The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
Did a good 2 hours yesterday to get some volume back in. Really hadn't felt good enough to race (as was going to do some 40/60 mile races) so opted for some group rides:

https://www.strava.com/activities/4496739844
Jumped on to do a usual group ride of mine - 3R 100km but had joined the 3.0w/kg group rather than my usual 2.5! As I was running late (late join) I had no option to ride with them. It was ok, quite brutal at times as the group kept stretching out so instead of borderline tempo/threshold was more low threshold. I was finding myself fatiguing too much so knew I couldn't finish it. Once that doubt was in my mind that was it! Still a good 33km with the guys, not quite the social the 2.5 is, but I guess I'm not fighting as much to hang on then.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4497179337
Needing something else base wise I went for a ZHR Audax and chose the 50km option. Good ride, but not very 'social'. Quite a few split groups so just worked generally to stay in, also pulling so we picked up scattered riders from up front. Big group caught us from behind and they drove the pace on the last few laps. Still felt good and had found my legs towards the end. Felt better than the earlier.

Nope not that I can see. I'll check my privacy settings as I limit what everyone can see so this may be why.
Ahhh, yes, that'll could be it. Although are you appearing in results? Not getting filtered out?

I know some race organisers require Strava rides to be public (WTRL), but don't think ZP technically does. Good guide here and it does actually mention any issues to give them a shout: https://support.zwift.com/en_us/connecting-to-zwiftpower-SyldRc_4H

Caporegime
Why spend £200 on a wahoo turboing table when you can spend £20 on Wood and make one yourself?

yYVYLYd.jpg bipDUTd.jpg
32TTTFc.jpg

Custom jig for gluing up the mitre joins:
mkYhCPv.jpg

z933heT.jpg

You get the idea for the base - just takes time with the gluing up!
bAUsnXG.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Why spend £200 on a wahoo turboing table when you can spend £20 on Wood and make one yourself?
Good work so far, will be interesting to see your end product!

And what are you referring to as a 'turboing table'? Somewhere to put your tablet/TV/drink? Agree lots of cheaper/alternatives than buying a cycling 'turbo' one and even better if you can use some of your obvious skills to make something smarter/better/cheaper up! Lots making their own rocker plates at the moment too...

DCR did a good thing with Microphone stands I believe for holding stuff, looked smart and worked well for a tablet.

For me, I'm using an Ikea sideboard type thing for my TV and have continued to use a foldable 'Workmate' to plonk the laptop on. Not quite as budget as yours, but certainly less construction skill required!

Basically anything 'worktop' height rather than 'tabletop' height works well. I've then used a couple of blocks to holds a tray in the workmate for me to put the laptop on & rotate it around. The front wheel sits 'in' the sideboard. I could cut out some of the shelf to go further in if I wanted but find it close enough with my 36" TV. Have screwed a little shelf on the front of the unit that I put my small Honeywell on too, rather than it obstructing the TV.

My current shopping cart for the pain cave is a space heater, so I can actually heat the air I'm blowing at me. #garagewoes

Soldato
My current shopping cart for the pain cave is a space heater, so I can actually heat the air I'm blowing at me. #garagewoes

I like your thinking. My pre-breakfast turbo sessions start off with no fan / fleece (jumper) on, then fan on and fleece still on and eventually fan on and fleece off.

I think I've linked to it before, but I use a cheap projector tripod table for keyboard / mouse (my TV is wall mounted) - I expect it would be okay for a laptop as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D5CCMDN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Caporegime
Good work so far, will be interesting to see your end product!

And what are you referring to as a 'turboing table'? Somewhere to put your tablet/TV/drink? Agree lots of cheaper/alternatives than buying a cycling 'turbo' one and even better if you can use some of your obvious skills to make something smarter/better/cheaper up! Lots making their own rocker plates at the moment too...
Yeah exactly that, somewhere to put my snacks and tablet for the companion app thingummy. I'll route a slot into the top so that I can stand the table up. Hence the £200 reference, as thats what the Wahoo table costs!!

Plus... making one means I get to play at woodworking ;).

Caporegime
Converting my garage to an office worked really well, as the underfloor heating I installed has a wifi connected thermostat. So I wack on the heating when I wake up, then turn it off when I get in. Nice warm room to begin with and fan on for when I'm on the bike :).

Man of Honour
Converting my garage to an office worked really well, as the underfloor heating I installed has a wifi connected thermostat. So I wack on the heating when I wake up, then turn it off when I get in. Nice warm room to begin with and fan on for when I'm on the bike :).

Crikey... I have to have the door to the shed open to keep the temperature down!

I normally start off with a t-shirt and am very quickly down to bib shorts and three fans...

Soldato
This is issue I have, I sweat so much on the turbo but feel the cold so the fan I have I have to move down from my head to my body then back off again at various times and open the garage door and I still end up absolutely dripping as I've not had enough airflow over me for the course of the workout because I get too cold with the fan blowing directly.

Having a garage reshuffle in the new year so will try to work out a better way of having the fans.

Ticked over 50% of my way to the tron bike last night. Such slow progress. But last turbo now until festive 500 is done. Going to do that all outside unless the weather is biblical but I won't count virtual miles!

Caporegime
Crikey... I have to have the door to the shed open to keep the temperature down!

I normally start off with a t-shirt and am very quickly down to bib shorts and three fans...
Oh I open the window when turboing and have the fan on. Its just too cold for me starting at 4am otherwise :p.

You know, as old skool as it is, the tshirt would be a lot cheaper option for me, haha.

Soldato
Total crap Zwift crashed tonight after 30 mins.

Same error as I had start of October Nvidia graphics related. Then I updated the driver to 457.

Did the same again, this time I installed the newest driver which was 460.

Worked fine for the remaining 35 mins or so which was all I wanted to do. Totally random occurrence and no idea if this is “fixed” as it was fine on Tuesday for an hour. Just not good software from one of the developers... how do I know it’s not going to reoccur in a months time.

In other news, dropped my saddle about 4mm, didn’t feel that comfy Tuesday and again today, but I was fine when I originally set the bike up. Perhaps I was just riding a lot then and got used to the poor position.

Soldato
I've dropped mine about the same.

I definitely have a winter position and a race fit position :D

Annoying with zwift crashes, my call of duty randomly crashes and it takes some restraint fore not to break the TV. I'm certain the TV would be broken if my zwift crashed mid race.

Associate
As a bit of an update on my venture into indoor training, I'm really pleased with the SB20 and I have been getting properly hooked on Zwift. The bike isn't quite as quiet as I was expecting, but it's behaved without any problems like losing connections mid-ride. Time seems to fly by compared to listening to music or watching TV episodes. One problem I had was that being pretty short-sighted it was impossible to read details on-screen, so I've now got a touchscreen monitor just in front of the handlebars and can lean forwards to read the smaller text (to see who I'm catching, obviously).
I've only been doing free rides so far - the intention was to join a race this morning but something went wrong. The variability of effort seems to be having a positive effect on VO2max according to Garmin, and although the legs weren't feeling too fresh this morning I got a new FTP of 318W... probably not too shabby for my age.
If anyone has been in two minds about getting set up with a trainer and Zwift, so far I'd say 'go for it'!

Caporegime
Hm did a ride this morning that hasn't synced from zwift to strava; not that bothered about it but it means I'm 50km short on the festive 500. I know I can upload the fit file but then won't get the credit. Is it gone?

Associate
Hm did a ride this morning that hasn't synced from zwift to strava; not that bothered about it but it means I'm 50km short on the festive 500. I know I can upload the fit file but then won't get the credit. Is it gone?

I’ve had them sync across after a delay before. Worst case you can log in to the Zwift website, download the activity file (.fit??) and then manually upload to strava and it will bring with it all power/heart rate and distance same as when it syncs across.

This has only happened once to me and when I tried to upload to strava it flashed up saying duplicate because it had just migrated across anyway.

*edit - why would it not give credit for the .fit file? Isn’t it exactly the same output as zwift outputs when it syncs?

Soldato
*edit - why would it not give credit for the .fit file? Isn’t it exactly the same output as zwift outputs when it syncs?
Pretty much exactly what happens when Zwift auto-uploads it. It just uses a Strava API endpoint and gives it the fit file. It will be more or less the same result on Strava.

Back
Top Bottom