RC cars

Associate
I’ve had a few recently, but just have a Tekno ET48 now; although it’s been ages since I’ve taken it out. I only really bash about the place, there’s a good set of bike jumps near me where I go and jump till it breaks!

fIVT0pB.jpg

This is what I managed to do to the motor last time out :D

2a6bn5P.jpg

Associate
Yeah they’re solid trucks. Expensive but worth it IMO. I’ve added some extra braces from a guy I found on Facebook, M3 I think it’s called. Anyway, it’s even tougher now!

I fixed the motor with some extra strong adhesive, but I think it’ll break for sure next time I jump it hard. This happened at a skate park, so was big jumps onto concrete :D

Associate
I’ve only had the Tekno on 4s, so no standing backflips, but plenty enough oomph for me. I’ve thought about getting something smaller too, but not really found anything that suits.

Had a couple crawlers too, but although I enjoyed building them, I never found driving them to be that interesting.

Associate
Yeah, they are great fun to build and you can do loss of customisation. But the cost can really pile up and once built, I couldn’t really work out what to do with it. I’m definitely more of a bash and smash kind of rc driver!

Soldato
Nothing touches actual club racing if you like your RC IMO - hopefully there will be more clubs back up and running in the new year.

Have just taken delivery of the new Schumacher Mission FT (1/10th on-road FWD touring car) as the racing for these looks like great fun - and the kits pretty cheap, should be fairly competitive out of the box....

https://www.racing-cars.com/new-products/october-2020/mission-ft-s2-kit-k187

Hopefully will get a chance to build before the new year

Caporegime
Nothing touches actual club racing if you like your RC IMO - hopefully there will be more clubs back up and running in the new year.
clubs seem so few and far between though, literally only could find dead clubs in my area when I was in to rc.

RC plane club on the moor that had it's own runway = gone.
RC forum group meetups = gone
Actual RC clubs = gone.

only one I could find still going seemed to be boats.

probably different down south though

Associate
clubs seem so few and far between though, literally only could find dead clubs in my area when I was in to rc.

RC plane club on the moor that had it's own runway = gone.
RC forum group meetups = gone
Actual RC clubs = gone.

only one I could find still going seemed to be boats.

probably different down south though

Ha, I always thought there were more up north! Probably just not many anywhere.

I do have Slough RC nearish to me and I think there was an indoor club that raced small scale, but that didn’t really appeal. It would be cool to try large scale on road one day.

Soldato
I think you could be surprised how many clubs are around, issue is they're not always easy to find. When I got in RC racing a few years ago, I could literally find one through Google searches but when I asked at the club, they told me about loads of others. I could literally race every day of the week.

Good place to start is https://www.brca.org/clubs and BongoHunter is right, if you like RC then nothing beats racing, well doesn't have to be racing but RC with a purpose, whether its racing or some other form like Rock Crawling etc.

Soldato
Ha, I always thought there were more up north! Probably just not many anywhere.

I do have Slough RC nearish to me and I think there was an indoor club that raced small scale, but that didn’t really appeal. It would be cool to try large scale on road one day.

If you like 1/10th off road racing these guys have an astro track nearish you:

https://www.shrccc.co.uk/location/

Probably need to wait till after covid for normal racing to resume - but they meet a lot and have a good turn out in normal times

Associate
I think you could be surprised how many clubs are around, issue is they're not always easy to find. When I got in RC racing a few years ago, I could literally find one through Google searches but when I asked at the club, they told me about loads of others. I could literally race every day of the week.

Good place to start is https://www.brca.org/clubs and BongoHunter is right, if you like RC then nothing beats racing, well doesn't have to be racing but RC with a purpose, whether its racing or some other form like Rock Crawling etc.

Thanks for the link; I remember looking at that before and forgot that I also have the West London Racing Club near me too. May take my oldest son there on a race day next year to have a look around.

Soldato
I’ve had a few recently, but just have a Tekno ET48 now; although it’s been ages since I’ve taken it out. I only really bash about the place, there’s a good set of bike jumps near me where I go and jump till it breaks!

fIVT0pB.jpg

This is what I managed to do to the motor last time out :D

2a6bn5P.jpg
Can you mount the motor higher? In the eb48 you can and so chassis flex is less likely to hit the can and bend it off the mount.

Soldato
Thanks for the link; I remember looking at that before and forgot that I also have the West London Racing Club near me too. May take my oldest son there on a race day next year to have a look around.
WLRC is an awesome track - well worth a visit.

Your probably not to far from Dms Racing either - they help run a club that normally race buggies indoors in Aldenham School Sports Centre (Elstree).

https://www.dms-racing.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=84&Itemid=503

Associate
Can you mount the motor higher? In the eb48 you can and so chassis flex is less likely to hit the can and bend it off the mount.

not sure tbh. The motor is only attached to the motor mount so I think it was just the impact shock that sheared the motor. I did think about getting some more support for it but not sure how that would work.

Soldato
found out why my lunch box was making wierd noises, the stock silver can itself was broken heavy use in the wet i reckon, i thought yay that is a relief to see it is just a stock 27 turn motor, went and soldered the wires onto a fresh one and done some other tweaks etc

went to put the pinion on to the new motor and oh problem, the grub screw wont go tight against the motor shaft..... the threading the grub screw goes into was half knackered.

new pinion gear ordered :)

so figured i would take out the sand viper for my exercise (gotta walk a wee bit now) then i had a wire come loose from the motor, good thing i had the solder iron still out :)

oh well got plenty models to go walkies with for minor exercise while i wait on lunchies pinion :)

Soldato
It’s been a few years since I’ve owned anything RC but have had a bit of an itch for a few months. Initially this manifested itself in me buying some smaller rc cars for my 7 year old, but that didn’t help.

After having a bit of a read around what I had budget for, I settled on ordering an Arrma Big Rock V3 with some 3S batteries, charger etc.

So while I’m waiting for the order to be sent, which is likely going to test my patience, what array of tools/bits should I keep an eye out for? I’m already planning to line the shell with scrim tape and glue, any other initial mods I should think about?

Back
Top Bottom