US: Star Trek: Discovery

Caporegime
So they dragged out a season long arc, sometimes in an excruciating slow way, to reveal it's a Kelpian having mood swings?

Last edited:

SPG

SPG

Soldato
When Harry Potter meets StarTrek...

Yes it really is as bad as it's sounds.... Just when you think this show couldn't get any worse it pulls It out of the bag.

Stunning, for all the wrong reasons.

Last edited:
Soldato
Boy was the last 2 episodes terrible.. I also feel ashamed for thinking i would have a go on the evil tilly with her maniacal grin and karen hair cut.. :D

Great waste of a couple of episodes to get rid of one of the only characters on the show i like.

From what i can remember i have mostly enjoyed the mirror universe episodes in the past (the DS9 ones were a bit meh but the enterprise one was great imo) but this was just dire really.

Evil Tilly sounds even worse than Inept Tilly. Her character was a “suspension of disbelief” breaker from the start. How can someone that you wouldn’t trust to stack shelves in a supermarket be a Starfleet ensign.

Associate
Boy was the last 2 episodes terrible.. I also feel ashamed for thinking i would have a go on the evil tilly with her maniacal grin and karen hair cut.. :D

Great waste of a couple of episodes to get rid of one of the only characters on the show i like.

From what i can remember i have mostly enjoyed the mirror universe episodes in the past (the DS9 ones were a bit meh but the enterprise one was great imo) but this was just dire really.

Rapidly losing interest now , Short attention span anyway but i feel they are stretching things a bit too far now. Was not impressed with the latest episode at all.

Soldato
I don't really care that this isn't 'traditional star trek' and wasn't too put off by the first few episodes of the season but I have to admit I haven't bothered watching past 8 yet. It doesn't sound like it got any better.

Soldato
I thought it was a good episode, but Tilly is not a No1, never mind Captain - it's like a dad bringing their kid to work day, "Have a sit in the Captains chair, but ffs don't touch anything".

Even given the lines, she still came across as a angst teenager as oppose to a seasoned captain with gravitas.

Also Osira - crap villain too - where do they get these actresses? Felt more like a playground spat when they faced off at one another as oppose to Kirk/Khan scenario :(

Soldato
I've generally been ok with Season 3.
Not great, but not bad.
But this last episode really grated on me.

Holographic shells apparently changing your entire physiology, a tragedy with trillions of deaths seemingly caused by a tantrum (that you just know is going to be solved with touchy feely..er... feelings, an ensign being left in charge of the most sought after ship in the galaxy when they know it's being hunted, the emerald chain knowing EXTACTLY where to beam to to stop Discovery jumping and also somehow knowing that wrapping the ship in tentacles during a jump is going to work just fine.

JESUS CHRIST !!!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Evil Tilly sounds even worse than Inept Tilly. Her character was a “suspension of disbelief” breaker from the start. How can someone that you wouldn’t trust to stack shelves in a supermarket be a Starfleet ensign.
+1

We gave up on this show halfway through the first episode of this season. This simply is not Star Trek. Too painful to watch.

I was hoping for more section 31, not this tripe. This show is easily the worst star trek show of them all.

Soldato
i'm just still amazed how this show managed to convince the network that it was a good idea to make the ship spin 360 on a jump.

Soldato
Star Trek like any other good sci-fi always had and has to have a sense of grounding and realism. One key anchor point that is relatable and functional.

For Star Trek this was fundamentally through respecting chain of command and anchorage to typical military structure. This meant every relationship, even between the captain and officers had always had a sense of professionalism and respect, with bonds being established through and in context to this.

Without that discipline, the premise of the Trek universe and components couldn't and doesn't sucessfully function. Something every Trek series achieved until now.

This is where Discovery has completely failed most notably in S3.

Even Amazon's Picard managed to maintain this and although the plot was a little weak it still felt like Trek.

The science and engineering components underpinning all the Star Trek series from time and space travel, multi-unniverses, gods/demi-gods, species actualisation & abilities to The Q is the entertainment and can be as radical as imagined.

Soldato
The minute Netflix forced on the swearing and use of they and them pronouns, and non binary relationships it was doomed.

Do you actually have any evidence of that given the show is actually produced by CBS and not Netflix?

Star Trek has always been pushing things like social justice, that’s never made the show bad. That scene was about 30 seconds in what 8+ hours of television. Bad writing has made the show bad and has nothing to do with pushing any sort of agenda.

if anything I would say Star Trek is behind the times these days on that front. Billions had an almost identical scene in it years ago.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Bad writing has made the show bad and has nothing to do with pushing any sort of agenda.

Quite. But it apparently suits people better to whine about 'the LGBTQ+ agenda' rather than continuity being out to lunch or the excessive ShakyCam™ and pacing issues on non-Frakes episodes or SMG not being able to act or...

Soldato
The minute Netflix forced on the swearing and use of they and them pronouns, and non binary relationships it was doomed.

It was the same for Picard, and Netflix had nothing to do with that. The issue is that Kurtzman Trek is terrible. That's got nothing to do with the distributor.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
i'm just still amazed how this show managed to convince the network that it was a good idea to make the ship spin 360 on a jump.
Haha. That’s the least of the worry’s for this show. They should have made it as is but without using the Star Trek name which they dragged through the mud.

Back
Top Bottom