MSI's X570 Tomahawk May Become Go-To OC Board??

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Oh that's mad that, my Gigabyte Aorus 3080 Master fits my x570 Tomahawk in my case, I do however have 2x M.2 drives only.

Hey buddy, I have the Noctura NH-D15 chromax.black installed with this MOBO and I've got all 4x RAM slots occupied, my memory is https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3600mhz-quad-channel-kit-black-my-095-tg.html,

Here are the RAM clearance info from their website too, I had to refer to this also: https://noctua.at/en/how-big-is-the...e-does-it-provide-for-ram-and-chipset-coolers

here are the dimensions from Team Group's website for my RAM: Dimensions 48(H) x 134(L) x 9(W)mm,

You might need to make sure you have a nice sized case as you'll need to lift the fan a little higher due to the size of the RAM.

I hope this helps, happy building!

I think you can take the heat spreader off that RAM if you want to move your fan closer to center.

Associate
Honestly, I'm not sure it's worth manually overclocking the CPU... Put your time and effort into the nice RAM sticks you have.

Personally, I'm going to turn PBO off (when my CPU finally arrives and I can build my new rig)... I'm not convinced the small boost is worth it and so many reports of excessive volts.

What does the PBO do ? Someone on here mentioned dropping the CPU volt down to 1.2 and that helped drop the temps

Associate
I think you can take the heat spreader off that RAM if you want to move your fan closer to center.

I did see that was an option a while back but decided not to as I'm running 1.5v as I'm running at 3800MHz and IF 1900 CL 14.

Plus the Phanteks P600S is a big ole boy in size :p

Thank you though.

Last edited:

Stu

Stu

Soldato
What does the PBO do ? Someone on here mentioned dropping the CPU volt down to 1.2 and that helped drop the temps

It basically removes the power limit to "let the processor free" and try to boost itself further, but I get the impression that the CPU is drawing more volts than many are comfortable with for long term use.

Associate
Evening all I fitted the Noctura NH-D15S chromax.black and the difference is massive

Idle CPU is now 51 rather than 64 and getting more FPS in COD now. Also the temps overall have dropped in the case so really happy

Just wondering the heatsink or even the pipes off the CPU onto the heat sink are cool is that right ? If so its a pretty amazing cooler

Soldato
Evening all I fitted the Noctura NH-D15S chromax.black and the difference is massive

Idle CPU is now 51 rather than 64 and getting more FPS in COD now. Also the temps overall have dropped in the case so really happy

Just wondering the heatsink or even the pipes off the CPU onto the heat sink are cool is that right ? If so its a pretty amazing cooler

I would check the mounting of the cooler personally. If the heatpipes at the base of the cooler are cool that suggests heat isn't being transferred away from the cpu. 51°c sounds high at idle to me. My 5600x currently at stock only hits 45°c at load when all cores boost to ~4450mhz. Thats watercooled but I wouldn't expect the different to be as much as it is between your cooling and mine

Soldato
Anyone with this motherboard and a 5600x had problems regards to all cores not boosting very high? With all settings at default except for XMP profile and a modified fan curve, all cores won’t boost past 4050 when using a multi core test like cinebench, and the volts look fairly low to me (around 1.1). Single core boosting is OK (although Ryzen software reports it as 4.6 max potential and not 4.7 like it should be).

PBO is off, temps are not a problem, windows power profile tried both balance and ultimate, makes no odds. With PBO enabled the cores will all boost much higher, but the cost is a huge increase in heat (55c vs 80c) and not a particularly worthy increase in performance.

It’s almost like the board is limiting the CPU from boosting past 4050 in its default state, either on account of power or something else. Ryzen master also notes that the CPU has a PPT of 76w, but I’m sure the spec of these CPU’s is 88 ppt. Some odd stuff going on.

Soldato
Anyone with this motherboard and a 5600x had problems regards to all cores not boosting very high?

Doesn't seem to be any issues here. Everything is currently at stock except RAM set to 3600mhz and timings tweaked and PBO disabled. When running RealBench all cores boost to around 4450mhz with about 1.15v. With PBO enabled i get 4650mhz on all cores but with 1.3v.

5600x single core boost is 4.6ghz, not 4.7ghz btw

Soldato
Doesn't seem to be any issues here. Everything is currently at stock except RAM set to 3600mhz and timings tweaked and PBO disabled. When running RealBench all cores boost to around 4450mhz with about 1.15v. With PBO enabled i get 4650mhz on all cores but with 1.3v.

5600x single core boost is 4.6ghz, not 4.7ghz btw

Yeah my mistake reference 4.7 :)

Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me, my cores won’t boost past 4050 at default settings. What bios are you running?

Associate
So I took the heat sink off and yes 100% fitted correctly and touching the CPU

I checked the CPU temp in the BIOS and its showing 29

IMG-6637.jpg

When using MSI Dragon Centre its showing 50 so must be wrong

IMG-6638.jpg

Associate
Had my tomahawk with a 5800x for a few weeks now and it’s been running without any issues. 5800x boost well and ram has been stable at 3600 c16.

Never used MSI before but happy so far and their promotions have been spot on as well. Got cash back on my nephews msi b550 carbon, far cry with my tomahawk and also £20 for each doing the shoutout which has paid for cyberpunk.

Soldato
Just mentioning this incase it helps anybody else out.

I recently installed the latest Realtek ethernet drivers from Realteks site as they are newer version than what is on MSI's site. Got the latest drivers because since building this system and using the drivers on MSI's site my ethernet connection has seemed a little flakey. Anyway installed latest drivers and it got worse. Connection started dropping frequently. Seemed completely random, sometimes would go a few hours without dropping, sometimes every few minutes. Didn't matter if I was playing games or just on internet, YouTube or whatever.

I solved the problem by switching off Energy Efficient Ethernet and Power Saving Mode through Device Manager, under the Realtek Ethernet Controller properties. Also unticked the Allow This Computer to Turn Off This Device option under the Power Management tab. Not sure which of the 3 options actually solved the problem or whether it was a combination of the 3 but my ethernet has been rock solid since :) There must be a bug in the drivers as even when the connection is being utilised it will drop the connection with those options enabled

Associate
I solved the problem by switching off Energy Efficient Ethernet and Power Saving Mode through Device Manager, under the Realtek Ethernet Controller properties. Also unticked the Allow This Computer to Turn Off This Device option under the Power Management tab. Not sure which of the 3 options actually solved the problem or whether it was a combination of the 3 but my ethernet has been rock solid since :) There must be a bug in the drivers as even when the connection is being utilised it will drop the connection with those options enabled

Thank you :)

Soldato
Anyone know of any word from MSI or partners regarding newer bios updates in the pipeline? I'm assuming Agesa Patch D is meant to be in the works, and a non beta version of this bios should only really temporary surely?

Caporegime
So I took the heat sink off and yes 100% fitted correctly and touching the CPU

I checked the CPU temp in the BIOS and its showing 29

IMG-6637.jpg

When using MSI Dragon Centre its showing 50 so must be wrong

IMG-6638.jpg
Are you running the Epic Games launcher by any chance? Apparently there are reports of CPU’s running anything from 10-15’C hotter with it running. Makes me wonder what it’s doing.

Last edited:
Soldato
I built mine today. Flashed the BIOS once, it seemed to have worked, solid light on the BIOS flash light after around 5 minutes. So thought all was good.

Proceeded to install all components only to not be able to POST. CPU light was lit solid.

I had a second 10+ year old USB stick which I had prepared, just in case. Left it alone for 10mins and came back to output on the monitor. Phew!

All good! 64GB 3600mhz across all 4 DIMMs @ CL16. Nice!

Back
Top Bottom