• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Soldato
My 3080FE arrived today, bought on a whim as I already behave an MSI 3070.

I hope I've got a decent one and the temps can be kept low, the 3070 runs at 62c on full load with barely audible fans. I have an airflow focused case (Lian Li lancool mesh 2) so hopefully I can keep it under 70c

Undervolting seems to be the way to not just keep cool, but also to overclock. 3080FE - NIce:cool:

Associate
Yeah undervolting is the way, in 3DMark its mainly held back by power limits but have found a nice everyday overclock which I have settled on which is: 2050Mhz @ 0.937V & +700 Memory. I find it sits around 95% of the stock powerlimit in games and just constantly boosts at 2025-20050MHz which topping out about 67-69C with a sensible fan curve.

Associate
My 3080FE arrived today, bought on a whim as I already behave an MSI 3070.

I hope I've got a decent one and the temps can be kept low, the 3070 runs at 62c on full load with barely audible fans. I have an airflow focused case (Lian Li lancool mesh 2) so hopefully I can keep it under 70c

Stock I'm going to say 70c is wishful thinking. It seems to want to try and aim between 75 - 80c on stock settings. You'll probably need a custom fan curve, in my opinion anything over 65% is pretty loud.

Associate
Stock I'm going to say 70c is wishful thinking. It seems to want to try and aim between 75 - 80c on stock settings. You'll probably need a custom fan curve, in my opinion anything over 65% is pretty loud.

Guess this has always been the downside of the FE cards. I built my system for low noise & temps, and the MSI 3070 is amazing in that regard, 62c with fans at 40%. I used to own a blower style 1080, and have no desire to head back to those levels of noise.

If I can achieve sub 70c with a 50%ish fan curve I'll be happy. However, if I can't hit the noise and temp levels I want with the FE card then I'm willing to sell the card on and stick with the 3070 until I can find a suitable aftermarket card.

Soldato
Just noticed something strange. When I click on my curve profile in afterburner, the voltage curve is where I set it (going to 2070 mhz, flat from 1000mv), but when I click apply the whole curve jumps up, with the max of 2085 mhz at 993mv. Anyone know why?

Associate
Just noticed something strange. When I click on my curve profile in afterburner, the voltage curve is where I set it (going to 2070 mhz, flat from 1000mv), but when I click apply the whole curve jumps up, with the max of 2085 mhz at 993mv. Anyone know why?

Not sure exactly but I feel like Afterburner or the card likes certain values or rounding.

Down from 1950/900mv to 1890/850mv the temps went from 88C to 80C in Quake 2 RTX which is the hottest test I have. I haven't had any crash since testing all this, however I have been staying in what most people regard as safe. I'll see how far I can push the clocks at 850mv but that's pretty good for me.

Soldato

Yes I noticed the same behaviour and posted to that effect in the 3090 thread. The curve can move up and down, I think its based partly on the temperature also. Problem is, this can be a pain as the card can also boost slightly further then the indicated speed you try to set by a couple of steps as a result. Therefore safest way is to slightly overvolt, or notch the frequency down by 1 bin. Though that said, not sure why your seeing a totally different voltage point moving.

Soldato

The FE coolers this time round are the best I have ever known. You cant compare them to the blower types of old. In gaming my 3080FE on stock (no custom fan curve) is 62-66c depending on which game I play. All depends on what your setting are. Benchmarking most I have seen is 72c (Superposition). Plus can hardly hear it.

Also you may have seen it on websites and in the games section but the Epic Launcher is causing Ryzen CPU temps to rise around 10c.

On mine with Epic Launcher running its around 41c, with it not running its currently idling at 30c! Every little helps. :)

Associate

My 3080 FE runs max 70c so it probably comes down to how good your case airflow is. This is in COD-BOCW max everything.

Man of Honour
not a fan of the fe card blowing hot air directly on my highly clocked ram, already had a lock up.

Yeah - had to adjust my setup as it was venting hot air directly into my CPU at the worst possible spot - had to add an additional fan at twice the RPM of my existing fans to get back to where I was - which sucked as my setup was very quiet before.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Yeah - had to adjust my setup as it was venting hot air directly into my CPU at the worst possible spot - had to add an additional fan at twice the RPM of my existing fans to get back to where I was - which sucked as my setup was very quiet before.

Bit weird as my CPU temps have dropped since replacing my Zotac 2080Ti with a 3090FE.

Suppose it might help that I have triple exhaust fans at the top of the case, but they were there with the previous GPU too.

You don’t have anything blocking the GPU exhaust do you? I had to remove a couple of struts that were obstructing the exhaust.

Caporegime
Do the FE coolers live upto the spiel that Jensen was spouting? He claimed the 3090 fe cooler ran 30 degrees cooler than the rtx titan, from what i've seen the rtx titan seemed to top out at similar temps to other fe cards, mid to late 70's. So i'm doubting very much that then 3090FE runs in the 40-50 c range.

Soldato
Do the FE coolers live upto the spiel that Jensen was spouting? He claimed the 3090 fe cooler ran 30c cooler than the rtx titan, from what i've seen the rtx titan seemed to top out at similar temps to other fe cards, mid to late 70's. So i'm doubting very much that then 3090FE runs in the 40-50 c range.

My 3090 target temp is 69c. The card heavily depends on your case cooling. With good case cooling in non-RT games I get 65c with 40% fan (non-audible) with RT heavy games like metro I get 69-70c at 62% fan (audible and I would say loud). But I have a lower end bin chip by the looks of it, perhaps others got a quiter and cooler card.

Associate
Well, 3080FE is in, and undervolted. Considering what I've achieved with the undervolt it shows how poor they run out of the box in comparison. I've used Heaven/TimeSpy/Port Royal for testing:

Stock:
1.05-1.07v
320w power draw
1870Mhz average clock
73c
50% fan speed
2510 heaven score
17115 Timespy
10986 Port Royal

Undervolt:
0.875v
260w power draw
1875Mhz average clock
63c
50% fan speed
2506 heaven score
17393 Timespy
11110 Port Royal

So undervolt gives identical performance, but 60w less power draw, and 10c cooler. I did try a few other settings, dropping down to 0.825v or up to 0.925v, but 0.875v/1875Mhz seems to give the best compromise overall.

Of course this is all based on benchmark software, time for some game testing.

But overall, happy and impressed (once undervolted). The 12 pin adapter still looks crappy though.

Edit-Sitting @ 58c in Cyberpunk, can't hear the fans at all. Undervolting, it's the future.

Now, how do I access the sales page on here, I've got a 3070 to sell.

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Well, 3080FE is in, and undervolted. /snip

So undervolt gives identical performance, but 60w less power draw, and 10c cooler. I did try a few other settings, dropping down to 0.825v or up to 0.925v, but 0.875v/1875Mhz seems to give the best compromise overall.

Of course this is all based on benchmark software, time for some game testing.

But overall, happy and impressed (once undervolted). The 12 pin adapter still looks crappy though.

star-wars-the-mandalorian-t-shirt-this-is-the-way.jpg

Back
Top Bottom