Plusnet Discussion Thread

Soldato
The Plusnet router is pretty awful, I recently moved to Plusnet and found the router to have significant coil whine which when researching is due to the 5Ghz WiFi being active and even more surprisingly, this issue has been going on for years. Apparently Sagem, the router manufacturer, say the noise is within acceptable limits which is ridiculous considering the Sky Hub I had before was silent.

I got around the issue by ordering a TP Link Deco M4 mesh system (was £65ish for twin AP pack), turning off the wireless points on the Plusnet router and having the Deco work in AP mode.

This also solved the issue I have with poor signal in my bedroom with both Sky and Plusnet supplied routers. I think this was the case because despite having a small flat, the signal needs to pass through tiled open plan kitchen, that backs onto a tiled main bathroom which itself backs onto a tiled ensuite before getting to my bedroom. Apparently tiles can be difficult for WiFi signal?

So try that rather than spending £150 on a new modem/router.

Associate
The Plusnet router is pretty awful, I recently moved to Plusnet and found the router to have significant coil whine which when researching is due to the 5Ghz WiFi being active and even more surprisingly, this issue has been going on for years. Apparently Sagem, the router manufacturer, say the noise is within acceptable limits which is ridiculous considering the Sky Hub I had before was silent.

I got around the issue by ordering a TP Link Deco M4 mesh system (was £65ish for twin AP pack), turning off the wireless points on the Plusnet router and having the Deco work in AP mode.

This also solved the issue I have with poor signal in my bedroom with both Sky and Plusnet supplied routers. I think this was the case because despite having a small flat, the signal needs to pass through tiled open plan kitchen, that backs onto a tiled main bathroom which itself backs onto a tiled ensuite before getting to my bedroom. Apparently tiles can be difficult for WiFi signal?

So try that rather than spending £150 on a new modem/router.
Thank you, will definitely look into mesh systems. Also after reading up apparently BT Hub 6 is much better than Plusnet hub so might look into that as well.

Soldato
Thank you, will definitely look into mesh systems. Also after reading up apparently BT Hub 6 is much better than Plusnet hub so might look into that as well.

If you tell us what your issue(s) with the existing router are, you'll get advice on what you need. If not you'll get a bunch of (well meaning) people telling you why what they have worked for them with no clue if it'll solve your issue.

Associate
`
If you tell us what your issue(s) with the existing router are, you'll get advice on what you need. If not you'll get a bunch of (well meaning) people telling you why what they have worked for them with no clue if it'll solve your issue.
Sorry forgot to reply to your earlier on. Keep on getting bad wifi upstairs, my house is by all means not big so shouldn't be a problem. I have split 5 and 2.4 ghz signals, which worked for about a year and now same problem. This is second Plusnet hub which I've gone through after last one developed same problem. Thanks for your help :)

Soldato
If it's a wifi issue and you're otherwise happy then have you considered running a cable upstairs and installing an AP in a central location such as a landing? It'll be cheap and mean you usually get much better coverage upstairs and downstairs. The BT HH's are indeed a cheap drop in replacement on PN and later versions have technically better wifi than the PN Hub, but generally AIO routers tend to be in convenient locations, not optimum locations, this is why an AP is generally a much better option.

Associate
If it's a wifi issue and you're otherwise happy then have you considered running a cable upstairs and installing an AP in a central location such as a landing? It'll be cheap and mean you usually get much better coverage upstairs and downstairs. The BT HH's are indeed a cheap drop in replacement on PN and later versions have technically better wifi than the PN Hub, but generally AIO routers tend to be in convenient locations, not optimum locations, this is why an AP is generally a much better option.
Instead of using running a cable upstairs is there any way of using electric lines such as I use for running home plugs upstairs ?

Soldato
Instead of using running a cable upstairs is there any way of using electric lines such as I use for running home plugs upstairs ?

The problem with powerline is you get a tiny fraction of the promised speed, first because they quote speed in full duplex, second because the technology is highly flawed, you won't get anywhere near the claimed speeds even if you put two adapters in a double socket next to each other. As you only have FTTC and that tops out at 80/20 it may provide acceptable results though, but it's one of those products where you really need to try it and buy from somewhere with a decent returns policy.

Associate
The problem with powerline is you get a tiny fraction of the promised speed, first because they quote speed in full duplex, second because the technology is highly flawed, you won't get anywhere near the claimed speeds even if you put two adapters in a double socket next to each other. As you only have FTTC and that tops out at 80/20 it may provide acceptable results though, but it's one of those products where you really need to try it and buy from somewhere with a decent returns policy.
Ah I see, lot to think about......thank you for your help.

Soldato
Ethernet over power lines depend on quality of house electrics, I'm getting almost 400Mbps up stairs, and 190Mbps down stairs. The down stairs is on it's own circuit, so the signal is jumping past separate trip switches in the trip box, 190Mbps still way above my internet speed however. Perfect world cables are always better, but ethernet over power line better than WiFi for myself.

There is another small downside to ethernet over power lines, they inject a tiny amount of electrical hum into the mains, if your into audio and Hifi you might notice. I run my HiFi equipment on mains conditioners that I have confirmed filters most, but not quite all, out.

Associate
Those with Plusnet Youview. Do the additional channel packs integrate into the rest of the channel listings? As I noticed the TalkTalk version just seems to be NowTV passes. So presumably you'd need to launch another app each time. Not sure if Plusnet is the same or not.

Don
Those with Plusnet Youview. Do the additional channel packs integrate into the rest of the channel listings? As I noticed the TalkTalk version just seems to be NowTV passes. So presumably you'd need to launch another app each time. Not sure if Plusnet is the same or not.

Integrates under a different section of the EPG, but works like any other channel

Associate
Without ringing them, is there a way to calculate a fee for cancellation? My contract is not over until August but I should have FTTP in January (not openreach).

Back
Top Bottom