In 2014 people were derrided for their views on Facebook's takeover of Oculus

Soldato
Only it isn't, they make their money by selling advertising space, and use user information for targeting purposes, they do not 'sell your data' to companies. Or if they do, that is not their public business model.

We use Facebook for advertising, and there are no options for buying/downloading/exporting personal data, as purchasing 3rd party personal data is illegal in the EU.

All we can do is load in lists of email addresses from our own database, and either target them with adverts, or create lookalike audiences (letting the algorithm try and find other Facebook users with similar profiles) for serve adverts to. The other option to is create an audience not based on our own data, where we can select broad attributes, such as 'likes xyz company'. Again, we get no data, the idea is that our ads are served to people who will be interested in our company, click through, and hopefully sign up for direct marketing.
Come on now don't be silly. Using facts and common sense have no place in Facebook/Oculus bashing threads ;)

(For the record I was dissapointed when Oculus sold to FB and almost cancelled my DK2. IF you were gonna make a stand that was the time to do it. Facebook integration is dissapointing but was ultimately inevitable the moment they bought Oculus.

I have a FB account. I don't use it much but the notion of privacy sailed long ago imo. Google, MS, FB . Not much in it imo.

I would agree FB have been negligent in the past allowing ussr data to be leaked.... But a lot of users are all too happy to share information about them with any link which asks.
I do agree far too many companies take too little care of our data. Even companies like Sony have allowed all sorts of details to be leaked by not taking enough care over security. But then so has our government.

Last edited:
Associate
Has anyone tried this or knows someone that's tried this?

I have got this to work: Quest 2 + no Facebook account. It is glorious!
It doesn't seem to work for everyone; there's a few comments in that video that mention that it didn't work for them. It could be that this was blocked in an update to the Quest 2; I made sure I went through that process before the headset auto-updated and it worked fine.

Associate
Figured this was a good a thread as any to post this. Just stopping by to give a shout out to Oculus support
blue_thumbsup.gif

Last month the audio in my right headphone stopped working (launch CV1). Opened a support ticket to see if they could offer a repair. My issue isn't uncommon, I think the audio connector within the headset strap can wear out and fail. Bear in mind my headset is 4 years 8 months old at this point and has been well used so I was very happy when they offered to RMA for gratis and send me a refurbished one in its place. Sent my original one off to them last Monday, just the headset with earphones and facial interface removed as requested. Today my refurbished one got delivered looking as good as my original one did when I first unboxed it all those years ago.

Extra bonus was that it came with a brand spanking new facial interface, great news as my original was very warn, plus connection cable and headphones (which means I now have spares of those). Top service
blue_smile.gif

Soldato
Facebook was kind of exciting in around 2008 now it's garbage, I'm sad people still use it. The old days were better with friends reunited and MySpace then bebo. I hope FB disappears for good.
FB is here to stay, or I hope it is anyway..... I haven't really used facebook till about 6 months ago when I discovered "single groups", as Im totally rubbish with the ladies face to face, so this is a massive help for me as in breaking the ice so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom