• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Possible faulty cpu?

Associate
Hey,
Just looking for some help if possible. I've recently finished my pc build yesterday, 25th, and even though everything looks like it's working just fine. I've been getting some blue screens every now and then.

The build goes something like:
- 5900x
- x570 asus rog strix E
- 3060 ti
- 32gb 3200mhz cl16
- 850w gold
- Noctua d15 for cooler

Everything seems to be working fine. The PC boots perfectly. Once I got a 0x124 blue screen pointing a hardware being faulty I went straight into running some stress tests.
The GPU didn't have any problems with FurMark and some others benchmarks. It kept itself cool and running as expected. The fans were spinning within normal expectations
The motherboard was fully updated - bios, chipset etc - and like the gpu, is working as expected.

I thought it could be a faulty ram but after 2-3 runs of memtest86 with no issues presented, I'm safe to believe the ram is fine too.

For cooling, the noctua cooler is insane. Works perfectly and the cpu is barely reaching high temperatures during intense use.

The only thing left for me is to put doubts on the CPU.. I've read how some other members here received some faulty CPUS and had to do an RMA. I'm wondering if that is my case or not. Any ways I can confirm this?

Thank for any help in advance

Associate
I wouldn't discard the possibility of the CPU being faulty, but is rarer than other components. Is the RAM running at their intended speed? Not so common now, more like a 1000 series Ryzen issue, but you may try knock down a bit the RAM speed, just.to check if any improvement is achieved.

Associate
OP
I wouldn't discard the possibility of the CPU being faulty, but is rarer than other components. Is the RAM running at their intended speed? Not so common now, more like a 1000 series Ryzen issue, but you may try knock down a bit the RAM speed, just.to check if any improvement is achieved.
It's running at the speed I wanted it to run no problems there. It ran through 3 memtest, a couple of hours non stop, and didn't have any issues. I'll try going for a slower speed but I'm confident the RAM seems fine

Soldato
Are you running the latest official bios or latest beta? Have you tried running without XMP? Or at least with the ram at 3200 or lower?

Associate
OP
Are you running the latest official bios or latest beta? Have you tried running without XMP? Or at least with the ram at 3200 or lower?
Official Bios. Haven't tried different speeds other than 3200. I'm not confident enough to play around with OC RAM so I only go up to where the RAM takes normally.
After what MrPotato said, I'll try lowering the RAM speed and giving it a go.

Just checked the RAM voltage and it's within an expected range so it might be either a faulty RAM or CPU. Let's hope it's RAM. I'll come back here if the crashes again

Soldato
Official Bios. Haven't tried different speeds other than 3200. I'm not confident enough to play around with OC RAM so I only go up to where the RAM takes normally.
After what MrPotato said, I'll try lowering the RAM speed and giving it a go.

Just checked the RAM voltage and it's within an expected range so it might be either a faulty RAM or CPU. Let's hope it's RAM. I'll come back here if the crashes again

Remember that when you're playing with the ram speed on Ryzen, you're actually changing 3 things (Assuming your mobo is set to auto and adjusting them for you). The ram speed, the infinity fabric clock, and the memory controller clock. This is where the vast majority of issues seem to stem from with the 5000 chips and BSOD's/WHEA errors. This is also what seems to be getting gradually fixed with bios updates, which is why I'd suggest trying the latest beta rather than latest official. Latest official for my Gigabyte X570 is just constant WHEA errors for me, but F31o beta has been great.

Associate
OP
Remember that when you're playing with the ram speed on Ryzen, you're actually changing 3 things (Assuming your mobo is set to auto and adjusting them for you). The ram speed, the infinity fabric clock, and the memory controller clock. This is where the vast majority of issues seem to stem from with the 5000 chips and BSOD's/WHEA errors. This is also what seems to be getting gradually fixed with bios updates, which is why I'd suggest trying the latest beta rather than latest official. Latest official for my Gigabyte X570 is just constant WHEA errors for me, but F31o beta has been great.
It was working under an XMP profile. I changed it to Auto and readjusted the RAM speed and the others manually to a speed slightly slower than 3200. WHEA error is the one I'm getting. I'll see if ASUS got any new Bios/Chipset beta tests around.

Soldato
Possibly a bit of both, hopefully new bios is released soon that's more stable

personally I think the current bios files for zen 3 is just unstable period and if the cpu happens to be a lower quality binned die then it may pass some threshold leading to a crash

Associate
These new ryzen 5000 cpu's can be difficult to set up right in the bios, plus as mentioned above board makers are still working on bios revisions for all boards. the best bios i have found on gigabyte is F31o it seems to run all the 5950x cpu's i have used for system builds.
once you have found a bios that works for your board they all run 100% and there is not a lot to choose between the CPU's at all. yet on an early bios release i had crashing, WHEA errors and all sorts. i think Zen 3 support from the off was poor and shows in all the threads about
WHEA errors and crashing. some blaming M/B bios and some even RMA the cpu. On the system builds i have done i have used Gigabyte master boards and now with bios f31o every one has been 100% stable. But have to say at first i was ahhhhh zen 3 nightmare.

Soldato
MSI x570 tomohawk and 5800x working perfectly here with the latest beta bios.

I think as above it's finding the right combo, obviously with the hardware being so new and plus stock levels, that easier said than done.

Back
Top Bottom