US: Star Trek: Discovery

The trouble with the mirror universe is the episode of TNG called Parallels. There were an infinite number of possible universes in that episode, each was a little different. Why do we keep getting this boring version were Earth is run by Nazis and everyone is a Nazi with sensitive eyes. Or did they forget the eyes part?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
did they forget the eyes part?

I think they forgot that almost as soon as they introduced it. Certainly !Georgiou hasn't shown any sign of it IIRC. It was just a way for the writers to pull their "see, Lorca is from the mirror universe! We tricked you because we're clever, plus we have absolute contempt for our audience so don't see the possibility that you long since worked this one out!" trick.

Soldato
MU for Trek is like the Daleks for Dr Who. They keep running back there to jump the shark because it's a fan favourite, but it's a sad indictment of Kurtzman Trek that people like the MU episodes (which are nothing more than a diversion) more than they like the main show. They fact that the writers have used it so much in only thirty episodes of STD shows how creatively bankrupt the show is. It's not even a concept they came up with themselves.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I get just as much enjoyment from this thread as watching the show, I just know its going to disappointing but the thread gives out the level of crapness that is to be expected :)

Associate
so anyone want to take a bet, that by the the end of the season starfleet will be on it knees ready to be destroyed, when even Georgiou will show up with a fleet she has build in the past

Soldato
Boy was the last 2 episodes terrible.. I also feel ashamed for thinking i would have a go on the evil tilly with her maniacal grin and karen hair cut.. :D

Great waste of a couple of episodes to get rid of one of the only characters on the show i like.

From what i can remember i have mostly enjoyed the mirror universe episodes in the past (the DS9 ones were a bit meh but the enterprise one was great imo) but this was just dire really.

Caporegime
Binged the last 3 episodes last night... man this is getting terrible. There were so many WTF moments, so many cringe moments... even my friend who is usually not very critical was getting annoyed.

Philipps Georgia is one of the worst damn characters I have ever seen in any Star Trek. Michelle Yeohs acting in this show is just awful, her script is atrocious and her delivery of every unnecessary "OMGIMTRYINGSOHARDTOBEBADASS" line, in her stilted and awkward accent, was like torture to the ears. The Terran scenes were just so awfully done and everyone looked so camp, awkward and unnatural in their "reverse" roles that it was in turn uncomfortable for me to watch. Georgiou, despite being fully responsible for everything the Terrans stood for and despite having committed multiple holocausts of multiple races, all of a sudden acted like she was the saviour of the Terran conscience? Ludicrous and insulting to everyone's intelligence. Then, to see Burnham at the portal all of a sudden act like Georgiou was like a 'sister and mother was just bizarre... their relationship throughout the show was nothing whatsoever like that. To spend 2 entire damn episodes on Georgiou's story was an affront to every viewer... and now I read she is getting her own spinoff? Truly the creators of this show have quite literally lost the plot. The Guardian of Forever they dredged from previous series was shoe-horned into the show in such a baffling way to people who don't know that lore and history that I had absolutely no ****ing clue what was going on until I Googled it.

The last episode with the Kelpian 'child' was also hardly worth mentioning and it's supposed to be the big reveal for... The Burn? What an utter anti-climax. Seeing Saru as a human was jarring and was just clearly done as a circle-jerk for the actor and served zero plot purpose other than to show us what an unusual looking guy he is, something I really could have done without in order to retain some immersion in this show.

So many other things just make no sense but i can't be arsed to spend more time listing them. This show is just dire now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom