Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Soldato
I'm looking to upgrade my router for one that will work with a table. I've got a table that I plan to convert into the router table, made a fence already and plan to buy a mitre track to embed in it shortly for ~£10, and I have a router plate in mind (kreg). However... I don't think I can fit the router I have to the table because of the switch (it doesn't have an off/on but is a plunge switch), and whilst it might be possible to rewire it I'd rather not. It's a no-name brand that isn't very powerful - it was given to me from a garage clear out - and I have been practising a fair bit with it and plus I'd quite like the opportunity to upgrade a little.

I don't really have many requirements in mind, but I'd like one powerful enough to deal with hardwood as I use that regularly, and I want one that is easy to change bits/adjust the bit height without having to go under the table, if that is at all possible (I realise I might need to drill extra holes in the router plate for that, this is not a problem).

Any suggestions?

I bought a Triton TRA01 https://www.screwfix.com/p/triton-tra001-2400w-electric-dual-mode-precision-plunge-router-240v/2491k great for a build your own router table. You can remove the spring, it has fast adjustment and microadjustment and can be micro adjusted through the table top. The bit change is a doddle as it has a locking mechanicsm that self locks when you descend to bottom of travel then just use the spanner provided, also the descend will takethe collet above the table top so bit change is really accessible. Comes with standard 1/2" and mwtric equivalent collet 1/4" collet is available. Loads of power, solid features a good build your own option. You want a decent insert though it's a heavy beast.

Caporegime
Looks interesting. Does it have a remote switch? Or do you have to just reach under the table plate to turn it on? I've got a kreg plate on order which is pretty heavy duty... and I've just checked - as it happens pre drilled for the router you linked!

Soldato
Switch is on the handle, so under the table. Not sure if you couldn't put an NVR switch on table that the flex and plug plug into. I know the description of the router says NVR but I can't remember if this is actually the case.

Soldato
I got me one of those earlier in the year too. Great piece of kit. Just did some wall chasing with it (and a chasing machine). I was less thrilled with the chaser - I'd not buy the basic titan and go for something with more power/easier controls for the chaser, but I can't fault this drill. Couldn't figure out how to properly use the dust cap disc though. Not sure it fits on the bigger bits.

Edit also is yours missing the chuck key? or is it hiding somewhere?

Last edited:
Soldato
SDS is great, we have high density concrete walls at work and normal drills don't touch them. SDS eats them for breakfast.

Bought a twin DeWalt impact and combi drill, been looking for a while. Was between that and Milwaukee, but the DeWalt impact has more power, so went for that.
Will probably get a multi tool and cordless grinder at some point.

Soldato
We used to have Bosch SDS 24v GBH at work - Those are tools you can't do without. - It was heavy though.
I did get the chance to use a 36v 2.9kg one with anti vibration - it was half the weight and as smooth as silk.
Just use a Lidl 240v one now - good buy for 25 quid -it was a while ago .

Associate
I got me one of those earlier in the year too. Great piece of kit. Just did some wall chasing with it (and a chasing machine). I was less thrilled with the chaser - I'd not buy the basic titan and go for something with more power/easier controls for the chaser, but I can't fault this drill. Couldn't figure out how to properly use the dust cap disc though. Not sure it fits on the bigger bits.

Edit also is yours missing the chuck key? or is it hiding somewhere?

It’s there somewhere, it’s supposed to live in the bottom left of the top lid but keeps failing out.

Soldato
It’s there somewhere, it’s supposed to live in the bottom left of the top lid but keeps failing out.
mine does as well. try sticking some insulating tape on the bar and the case should grip it better. I've only used the chuck once as I mainly run it as an SDS drill and use my other drill for smaller stuff, hence I don't want the chuck key going awol.

Caporegime
Switch is on the handle, so under the table. Not sure if you couldn't put an NVR switch on table that the flex and plug plug into. I know the description of the router says NVR but I can't remember if this is actually the case.
I went with the Triton, should arrive in a few days. Fingers crossed its everything I want :).

Soldato
Need something to get through 15cm of concrete slab.. 780W Bosch 3.2J 2kg class can drill it but even trying to chisel or core it, it’s proving hard work. Tried 4lb hammer and nothing.. also have a concrete pier base that needs breaking too - thinking of a 25J or 50J breaker. Any recommendations?

Soldato
Need something to get through 15cm of concrete slab.. 780W Bosch 3.2J 2kg class can drill it but even trying to chisel or core it, it’s proving hard work. Tried 4lb hammer and nothing.. also have a concrete pier base that needs breaking too - thinking of a 25J or 50J breaker. Any recommendations?

Titan SDS drill in hammer mode with chisel bit as mentioned just above.

Edit do you just want to form a hole or break the whole thing out?

Associate

I bought a Titan breaker from Screwfix a few years back, wasn't hugely expensive and it doesn't get used much but it was well worth the money.

They don't sell Titan branded ones now but they still sell cheap ones.

Soldato
the erbauer one gets good reviews. For occasional use it will probably be fine. For regular use you might want to look at the more expensive models with enhanced damping and anti-vibration mitigation measures etc to help prevent WFV damage etc

Soldato
the erbauer one gets good reviews. For occasional use it will probably be fine. For regular use you might want to look at the more expensive models with enhanced damping and anti-vibration mitigation measures etc to help prevent WFV damage etc

Yup this will be used for a couple of jobs and then sell it on. I found an einhell for £120, £50 off. 49J will do the job I suspect. I'll put some padding on and gauntlets to help reduce the vibration but at the end of the day it's either long duration low/med level or fast heavier.

Back
Top Bottom