Why you SHOULD be using Firefox

Caporegime
wow seems much faster and twitch seems to use a lot less memory

youtube seems slow to get the videos loaded, could just be youtube though

Last edited:
Associate
If speed is what your after with a Chrome alternative give Edge ago, Microsoft have managed to work magic on it for speed and ram usage. I'm finding myself using Edge more at home than FF these days even with the speed boost in 83 Edge still 'feels' faster.

The new Edge is excellent, only reason I haven’t fully moved over is the lack of password generation but that might change soon as Microsoft are adding cross-platform password management with their Authenticator app.

Soldato
Edge Chromium here too. It just works, can't say I've had any browsing problems or responsiveness issues or lag. Never crashed for me once, and I've used it since first release. It comes with built in ad blocking / tracking blocking that you can set to your taste and if you want you can still use extensions, such as AdGuard over the top. And you can install extensions from other stores if you wish. Not noticed any rendering issues. I'd recommend people give it a try.

Soldato
Which sites are people using where performance is an issue? Don't think I have ever been to a site that made me think the browser was slow. I don't use that many sites though and never have more than two or three tabs open, manly just one tab.

Soldato
Which sites are people using where performance is an issue? Don't think I have ever been to a site that made me think the browser was slow. I don't use that many sites though and never have more than two or three tabs open, manly just one tab.

Youtube and Twitch seem to be the sites most people on the subreddit complain about.

Soldato
Firefox is considerably slower to load web pages than edge or chrome on my bros haswell pentium dual core. Firefox seems to bog down on ad loading speed.

uBlock Origin. I don't know how anyone can use the 'modern' web without it tbh. If you care to spend 20 mins learning how it works, setting it in Hard Mode, or even Medium Mode will transform your Internet experience (in any browser).

If you insist on not running a content blocker, the slow-down is probably related to Firefox's inbuilt tracking protection and HTTPS/OCSP enforcement and SSL settings. Firefox is only a small fraction of a second slower than Chromium when loading pages for me, and that's only because I have encrypted DNS and encrypted SNI enabled. Chromium doesn't support reliably either of those features, and is thus a fraction 'faster'. Once the initial connection is made (i.e. DNS resolved, certs validated etc) it's as fast as any other browser/engine going forward... until I close the browser and the in-memory cache clears, as I have offline cache disabled for security/privacy reasons.

Edit: For those who won't click through, here's a typical website's connections to third parties with and without uBlock Origin. It nicely illustrates why the modern web feels so 'slow' without an adblocker.

ubo.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep one day i put adblock on and when he used the browser he was complaining. I cant go on the web without a adblock. Even got rid if chrome on my phone for edge since it has built in adblocking.

Back
Top Bottom