? Yeah, he's the weakest point of the show. Otherwise it's probably my favourite comedy of the last 5 or so years.

Permabanned
Schitts Creek is just consistently good, it never makes you ROFL as such but its consistently amusing and just works really well throughout. :) I dont find it particularly SJW/woke, felt the story just worked with those characters, but then that kind of stuff doesn't really bother me anyway.

Back
Top Bottom