• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RESOLVED - 3090 FE PC Reboots as soon as a game is launched

Associate
I just installed my new 3090FE, as soon as I launch any game the PC reboots - screen goes black then I get post codes and the login screen.

No changes other than updating from a 1080Ti.

PC Specs

Asus Crosshair Hero VIII Wi-Fi
3900X
32Gb T-Force 8 pack 3600Mhz Ram
Corsair HX1000i PSU
Custom water - GPU currently on air
Samsun G9 - tried 120Hz and 240Hz both with the same effect

GPU is connected via the 12pin to 2 x 8 pin PCI power cables, each runs directly to the PSU
PSU motherboard connectors in place for 24pin, 8 pin and 4 pin.
PSU is connected with cablemod custom cables.

CODMW was able to load in safe mode, but as soon as I se the graphics settings to 5120x1440 the PC rebooted.

Everything I'm reading suggests the spiking power is driving the PSU to an over current situation, however this PSU should (to my knowledge) be easily capable of supporting this load. PSU is around 12 months old.

I've run DDU (twice)followed by a reinstall of the NVIDA driver - 460.89
Removed all RGB software

I'll try reseating the GPU tomorrow and switching back to the standard GPU cables, other than that I'm a bit stumped as to what to try next...

RESOLVED - Cablemod cables were the culprit!

Last edited:
Soldato
Sure sounds like your PSU is going to heaven. 1000w should be enough even with a transient spike but if your PSU is a few years old it may no longer be performing like it once did - since it's new I'm not sure, it still sounds like the psu though.

Anyway, run msi afterburner and drop the GPU power limit slider in 10% increments until such time the crashing stops

Associate
Could you try a different pci e slot?

also try taking out 2 memory sticks if you have all 4 populated. It should look like (from cpu) empty slot, populated, empty, populated.

the only reason I suggest this is that my nephew has just got a 5600x and his monitor wouldn’t show an image with all 4 slots populated. As soon as he removed 2 everything 9s working perfectly. Worth a try.

maybe reinstall the latest amd motherboard drivers?

Soldato
Just been reading over at Corsair forum and someone has had the same problem, in the end he used the Corsair supplied cables instead of the cablemods cables and no more reboots.

So as people have already said try the Corsair supplied cables.

Associate
I had similar issues with my 3090FE, my PC would reboot (or I’d have to hard reboot it) when I loaded any game or benchmarking tool. I ended up returning it (to a competitor) and they confirmed it was faulty when they tested it. It was mostly ok running Windows but any load crashed it.

Associate
OP
Thanks all, I replaced cablemods cables with the corsair supplied (ugly) ones and managed to get a game running. Will test more later but so far it looks to be working. Now to get 240hz tested as I've not been able to use that on my previous 1080Ti :)

Who would have thought the cablemods cables which are supposed to be good quality cables would cause such an issue???

Permabanned
Thanks all, I replaced cablemods cables with the corsair supplied (ugly) ones and managed to get a game running. Will test more later but so far it looks to be working. Now to get 240hz tested as I've not been able to use that on my previous 1080Ti :)

Who would have thought the cablemods cables which are supposed to be good quality cables would cause such an issue???

I have also heard about nightmares with them, like blown up cards. I guess they are prone to faults as much as any other components.

Soldato

Had no end of issues caused by after market pretty cables, replaced faulty mobo's, PSU's GPU's due to them, I will now never use after market cables on my PC or any I build.

Man of Honour

Corsair do plenty of custom cables themselves for their PSUs and they work fine for me.

Associate
OP
I plan to do a full rebuild of my PC once the 3090 EK water block lands, I'll be changing fans as well at that point. Then I'm going to strip all the cablemods cables out and revert back to the corsair ones. I'll grab one of the 12pin PCI-E cables too.

Frustrating as the cablemods kits aren't cheap!

Associate
I plan to do a full rebuild of my PC once the 3090 EK water block lands, I'll be changing fans as well at that point. Then I'm going to strip all the cablemods cables out and revert back to the corsair ones. I'll grab one of the 12pin PCI-E cables too.

Frustrating as the cablemods kits aren't cheap!

Not cheap? They're a fortune for some cables. Which you are lead to believe is because they are top quality... Haha. Using them in my PC at the moment but when the 3080 arrives I think I'll just use my EVGA standard ones:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom