Changing from a Focus

Associate
I work in the City and my car stays sat on my driveway all week. It only gets used when I take a trip to the supermarket or when I jump on the motorway to see family in Southend.

I drive a 2007 2L Focus and I absolutely love it. The 2L helps it accelerate rapidly to 70mph and the car flies on the motorway. Now, road tax is over £300 and the 'combined' mpg is 35.
I am thinking of getting a newer car and have eyes on a 2010 Audi A3 hatchback ( £165 + 43mpg )and a 2010 BMW 318i business edition ( £205 + 43mpg ). Both are around the £5k mark.

Now, there are some things you should know about me. I have an automatic only license and I cannot do parallel parking. I learnt it with great effort before I passed but I prefer not to do in a residential street as a car comes up behind me and I take too long.

Should I get the Audi or the BMW? And, is either the same size as my Focus?

Soldato
Internally they feel much the same sort of size but externally a bit longer - if you're genuinely nervous about parking etc then you might also find a saloon body style quite a change as you need to allow for the boot that you can't actually see.

Having said that almost all newer cars have at the very least rear parking sensors. I wouldn't personally buy either of your listed cars (your money could about get you into a 2014ish on Leon for example which is vastly a more modern design than either) as both are based on cars released a number of years before (the A3 in particular feels utterly ancient inside now), don't have a particularly good reliability record and tend to be pretty poorly specced due to being lower rung engined models. Ultimately you like what you like but go into it eyes open.

Last edited:
Associate
Is it worth spending £5k on something that barely does any journeys? Especially as the cost of running them seems quite important to you, you'd just be swapping a bit of tax and fuel savings for depreciation. If it's about money then stick with what you have.

Associate
Is it worth spending £5k on something that barely does any journeys? Especially as the cost of running them seems quite important to you, you'd just be swapping a bit of tax and fuel savings for depreciation. If it's about money then stick with what you have.

I'd agree with this if as above it's only a money saving exercise, the absolute cost of the newer car will drain more of your money vs the amount you pay more in tax and fuel cost.

But if you want something newer and shinier and savings are not the absolute aim then go for it - it's great treating yourself every once in a while.

Soldato
I don’t see what you’re gaining by upgrading a car that you absolutely love for another completely unknown 10 year old car that hardly gets used.

If it’s money saving that you’re after (VED features prominently in the original post), then the £135 saving between the A3 and your current focus will take 37 years to be realised if you’re spending £5,000 on a new car.

I agree with previous posts that if you love your focus and want a new car, I’d buy a newer focus. The latest model really is excellent to drive. I would buy neither BMW, nor Audi at this budget.

Associate
OP
Internally they feel much the same sort of size but externally a bit longer - if you're genuinely nervous about parking etc then you might also find a saloon body style quite a change as you need to allow for the boot that you can't actually see.

Having said that almost all newer cars have at the very least rear parking sensors. I wouldn't personally buy either of your listed cars (your money could about get you into a 2014ish on Leon for example which is vastly a more modern design than either) as both are based on cars released a number of years before (the A3 in particular feels utterly ancient inside now), don't have a particularly good reliability record and tend to be pretty poorly specced due to being lower rung engined models. Ultimately you like what you like but go into it eyes open.

My Focus has parking sesnsors and I will install sensors on the new car as well if it doesn't have them.

If you absolutely love the focus so much why not just buy a newer model of the focus ?

My budget is 5k. Ford stopped doing 2L models after 2009 from what I can see. Only C-Max, Convertibles and Mondeos beyond 2009 have 2L engines.

I don’t see what you’re gaining by upgrading a car that you absolutely love for another completely unknown 10 year old car that hardly gets used.

If it’s money saving that you’re after (VED features prominently in the original post), then the £135 saving between the A3 and your current focus will take 37 years to be realised if you’re spending £5,000 on a new car.

I agree with previous posts that if you love your focus and want a new car, I’d buy a newer focus. The latest model really is excellent to drive. I would buy neither BMW, nor Audi at this budget.

I guess I am looking for a small upgrade, one that will not burn my wallet in this COVID and unemployment era. 2009 2L Focuses are selling for 4k. So, I thought why not a 2010 Audi or a BMW instead for 5k.

Soldato
Don't get a MK3 Focus, they leak water in the back that collects in the spare wheel well and eventually leaks into the rear passenger foot wells and turns your whole car damp and mouldy.

But the Auto Park feature really does work, here's the first time I used it and I would have never been able to park in that space by myself.

1609142953.jpg

Soldato
The leak mentioned above is about a 30 minute fix, bumper off and clear out some vents - most owners have probably already done it!

Also the 2 litre issue is a non issue, you just buy a 1
5/1.6 turbo petrol instead which will be significantly more swift feeling than the existing na 2 litre petrol. However, I wouldn't buy a pre sync 2 focus now (2014ish) and I'm not sure £5k actually buys a decent 1.6 turbo. Same problem as a lot of the newer alternativd models really, just a little bit out of the price range (grand or so probably).

Soldato
The leak mentioned above is about a 30 minute fix, bumper off and clear out some vents - most owners have probably already done it!

It's a bit more than that! Behind the vents are insulation material which will be sodden wet and will need pulling out and either dried off or discarded. Then the vents need putting back on and sealed around the edges with silicone but even then this will eventually fail and you'll be flooded again.

Back
Top Bottom