Official Home Gym Building Thread

Associate
Bit of a long shot but has anyone had to replace a pulley cable from a bodymax cf475? The plastic has frayed and the end is running on the bare cable which isn't very smooth anymore.

Been waiting on powerhouse fitness for almost a week to get back to me wanted to order it in time for Christmas.

This looks very similar

https://www.gymparts.co.uk/bodymax-cf475-power-rack-gym-cable-wire-rope/p02031

Soldato
Just in case anybody missed this - Mirafit have launched a new range of racks, the M200 series (which I guess are the evolution of the M2 series)

Thinking about picking up the M210 half rack + the plate storage, some safeties, dip attachment and landmine.. The only thing giving me slight pause is that the hole-spacings on the rack are 80mm apart rather than the nicer westside spacing; it'll be my first rack so I'm unsure how big of a deal it really is... Hmm

Associate
Just in case anybody missed this - Mirafit have launched a new range of racks, the M200 series (which I guess are the evolution of the M2 series)

Thinking about picking up the M210 half rack + the plate storage, some safeties, dip attachment and landmine.. The only thing giving me slight pause is that the hole-spacings on the rack are 80mm apart rather than the nicer westside spacing; it'll be my first rack so I'm unsure how big of a deal it really is... Hmm
IMO it can be a big deal for bench.
I've got the previous M2 350kg rack with the same hole spacing. Currently I have the j-hooks set too low for my ideal lift-off as the next hole up causes me to loose tightness in the shoulders when unwracking and can cause me shoulder pain on a heavy last rep when re-wracking. I've got some Total Body Base j-hooks on the way that look like they are offset between holes that I'm hoping will help. (EDIT>>The M200 j-hooks look very similar to the TBB models - the pin and hook are offset from the hole spacing so may be better than the older M2 j-hooks that have the rest on the same level as the pin with the plastic on top. It of course all depends on your preferred height and where the holes start from the bottom as to if the spacing will suit you)
Also of course the safeties can be an issue if you can't set them at the right height - you may hit the safety at the bottom of the rep or you may have to set the safety a little too low to protect you from a drop - your face will be protected but your chest may still get a good hit if the bar slips out of your hands (unlikely but possible) depending on how big an arch you've got. My arch is bugger all but I've got a very big chest!

Ways round both - drill new holes (plenty of space to fit another 1" hole in between the current ones) or get some plywood inside the rack to raise the bench in relation to the hooks and safeties.

Last edited:
Soldato
IMO it can be a big deal for bench.
I've got the previous M2 350kg rack with the same hole spacing. Currently I have the j-hooks set too low for my ideal lift-off as the next hole up causes me to loose tightness in the shoulders when unwracking and can cause me shoulder pain on a heavy last rep when re-wracking. I've got some Total Body Base j-hooks on the way that look like they are offset between holes that I'm hoping will help.
Also of course the safeties can be an issue if you can't set them at the right height - you may hit the safety at the bottom of the rep or you may have to set the safety a little too low to protect you from a drop - your face will be protected but your chest may still get a good hit if the bar slips out of your hands (unlikely but possible) depending on how big an arch you've got. My arch is bugger all but I've got a very big chest!

Ways round both - drill new holes (plenty of space to fit another 1" hole in between the current ones) or get some plywood inside the rack to raise the bench in relation to the hooks and safeties.

Thanks for this, this is kind of what I was hoping - it's potentially annoying but there are workarounds if needed... Perhaps I'll be lucky and the holes will be just right (may be unlikely especially as it's for both me and the wife, you never know though!). I wondered about drilling extra holes - obviously it'll be a bit of a pain and go through drill bits a little but my Dad is a tradesman so I expect he'd be willing to let me use his stuff and then replace it via his work. So long as it won't weaken the rack or anything?

Frankly for the price you can't really argue - before this I was contemplating one of the Bulldog wall-folding racks but that was almost £600, plus another £180 for safeties and £90 or something for their landmine whereas I can get the M210, plate storage, landmine and safeties from Mirafit for barely £500 all in... what a bargain!

While I think about questions - my 20kg Mirafit barbell is a bit on the heavy side for my wife - I was thinking of getting a womens 6ft / 15kg bar but then I noticed they also do a 6.8kg "technique" bar... I feel like she might actually prefer the lightest bar possible for maximum control over the weight on it... There doesn't seem to be anything about the technique bar that is a major drawback from what I can see? The sleeves are a little short but I don't think that will bother her - something where she can go from the 6.8kg bar probably up to a max of I don't know 40 or 50kg oneday is probably all she's after. Thoughts?

Soldato
Only downside I see is that it says the technique bar is only suitable for bumper or plastic plates, not metal. No idea why

Managed to bag an Oly barbell, 2 15kg bumper plates, collars, mats and a rack for £270 almost new :eek: I will get rid of the rack and mats as they are not quite the quality I'm looking for, but will 100% do to tide me over until I get a loaded M210.

Soldato
Only downside I see is that it says the technique bar is only suitable for bumper or plastic plates, not metal. No idea why

Yeah I thought that was odd as well... only thing I could think is that the sleeves aren't metal or something but they seem to be? I'm still in two minds though, I think once our new rack arrives I'll get her to have a go at pressing and squatting with the unloaded 20kg bar I use with me spotting. I think when she says it seems too heavy for her she is going by how heavy it feels trying to pick it up off the ground. It would be annoying to get the technique bar and then her have to always load it up with an extra 10kg or something

Managed to bag an Oly barbell, 2 15kg bumper plates, collars, mats and a rack for £270 almost new :eek: I will get rid of the rack and mats as they are not quite the quality I'm looking for, but will 100% do to tide me over until I get a loaded M210.

Nice :) My M210 has dispatched, unsure if it will get here before Christmas but will post how it is once I get it setup. Very excited to not have to keep dangerously trying to workout without it :D

Soldato
Picked up another 100kg of Rogue bumper plates, a more beefy rack, and an adjustable bench for only £350 :eek:

Can't believe my luck, the next day we go into Tier 4. Great timing.

Yeah I thought that was odd as well... only thing I could think is that the sleeves aren't metal or something but they seem to be? I'm still in two minds though, I think once our new rack arrives I'll get her to have a go at pressing and squatting with the unloaded 20kg bar I use with me spotting. I think when she says it seems too heavy for her she is going by how heavy it feels trying to pick it up off the ground. It would be annoying to get the technique bar and then her have to always load it up with an extra 10kg or something

Nice :) My M210 has dispatched, unsure if it will get here before Christmas but will post how it is once I get it setup. Very excited to not have to keep dangerously trying to workout without it :D

The technique bar being 7ft is great as well, no compromise getting only a 6ft bar. Let me know how the M210 is :)

Soldato
Glad my weights from Pro-Plates came even if they took about 7 weeks to turn up - just lol @ people on their FB post comments who said they'd cancelled their orders because the gyms were opening again and they'd given up waiting - no idea how long this Tier 4 thing will last but I knew they'd keep doing more lockdowns until everyone is dead from something else so we can get that 0 R-rate.

Soldato
Odd question but is there a way to hold a rowing machine wrong?

https://www.gymratz.co.uk/horizon-oxford-rower

I have the above, got it free from a gym that closed, anyway my fingers usually around 10 minutes in are in agony, I have the energy to carry on but end up not doing so purely cause of the pain in holding the bars.

The pain is in my fingers itself on what I'm assuming is the tendon part.

I grip the bars like I would be gripping a bike I mean there isn't really any other way to hold em anyway :s

Soldato
Don't grip too tightly is the first big tip - just hook your fingers around it enough to pull on it and feel secure.

Have you used a rowing machine much before? My hands calloused up quite a bit to begin with.

Soldato
Don't grip too tightly is the first big tip - just hook your fingers around it enough to pull on it and feel secure.

Have you used a rowing machine much before? My hands calloused up quite a bit to begin with.
Many years ago before I became bit of a fat ****

never had pain in fingers then I was also 10 years younger mind

Last edited:
Soldato
My Mirafit M210 half rack showed up last week... really love it so far it seems great quality and happy with all the attachments I got (spotter arms, landmine + weight storage extension). I am still desperately in need of some bumpers as currently all I have are 4x5kg and 8x2.5kg rubber-coated hex weights - so with the bar as well the max I can load up is 60kg and it's a pain having to load that many individual weights onto it!

One other thing which I can't decide if it's a problem or not. I guess my garage floor (+ stall mats) are unsurprisingly not perfectly level, and so neither is the rack. It's not drastically off and doesn't feel weird in use but visually I can see that it's slightly off (versus the mortar lines on the wall) and it's annoying! What's the best way to go about sorting it?

I could try and wedge something under the lower side as I bolt it down? (got the floor fixing kit just not gotten round to fixing it yet) Or maybe if I loosen some of the bolts I might be able to push it straighter and then re-tighten (though that seems unlikely to work to me, especially if it's actually the floor that is off?)

Soldato
I self levelled the back half of my garage for the gym, cost a couple hundred including mixer etc but was worth it I feel. Mine was really bad and is now completely flat with stall mats on top

Do you get the impression it needs fixing to the floor? I'm hoping with the weight storage attached, it will be solid enough to avoid doing so and I don't want to cut/drill into the mats.

Associate
Been after a pair of 50 DBs for a while at a decent price. Settled on some 48s in the end, Urethane. Origin are selling them at a good price presumably because of the branding on them. So £199 delivered for a pair of 48kg dumbbells. That will fit nicely into my set as it currently tops out at 42.5kg.

https://originfitness.com/urethane-dumbbells
For the lateral raises? :)

Soldato
Joined the waitlist for a Concept 2, many are going for more money used than new. Four month wait :eek:

The prices are ridiculous. I bought mine in 2016 and could have sold it in the first lockdown for more than I bought it for 4 years ago with over 6 million metres on it! It was very tempting, but I'd go crazy without the C2.

Back
Top Bottom