Rig in china PSU blew up taking out his /PC/PS5/MONITOR

Soldato
just thought it was freak accident that the guy from china came back to his house almost in flames...

https://www.facebook.com/IMIKAipoh/posts/1896165023865605

-------------------

BE CAREFUL CUSTOM PC After changing graphic card, to STRIX RTX 3090, the Power supply exploded.
and took out my PS5 / monitor / Strix 3090 / complete system

Be careful not to use a low powered PSU.

----------------------------

I get the funny feeling though that he flashed his 3090 with the kingpin 1000w bios.
and was running a stress test and stepped away for a moment and this is the result.

He was using a 1000w Seasonic PSU.

-----------------------------

click the link above to view more images.
here is a few :

133041042_1896163277199113_8369954540842640809_n.jpg

133037883_1896162860532488_5088210103068648862_n.jpg

Soldato
OP
Ok something not quite right here.......
or are these 2 completely different pc`s that where destroyed...

managed to find some video footage , of the pc above though its like someone just started recording the pc and not doing a dam thing to prevent more devistation cause in the video there is no where near as much damage compaired to the images above so no idea if this is fake or real i think its real though but why record with your phone just watching it catch fire lol

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1p..._tag=s_i&timestamp=1608917165&unique_k=BK611G

--EDIT:

after looking at the video it is defiantly the same computer system as i see the PS5 beside the monitor, no idea how that much damage was done when clearly the ps5 could have been saved even the monitor WTF happened lol

EDIT2---

Original translation to english ---

English Version:
He went out have lunch and he found out the PC have smoke coming out from the PC when he returned. After cut off the power the smoke still getting bigger and bigger. And it caught fire directly. He notified the property and the fire was put out by firefighters. It didn't affect the neighbors. He was still afraid after thinking of it. Luckily he using flame retardant curtain. Unfortunately the whole PC burned down badly so he can't determine the component cause it.
Suspect the PSU as the power cord at the bottom area of casing burn until left cooper only

damn lmfao.

Last edited:
Associate
To be honest, the moment you wrote China as the location of where this happened, I automatically discount anything that's been said to have been done by the user.

1. PSU fault. Could be. I'm not going to say Seasonic can't have built a dud. It happens. Although not seen one continue to burn and not short and pop and that's just that yet. But have been reading here and there that some Seasonic units had trouble with high transients that may cause issues from before the last two years, but normally those just shut down.
2. Observation. But I also know eletricals in China are terrible regarding safety, could have been any item that got overloaded, not necessarily the PSU. But if the PSU was the one catching fire, the power outlet may not have been protected properly and just gave what the PSU was pulling with everything else on. Was not clear on the translation; "it" could be PC or PSU from sentence construction.
3. Origin of the GPU. Scalpers aren't just here in the West. Could have been a dud, fake or modified (by themselves possibly given what @ViRuS2k posted), resulting in the fire.
4. User fault. Besides leaving a new device plugged in that draws X amount more watts than normal without keeping an eye on it (who does that? And likely turned off the AC as well when they left, resulting in higher temps), I also noticed that that power outlet was overloaded. Safety concern regarding point 2.
5. Build fault. So many cables seen inside and out, who's to say the user didn't only half plug in a PCIe GPU cable which resulted in this? A shorted and burning PCIe GPU cable that falls off and ignites and burns something else seems more likely (personal opinion).
6. Observation. The smoke seen in the short clip was rising slowly, didn't seem like it was being extracted by any fans or anything. So the power appears off (PSU dead?). Confirmed by @ViRuS2k that the power should have been turned off at that point.
7. Origin of cables used. Again, if forum goers here don't know, China is the land of knock-offs. We don't know where they sourced the extra PCIe GPU cables from, and as point 5 listed above, we don't know if they properly secured the cables in either side (PSU and GPU) for a point 5, build issue. Besides the fact if they used/obtained fabric enclosure based cables, that will make it more likely to burn after something ignites. No info on this point.

Never leave high power electrical devices unattended for long periods of time, especially new ones (new GPU in this case).

Although, the RBG (especially R) should have been spectacular on that system. :p

Soldato
I think safety regulations mandate that cabling insulation materials are self extinguishing.
Meaning that without external heat source they don't continue to burn.

But as it's from China who knows what was stuffed inside that PC.

Soldato
Why does he keeps his PS5 next to the computer for.

also why didn’t he move the PS5 away from the computer when all that smoke was coming out.

tbh I wouldn’t be surprised if all of this is some kind of stunt to grab viewings or donation in China.

Soldato
In one of the photos, the PSU is sitting at an angle (as in it's not screwed to case).

Also in same photo, the cables next to PSU look clean cut, with clean edges. Not saying this happened but looks like someone snipped those cables.

Also as someone else pointed out, there is a lot of cables in that case. You would expect them to be in neat bungles (cable looms), but it's like vintage telephone copper wires in many places. How did all those cable looms separate themselves?

Associate
In one of the photos, the PSU is sitting at an angle (as in it's not screwed to case).

Also in same photo, the cables next to PSU look clean cut, with clean edges. Not saying this happened but looks like someone snipped those cables.
Also as someone else pointed out, there is a lot of cables in that case. You would expect them to be in neat bungles (cable looms), but it's like vintage telephone copper wires in many places. How did all those cable looms separate themselves?

You've never seen the aftermath of a house fire I take it ? He's cut plugs off cables as the plugs were melted into whatever they were attached to.

And that's what happens to cables in a fire, the insulation melts and leaves a twisted mess of copper and plastic , it doesn't stay neat and tidy.

Associate
That cable management is causing my OCD to kick right in here!

Amazes me that someone can stand there filming it and not yoink the desk out with everything else on it. If I had something potentially combusting in front of my eyes in my gaff it would be getting yeeted out of the nearest window, as for the people on the street below its every man for himself sorry :D

On the other hand, and call me cynical here I am calling insurance job, bought a scalped faulty PS5, wanted a new monitor and decided to claim on home insurance...

Associate
Ok something not quite right here.......
or are these 2 completely different pc`s that where destroyed...

managed to find some video footage , of the pc above though its like someone just started recording the pc and not doing a dam thing to prevent more devistation cause in the video there is no where near as much damage compaired to the images above so no idea if this is fake or real i think its real though but why record with your phone just watching it catch fire lol

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1p..._tag=s_i&timestamp=1608917165&unique_k=BK611G

--EDIT:

after looking at the video it is defiantly the same computer system as i see the PS5 beside the monitor, no idea how that much damage was done when clearly the ps5 could have been saved even the monitor WTF happened lol

EDIT2---

Original translation to english ---

English Version:
He went out have lunch and he found out the PC have smoke coming out from the PC when he returned. After cut off the power the smoke still getting bigger and bigger. And it caught fire directly. He notified the property and the fire was put out by firefighters. It didn't affect the neighbors. He was still afraid after thinking of it. Luckily he using flame retardant curtain. Unfortunately the whole PC burned down badly so he can't determine the component cause it.
Suspect the PSU as the power cord at the bottom area of casing burn until left cooper only

damn lmfao.

The owner built the pc in Jan 2020, using original cables, only changed the gpu and psu a week before the fire. In a Chinese forum he mentioned the video was taken by his wife.

Also some people who watched the video in forum pointed out they can see fire/light from bottom of the case (5-7s). They suspect the psu or fan/rgb hub caught fire.

Spec:
i9-9900k
ROG Z390 Maximus XI Hero with wifi
970 EVO 250gb m.2
Hikvision c2000pro 2tb m.2
G.Skill trident Z 8gbx2 f4-3200c16d-16gtzr
Corsair H150i
Asus ROG Strix 3090 OC
Seasonic prime tx 1000
CM C700P EATX case
Case fan - TT Riing Plus 12 RGB x6

Associate
He unlocked the true potential of his 3090 :) The Seasonic 1000W PSU performed brilliantly, providing all 1kilowatt to the GPU ;)

Back
Top Bottom