Sharpening knives

Associate
Being in London I've got access to professional knife sharpening services.

Am currently using Zwilling 4 Star knives.

Cost of having them sharpened twice a year is all adding up.

Was thinking of investing in an electric sharpener namely the WorkSharp E5 as it was recommended by the local cookshop.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks.

Associate
As others have said get a whetstone (or 2) and buy yourself a cheap chef's knife to practice on if you haven't done it before. You don't want to be aggressively ripping off metal,especially with expensive knives, which is what the electric ones, and most other sharpening systems, do. I use a combo 1000/4000 grit stone, which works well, however if your knives are really blunt you could start lower, like a 400/1000 before working up the grits to something like a 3000/8000 for a finer finish. I rarely have to sharpen them more than once a year, just using a steel to realign the edge is usually enough after it has been sharpened properly.

There are plenty of videos on youtube of how to do it, just make sure to thoroughly soak your stones before use, and keep them wet while sharpening. And, most importantly, be patient. It does take time but the results are usually much better, and longer lasting, than you can ever get from a sharpener.

Associate
Learn how to do it yourself, it's worth the effort. Make sure keep them sharp, really you just want to be putting the finish back on to them each time. Rather than starting from a dull blade, I think that's the key.

Soldato
I have tried all sorts of sharpeners including whetstones without much luck - it's something I just find a PITA and do not have patience - I now have a Worksharp but not the one you linked to and find it does the job for me -The belts are fine grit and finish grit you can hardly feel - like a leather strop and I can cut paper with them after -They are not top of range knives - just John Lewis and Sabatier.

https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/sharpeners/powered/original-knife-tool-sharpener/

PS you can find these in the UK

Associate
While I do believe whetstones create the best edges, I use them now and again. I don't have the time (cant be arsed!) to use them. I do have one of these...

Well, the Ken Onion version anyway. The angle of the standard Worksharp is 25° whereas the Ken Onion machine goes down to 15° and is adjustable, which is what I use.

If you want to learn to sharpen knives properly, get some good whetstones and put in the time and effort. But if you just want some sharp knives quickly and easily get something else, I'd recommend...

https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/sharpeners/powered/ken-onion-edition-knife-tool-sharpener/

Also, learn what a steel does and how to use one properly, if you don't already know.

Back
Top Bottom