• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 6900/6950 XT Owners Thread.

Associate
I think it's the same thing. For me, it's not just how loud it is, it's how the noise changes depending on the GPU load (I guess). When the FPS is above 200, it sounds like I have a spectrum tape deck that's been sucking down helium gas in my pc.

I've tried a cooler master 1000W M2 and a corsair RM750x and the whine is the same using both power supplies. Having put a bit of thought and effort into making this PC nice and quiet, it's kind of been spoilt a bit by what is the single most expensive component in it.

Since I plugged in the third cable, the noise has come down but is still there a tiny bit. Given that I wear headphones when I game, it's not too much of an issue for me I suppose.

Last edited:
Associate
This is the coil whine for those who are interested. Not as bad as it was before, but still noticeable. I'm tabbing out and back into the game

Man of Honour
OP
My sapphire nitro+ arrived today, something I didn't expect to buy, but it was the only thing I've managed to get in the basket since that dark day in September:)

No time to install until Boxing Day though and no buyers remorse............yet!
I bought a sapphire 6900xt the other day. It's just the reference card in a sapphire box. I have pretty bad coil whine as well. It has reduced a little in the last few days but it's the loudest coil whine I've ever heard.

https://imgur.com/a/JkyZDSr

LYxTAEF.jpg

Welcome and on TROH.:)

The Roll of Honour.

XM8L91W.png

Date 24/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, ch99mr, Link
Date 24/12/2020, Make Sapphire Nitro+, hornytoe, Link
Date 23/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, Diplodocus, Link
Date 23/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, DeathStorm, Link
Date 23/12/2020, Make PowerColor Red Devil, Jonnym28, Link
Date 17/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, DustyMiller, Link
Date 16/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, Curlyriff, Link
Date 16/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, Chewie, Link
Date 16/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, Too Tall, Link

To get on the Roll of Honour all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your Radeon RX 6900 XT.

Associate
Just to update on my coil whine .... I rebuilt my old PC in a separate case with the 1000W PSU just to see if it could be anything to do with my new PC (motherboard, CPU, RAM, etc) but the whine was just as bad. I will speak to the retailer about when they open but the card is more than likely going back to them, it really is that loud and annoying.

Edit: The old case was a fractal R6 and I moved the sound deadened panel over to the GPU side and that did nothing to lessen the noise. It seems to be the kind of frequency that passes through everything, souls included.

Last edited:
Associate
Just to update on my coil whine .... I rebuilt my old PC in a separate case with the 1000W PSU just to see if it could be anything to do with my new PC (motherboard, CPU, RAM, etc) but the whine was just as bad. I will speak to the retailer about when they open but the card is more than likely going back to them, it really is that loud and annoying.

Edit: The old case was a fractal R6 and I moved the sound deadened panel over to the GPU side and that did nothing to lessen the noise. It seems to be the kind of frequency that passes through everything, souls included.
Do you have a video by any chance?

Associate
Do you have a video by any chance?

I do. This is running the heaven benchmark. You can hear it winding up and then there is a dip at a scene change. This is with FPS capped at 234fps. I went for this card to aim for 240fps at 1440p. This kind of noise is audible from 70FPS and up.

Last edited:
Associate
I do. This is running the heaven benchmark. You can hear it winding up and then there is a dip at a scene change. This is with FPS capped at 234fps. I went for this card to aim for 240fps at 1440p. This kind of noise is audible from 70FPS and up.

https://youtu.be/rJYz0PQp3cc

Sounds very similar to mine. The (newer) video below is me running Heaven, tabbing out, then dragging it to my 60hz monitor where the whine becomes almost unnoticeable.

I'm going to give it a few more weeks and see if it improves.

The strange thing is is that it comes and goes, I'm running heaven now and it's more or less silent.....

Associate
Sounds very similar to mine. The (newer) video below is me running Heaven, tabbing out, then dragging it to my 60hz monitor where the whine becomes almost unnoticeable.

I'm going to give it a few more weeks and see if it improves.

The strange thing is is that it comes and goes, I'm running heaven now and it's more or less silent.....

At 60FPS mine has the kind of coil whine I would expect, it's there but you have to listen for it. At any thing above 75FPS then it's clearly audible above anything else in the PC case, from there it just gets louder and louder the higher the FPS goes. With returns I'm just thinking about the 14 day window as I don't really want this to turn into an RMA battle with the retailer, especially with something as subjective as coil whine. I'm a slightly more 'mature' gamer as well so I would hate to imagine what this sounds like to young ears.

Associate
Managed to get a reference one at MSRP+taxes. Pretty happy with it. Almost no coil whine. Good amount of OC with UV/MPT.
aygH9QY

https://imgur.com/a/aygH9QY PHPTPhd.jpg

Associate
3rd update on coil whine if anyone's interested. I bought cyberpunk and have been playing it without headphones and while I can notice some coil whine, it certainly isn't as bad as it is in benchmarks.

The video shows me tabbing in and out of the game to show the contrast in sound, with the first half inside the case (right next to the card) and the second half outside, with the case closed. With the case closed my phone is right next to the case for the first few seconds then it is moved away to my seating position, around 80cm away. The mic doesn't pic it up too well but it does give you an idea of how much quieter it is outside. For those with better insulated cases, it may be much quite.

With the gpu undervolted, there is a change in coil whine so this might be worth trying?

I am also pulling c275w (from radeon overlay) and running anywhere from 60-90fps on ultra (without Ray tracing as that's not supported yet)

Caporegime
One for the roll of honour @Kaapstad, managed to snag one elsewhere on the 22nd they were available for half an hour or more so must've been a fairly big drop.

No coil whine on my 6900 XT unless in menu screens when FPS are 1000-2000. My 6800 XT has a bit more whine though, but I've dampened it down a bit since purchase.

rMYEqhy.jpg

Done some testing and with a tuned 6800 XT vs a tuned 6900 XT, identical power limits, clock speeds (to within a few Mhz) and voltages (to within a few mv) and the 6900 XT is 10-12% faster in my testing when GPU bound.

6900 XT runs at a lower voltage (around 20-30mv roughly) for the same clocks, so runs cooler and quieter for me.

Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War
5120x1440
Max Settings, with RT/Blur and Film Grain off
2500Mhz/2100Mhz with Fast timings

6800 XT
KvCpqFG.jpg

6900 XT
xm1NJqr.jpg

12% faster in the screenshots above.

Took some videos in Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War online and single player with the 6900 XT.

I was able to run this on my 650W PSU with a 50a 12v, however I get shut downs if I try to overclock beyond 2500Mhz so have ordered an 850W Watt with 65a 12v so that should give me more headroom.

Last edited:
Caporegime
One for the roll of honour @Kaapstad, managed to snag one elsewhere on the 22nd they were available for half an hour or more so must've been a fairly big drop.

No coil whine on my 6900 XT unless in menu screens when FPS are 1000-2000. My 6800 XT has a bit more whine though, but I've dampened it down a bit since purchase.

rMYEqhy.jpg

Done some testing and with a tuned 6800 XT vs a tuned 6900 XT, identical power limits, clock speeds (to within a few Mhz) and voltages (to within a few mv) and the 6900 XT is 10-12% faster in my testing when GPU bound.

6900 XT runs at a lower voltage (around 20-30mv roughly) for the same clocks, so runs cooler and quieter for me.

2560x1440

6800 XT
KvCpqFG.jpg

6900 XT
xm1NJqr.jpg

Took some videos in Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War online and single player with the 6900 XT.

I was able to run this on my 650W PSU with a 50a 12v, however I get shut downs if I try to overclock beyond 2500Mhz so have ordered an 850W Watt with 65a 12v so that should give me more headroom.

Is your 6800xt going up for sale per chance? :p

Caporegime
Is your 6800xt going up for sale per chance? :p
Yep most likely, although I quite like having it as an ornament in front of my PC. :D

humbug had first refusal but didn’t want it, Pete is next in line but you can go third if you like. :p

If I do decide to sell it’ll be on the MM as usual.

Caporegime
Yep most likely, although I quite like having it as an ornament in front of my PC. :D

humbug had first refusal but didn’t want it, Pete is next in line but you can go third if you like. :p

If I do decide to sell it’ll be on the MM as usual.

Might do depending on price, will keep a lookout.

Man of Honour
OP
Managed to get a reference one at MSRP+taxes. Pretty happy with it. Almost no coil whine. Good amount of OC with UV/MPT.
aygH9QY

https://imgur.com/a/aygH9QY PHPTPhd.jpg

rMYEqhy.jpg

2560x1440

6800 XT
KvCpqFG.jpg

6900 XT
xm1NJqr.jpg

Welcome and on TROH.:)

The Roll of Honour.

XM8L91W.png

Date 27/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, LtMatt, Link
Date 26/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, Abhishek Shukla, Link
Date 24/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, ch99mr, Link
Date 24/12/2020, Make Sapphire Nitro+, hornytoe, Link
Date 23/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, Diplodocus, Link
Date 23/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, DeathStorm, Link
Date 23/12/2020, Make PowerColor Red Devil, Jonnym28, Link
Date 17/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, DustyMiller, Link
Date 16/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, Curlyriff, Link
Date 16/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, Chewie, Link
Date 16/12/2020, Make AMD Reference, Too Tall, Link

To get on the Roll of Honour all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your Radeon RX 6900 XT.

Associate
Wanted to ask a question about my system. I am facing a unique issue where I have set my monitor to turn off after 25 minutes and when I turn it on by moving mouse, my clicks on browser or anything else don't work for 1-2 seconds then everything is fine. Was wondering if this is related to AMD card as I don't recall such a thing happening with my 2080 ti. Has anyone else faced or is facing such an issue?

Associate
Wanted to ask a question about my system. I am facing a unique issue where I have set my monitor to turn off after 25 minutes and when I turn it on by moving mouse, my clicks on browser or anything else don't work for 1-2 seconds then everything is fine. Was wondering if this is related to AMD card as I don't recall such a thing happening with my 2080 ti. Has anyone else faced or is facing such an issue?
It's fine wine, you need to look at it, then smell it, then you can drink it. :)
Gigabyte putting triple 8 pin on an gaming oc lol? Does that mean they won't be making an extreme or master?
Why bother since they will all be the same? And probably they don't have too many chips yet anyway.
I wish every manufacturer will make only one card instead of selling you an already overclocked one. And then another one which is even more overclocked.

Associate
Have been trying to get a 6800 XT but not seen anything so when the 6900 XT came up for £1100 I couldn't resist! Bought a new PSU with the same order as I'm running a 550w at the moment but that got sent separately and has not turned up yet!

mwpPw4D.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom