• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 6900/6950 XT Owners Thread.

Associate
Also joined the 6900XT club today: https://i.imgur.com/4KzEHhQ.jpg

It replaces a 5700XT. Very happy with the purchase. Had to be very picky with which GPUs I could buy as my case (ITX NCASE M1) has very limited room for GPU (+ PSU in general) support. The 5700XT was an absolute bugger to squeeze into the case but this fits perfectly with a lot of room to spare.

Man of Honour
OP
Welcome all and on TROH.:)

The Roll of Honour.

XM8L91W.png

Date 23/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, Diplodocus, Link
Date 23/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, DeathStorm, Link
Date 23/12/2020, Make PowerColor Red Devil, Jonnym28, Link
Date 17/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, DustyMiller, Link
Date 16/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, Curlyriff, Link
Date 16/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, Chewie, Link
Date 16/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, Too Tall, Link

To get on the Roll of Honour all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your Radeon RX 6900 XT.

Associate
My sapphire nitro+ arrived today, something I didn't expect to buy, but it was the only thing I've managed to get in the basket since that dark day in September:)

No time to install until Boxing Day though and no buyers remorse............yet!

Associate
I bought a sapphire 6900xt the other day. It's just the reference card in a sapphire box. I have pretty bad coil whine as well. It has reduced a little in the last few days but it's the loudest coil whine I've ever heard.

https://imgur.com/a/JkyZDSr

LYxTAEF.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
People aren't kidding when they say these new gpus are huge! Didn't expect the fit to be this tight. Also noticed that one of my ram sticks is dead....

Wonder if plugging in the gpu changed something, installing gpu drivers as I write

Edit: ram back to life. Nothing after restart so reinstalled ram and that did the trick.... Strange

20201224-151622.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
People aren't kidding when they say these new gpus are huge! Didn't expect the fit to be this tight. Also noticed that one of my ram sticks is dead....

Wonder if plugging in the gpu changed something, installing gpu drivers as I write

Edit: ram back to life. Nothing after restart so reinstalled ram and that did the trick.... Strange

20201224-151622.jpg

Might have nudged it a bit with the gpu when putting it in?

Associate
LYxTAEF

script>

I bought a sapphire 6900xt the other day. It's just the reference card in a sapphire box. I have pretty bad coil whine as well. It has reduced a little in the last few days but it's the loudest coil whine I've ever heard.

https://imgur.com/a/JkyZDSr

My coil whine is pretty bad too actually, Jeez. Let's see if it resolves itself

Sounds less whiney, more like static though, not sure if same thing?

Associate
Wow sounds like I’m very lucky to have none with mine :eek:

Have you guys actually checked if the whine is coming for the 6900 XT or your power supply? Seen quite a few threads with people having 6800 XT where they actually found that the whine was in fact coming from their PSU. Unfortunately in these case the only way it seems to have been resolved was by swapping the PSU for another model/brand.

Associate
Unless i am mistaken Nobody in the world has reviewed a 6900XT red devil so if you can be bothered, buy a £15 socket meter and tell us :)
Fwiw, tried to run time spy extreme with a new 1000w psu. Computer screen went black, everything off except ram RGB.

I suppose that either answers the question or I got some ****** up psu?

Edit: card probably isn't over drawing, I just hadn't plugged in the third pin, on a separate pcie cable like an idiot

Last edited:
Soldato
Fwiw, tried to run time spy extreme with a new 1000w psu. Computer screen went black, everything off except ram RGB.

I suppose that either answers the question or I got some ****** up psu?

what make 1000w psu? it might just be a case of making sure the right 8-pin cables going into the GPU are connected to the right connector on the PSU.

the 6900XT reference PCB board is rated for 330 watts peak, it is unlikely that the board will trip a 1000w psu unless something is wrong with either the configuration or the PSU itself. If non-reference it probably will draw 380-400 watts peak.

I would check the cables first and then swap the PSU back. for a quicktest. you could also just run the GPU on your secondary psu, just to test, with nothing else connected to the PSU.

Associate
what make 1000w psu? it might just be a case of making sure the right 8-pin cables going into the GPU are connected to the right connector on the PSU.

the 6900XT reference PCB board is rated for 330 watts peak, it is unlikely that the board will trip a 1000w psu unless something is wrong with either the configuration or the PSU itself. If non-reference it probably will draw 380-400 watts peak.

I would check the cables first and then swap the PSU back. for a quicktest. you could also just run the GPU on your secondary psu, just to test, with nothing else connected to the PSU.

Corsair RM1000i

However!.... I also just realised that I only plugged in 2 of the three pins.... Hopefully that hasn't damaged my card? Lols...

Soldato
Corsair RM1000i

However!.... I also just realised that I only plugged in 2 of the three pins.... Hopefully that hasn't damaged my card? Lols...

If its just a missing power cord the system will go black simply because the GPU cut out because it ran out of power. It would not have damaged the card in any way.

With that PSU, if you plug the right cables in and install the Corsair icue software, it will tell you exactly how much power the GPU is pulling through the 3 cables.

Soldato
I haven't done anything because I have finally finished the setup and have the most awful coil-whine that has just started and am now in process of RMA for it! You can hear it from outside the room. Seems like this a pretty big issue considering sample numbers!

Edit: Deffo the GPU as well. I have tried two PSU's and both got same issue and you can clearly hear it is from GPU as mine is vertically mounted at front of case.

Associate
My coil whine is pretty bad too actually, Jeez. Let's see if it resolves itself

Sounds less whiney, more like static though, not sure if same thing?

I think it's the same thing. For me, it's not just how loud it is, it's how the noise changes depending on the GPU load (I guess). When the FPS is above 200, it sounds like I have a spectrum tape deck that's been sucking down helium gas in my pc.

I've tried a cooler master 1000W M2 and a corsair RM750x and the whine is the same using both power supplies. Having put a bit of thought and effort into making this PC nice and quiet, it's kind of been spoilt a bit by what is the single most expensive component in it.

Back
Top Bottom