Watching TV after SKY Q?

Soldato
So our SKY Q multiroom contract ends at the end of March and then the rest of SKY contracts end in June. We are trying to cut back all bills so continuing with SKY will be a no no. We already subscribe to Prime, Netflix and Disney+ and barely watch any other SKY channels and we don't subscribe to SKY Sports/Movies so its not like we'll miss it. Last time I tried to negotiate contracts and reduce costs I got nowhere as I'm sure they've cracked down on offers. Plus I refuse to pay for HD channels which is just a pee take these days.

What we will miss though is recording the live TV that we want to record. What options are out there for Freeview/Freesat and recording TV? I've heard these boxes aren't as good/quick as the SKY devices.

Just after some advice and opinions.

Associate
Went through the same process in April, couldn't get a retentions deal from sky due to covid pretty much shutting down their contact centres so just canned it altogether.

Looked into Freesat but there weren't many options due to our hybrid LNB (I believe there is a Freesat box now though which would work).

To be honest we've got by fine with a firestick and don't miss being able to record, you can get any of the programs on BBC, itv and 4oD via catch-up and that's worked out better than I expected.

If your broadband is decent it may be better trying a streaming stick for a month or two instead of forking out on potentially clunky/buggy hardware?

Man of Honour
Firstly, LNBs aren't that difficult to change, or that expensive, so you're not stuck with the Q wideband LNB. A standard 4-output LNB can be had complete with the fitting attachment for under £15. A hybrid LNB (2 wideband + 4 legacy SkyHD/Freesat outputs) is around £40.

Second, the latest generation (gen-3) Freesat boxes work best with a wideband LNB. You get to record up to 4 channels at once. Going back to a regular LNB means that the same gen 3 box will just let you watch live plus record one ch or record two channels whilst watching a previous recording.

If the thought of changing the LNB is too much to get your head around, there is a device that can take the wideband signal and convert it to the legacy-style LNB signal. Be warned though, the thing isn't pretty - it's not designed to sit under a telly in the living room - and it's also far more expensive. This is the Triax TMDS42C switch at around £90. What you will get though is four outputs: two for a legacy/gen-2 Freesat boxes and two for a gen-3 box.

Currently you have TV in other rooms of the house using the Sky Q mini boxes. As you know, this is a wireless solution for most people. There's no equivalent to this in the Freesat/Freeview recorder world. This means a return to cabling for either Freeview or Freesat.

Whilst running sat cable all over the house is an option it's generally not pretty, not that practical, and it's expensive relative to Freeview. It's not just the cabling, but if you want more than one recorder plus a couple of TVs just with Freesat reception then you're looking at an LNB with 8 outputs or going for a thing called a multiswitch. The signal and distribution gear will cost the equivalent of roughly a year's worth of Sky Q subscription. You'll then have the additional cost of any Freesat receivers/recorders on top. (Obviously this will be lower where some/all of your TVs are dual tuner models with Freesat built in.)

The least intrusive and potentially lowest cost solution for live TV is a return to Freeview. All flatscreen tellies have a minimum of a Freeview tuner built in. Newer sets have Freeview HD. It's there, so why not make use of it.

Unlike Freesat/satellite which is either difficult or expensive to distribute, Freeview is very simple. One cable can loop through a twin- or 3-channel recorder and then go on to the TV and feed all with signal. You can't do that with satellite signals. The aerial distribution gear is relatively cheap and requires very little technical expertise to do a DIY fit. A lot of houses already have aerial cabling installed; why not use it?

Even if you need to replace an old or broken aerial, the cost of that is typically less than £150 - and sometimes far less where the bracket and downlead are still in good order.

Humax is still the Freeview recorder of choice, but it's not the only game in town.

I like the Humax HDR1800 and HDR2000 Freeview recorders. They're out of production now, but can be picked up as used or refurbished for sensible money. Personally I would absolutely avoid the Humax FVP-4000T. The software/firmware was a disaster and it was never fully sorted. The FVP-5000t was its replacement. It's actually the same box but with better software. IMO it's still not 100% though.

There are digital TV recorders such as the Teknikal for £20 or less. These connect either via SCART or HDMI. They receive HD as well as SD, and they use the Freeview TV guide. Add some USB memory and you'll have a Freeview recorder for not much money.

Soldato
OP
Moved in to this house 3 months ago and to be honest had no idea about all these LNQs. We just plugged the Q boxes in and it all worked as it dis before in the old place.

There is a single antenna and, I'd say, freesat socket in the lounge. Another freesat socket in the extension but haven't seen one upstairs in bedroom that I recall.

Man of Honour
Moved in to this house 3 months ago and to be honest had no idea about all these LNQs. We just plugged the Q boxes in and it all worked as it dis before in the old place.

This is an advice forum, and you've come here asking questions, so here's your chance to learn.

I think its important to remember that we don't know anything about you or your skill level or your history or your requirements unless you write it in this thread. The ball for all that is in your court. Help us to help you.

Also, even if your are non-techie in this area, it doesn't mean that you can't at least gain a good grounding in knowledge. With that, you will be better prepared to have conversations with aerial/sat system installers and know if they're being honest and have your interests at heart rather than simply the fatness of their own wallet. Doesn't that sound like a decent idea?

There is a single antenna and, I'd say, freesat socket in the lounge. Another freesat socket in the extension but haven't seen one upstairs in bedroom that I recall.

Would that be an antenna on the roof or in the loft? Or do you mean there's and aerial socket and that's on the same plate or near by what you think might be a satellite signal socket?

Associate
I've just gone back to them. BT land-line, Internet and Netflix cost a couple of quid more than sky q black Friday contract for 18 months. Got everything apart from kids/sports including multi room. Well chuffed.

Soldato
OP
So last week my SKY Q box decided to stop working. Ordered a new box but was going to take 2 days to arrive. It only took 1 day which was pretty good given it was the week between Xmas and New year. Anyway whilst it was down I tried the cable in my TV in the Freesat connection and it worked fine. So that's very useful to know when I cancel Sky that I can continue on Freesat on main TV with no further costs.

I'll grab a fire stick or Google TV for the bedroom. There are no aerial or satellite sockets anywhere else in the house other than in lounge and extension/kitchen.

Soldato
I ****** Sky Q off and Sky in general after 19 years 1st December and never looked back. I'm running netflix, already had prime and Freesat. I got a £9.99 LNB off eBay, got up the ladders, changed the crtappy one Sky had and hey presto Satelite Freesat and works lovely. My TV records to USB anyway so I can record and I have MOREEEE than enough and I'll never go back to Sky now, they're living in the dark ages expecting people to pay what they charge. Also, IMHO, their internet is appalling, I dumped that at same time and now, with BT again after years of crap and BS... running like an absolute dream and no contension on a fruiday or a saturday night now so couldn't be happier. Saving a pretty penny, not missing out on anything, job done.

Soldato
Second hand BT Youview box is the best I've seen for freeview. Some tvs have dual tuners now for recording but the youview system is a very good epg and a nice switch from sky.

Can't say I miss sky q at all

Soldato
Second hand BT Youview box is the best I've seen for freeview.

Yep, I haven't had BT TV for a few years now but I keep using the box for recording Freeview, works well and you can use the BT TV app to schedule and manage recordings remotely.

If you can get hold of the UHD one even better, as it feels noticeably quicker to navigate the menus etc. My parents have the standard one and it's a bit sluggish in comparison.

Soldato
OP
Will a talk talk freeview you view box work the same?

There's not much available 2nd hand in my area.

Edit: I've seen this model is best reviewed DTR-T4000 but does this do Freesat? I don't have normal aerial sockets just Satellite.

Last edited:
Soldato
A simple solution would be a Shield TV with a USB Freeview and either USB or network storage.

Run Plex server on the Shield TV to manage and share the recordings. If the Plex app isn't available on your smart TVs, plugin a Roku or Firestick etc. Watch on a smartphone or tablet or use the device to cast to a TV.

You'll need a premium sub for Plex which was £4/month, or get a lifetime sub when on sale for around £70.

I've been a Plex and Emby user for years, before that we used Windows Media Centre for Live TV since Windows XP days. As the kids have grown older and now they have their own smartphones with all the streaming apps, Live TV rarely gets watched. I used to have 6 tuners on the go in a HTPC and now we don't have a single recording scheduled.

Soldato
No they are freeview so need an aerial im afraid. Avoid the talktalk ones as they aren't as good.

I also use a plex server for some recordings but I wouldn't recommend it as your main way of viewing as they changed the epg provider a while ago and it is awful. Frequently has the wrong listings and tbh its just annoying to use.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Freeview and Freesat are different separate things.

BT Freeview boxes use a TV aerial. A TV aerial is not a satellite dish. You cannot get Freeview via a satellite dish. Therefore a BT Freeview box is no use if you only have a satellite dish. Do not byuy a BT Freeview box (or any Freeview receiver) if you onlyu have a satellite dish.

Freesat comes from a satellite dish. The clue is in the name. FreeSAT

SAT tells you that it involves a satellite dish

Soldato
OP
Yeah I know the diff between freeview and freesat just didn't know if those new boxes did both.

I've seen freesat boxes on ebay. 500gb one, seen one hovering around £72. Brand new is £199.

Ive still got a few months left so will keep looking for the best bargain price.

Thanks all for advice.

Associate
I have the Humax fvp-5000t 1tb box for freeview running on the aerials that were on the house when we moved in (32 years). Works fine for freeview but I've placed a nvme 500gb drive in an enclosure and plugged it in to the usb on the tv to record live tv when watching through the tv and not the Humax box.

Soldato
Yep looks like I’ll be going down the free sat route when I move next month .

Current bill is £130 a month for 2x Sky Q boxes and Fibre , 20 minutes in the phone best sky could offer was £112.50 for 18 months .

Only decent thing on Sky has been F1 -and I will miss this loads , has anyone gone from Sky F1 to Channel 4 and is happy ?

Back
Top Bottom