A few questions about going from Sky ADSL to FTTC

Ace

Ace

Associate
I've had ADSL with Sky for many years now and never really looked into upgrading as 20mbit was fast enough for the little downloading that I do. But since my contract was up it was cheaper to get FTTC than stay with ADSL, they're sending me a new box but I think I can stick to using the old trusty Billion 7800n?

When I first applied for FTTC they said they were sending someone out, I guess to fit cable(s) but now they're saying it's all automated and no one needs to come in. Is this correct? I have one of those replacement covers on the outlet that has a filter built in, is that going to cause a problem?

One final question, I do quite a bit of online gaming so I'd like the ping to be as long as possible. When I first got ADSL I had to ask them to change my profile or something to lower my ping, is that still a thing and something I will need to do with fibre?

Thanks, and happy xmas. :)

Soldato
Short version is sit back and wait for the hardware to arrive, plug in and enjoy. You will have a new training period on the line so the first 10 days may be slightly more disruptive as the line goes through the DLM and adjusts your profile. Your Billion is seriously ancient, firmware hasn't been released for it in years iirc, this is one of those situations where the supplied router is going to be a significant upgrade.

Soldato
The 7800N doesn't have a built in VDSL modem so it won't work unless you use a separate modem connected to the Ethernet WAN port. I wouldn't suggest this though because it's absolutely ancient and depending on your sync speed the routing performance might be a bottleneck.

Having a faceplate filter is a good thing and won't cause any problems.

Ace

Ace

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies, so no one will be sent out to fit any cable either inside or outside then?

The 7800N may be old but it's been rock solid for many years, but I guess it's time to retire the old girl. :)

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom