Where to put/install Steam? (Preferences)

Associate
Put in a new boot drive yesterday, everything is good, except Steam. Steam puts anything anywhere it feels like. Combined with mods it's a bit of a pita. This is in regards to save files and config files, they are in multiple directories depending on games. With cloud sync being a great idea, not all games utilise this.

I have a boot drive and other drives, with a dedicated games drive like most.

So what's your preference to this install? Do you do anything different, or have 3rd party software to backup saves?

PCgamingwiki has a decent list of games with Steam information for settings and directories as mentioned above.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure of your question.

You install steam to whatever drive you wish upon initial install.

By default, all games install to this drive, you can however choose to install to another drive on a per game basis.

Associate
I always install steam on my games drive, then the default install is there, also add a second drive installation folder is needed

Associate
By default, all games install to this drive, you can however choose to install to another drive on a per game basis.

Me too. I have a massive HDD (E: drive) that some games go on. VR games go on the C:drive (fastest), whilst games I'll be playing a lot go on my other SSD (D: drive) (like Cyberpunk etc)

Associate
OP
Not sure of your question.

Yeah badly worded, i'll update.

No it doesn't. Steam installs games to where you tell it to put them

I have my steam games installed on three different drives (NVMe, SSD & HHD)

Unfortunately my saved games and maybe some game settings it appears, are scattered around. I have cloud sync enabled but when i checked previous to new boot drive install very few games utilised this.

For me configuration files are more valuable than game's executable files.

Soldato
Yeah badly worded, i'll update.

Unfortunately my saved games and maybe some game settings it appears, are scattered around. I have cloud sync enabled but when i checked previous to new boot drive install very few games utilised this.

For me configuration files are more valuable than game's executable files.
Yes i agree the save game & settings files are scattered in different places.
But this is not steam fault if you bought the same games from somewhere else there save game files would still be scattered around in the same places

Last edited:
Soldato
steam and games that need the speed go on the C drive ssd

games that dont benefit from the extra speed go on the hdd

saves go wherever the hell steam wants to put them, if i care about a particular save i'll back it up manually.

Back
Top Bottom