• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 5900X \5950X owners thread***

Caporegime
Yeah, I've tried 1 DIMM, different ram configs, different RAM modules. The manual does say the mb has ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 but I can't seem to get it to work. Not sure if this only recovers a crashed BIOS or enables you to update the BIOS.
Your board requires BIOS 2607 or later, which is fairly recent (2020/08/17) to enable support for Ryzen 5000 series. Perhaps your board is on an earlier BIOS that does not support the CPU.

If that's the case, you can apply for a bootkit with AMD, who will kindly send you a cheap CPU as a loaner to update the BIOS with.
Unable to Boot New Desktop System Configured with AMD 3rd Generation Ryzen™ Desktop Processor, and AMD Socket AM4 400-Series Motherboard | AMD

I would check with Asus to see if the DRAM led would indicate that the issue is with the BIOS, as I'm not sure it should but other than this i am scratching my head.

Last edited:
Associate
Your board requires BIOS 2607 or later, which is fairly recent (2020/08/17) to enable support for Ryzen 5000 series. Perhaps your board is on an earlier BIOS that does not support the CPU.

If that's the case, you can apply for a bootkit with AMD, who will kindly send you a cheap CPU as a loaner to update the BIOS with.
Unable to Boot New Desktop System Configured with AMD 3rd Generation Ryzen™ Desktop Processor, and AMD Socket AM4 400-Series Motherboard | AMD

I would check with Asus to see if the DRAM led would indicate that the issue is with the BIOS, as I'm not sure it should but other than this i am scratching my head.
Cheers. Yeah, I've seen the bootkit from AMD. To be honest will probably just buy a different mb and stick this one on the bay.

Associate
I wrote in another thread on this forum but this one seems more appropriate. I read your results and made sure that normally 5950 in cinebench has a boost within 4ghz. Mine is stuck at 3.7 or 3.8 pbo. Below I paste what I wrote in another thread. If someone knows the solution or causes, please answer me.

"
I have 5950x, default in cb20 is 9300.
My edc and tdc is 100% when tested, cpu power only 95w...
I raised tdc to 110 and edc to 160, curve -15 all core = cinebench 20 10200
This result is still worse than the default in the reviews
The temperature during the test was only 63C
The processor is only 3800mhz (with increased power limit) and 3700mhz default during the cinebench test.

I do not know what's going on, so bad silicon lottery?
Asus Strix-e X570 + Noctua D15

Sorry for my English"

Caporegime
I wrote in another thread on this forum but this one seems more appropriate. I read your results and made sure that normally 5950 in cinebench has a boost within 4ghz. Mine is stuck at 3.7 or 3.8 pbo. Below I paste what I wrote in another thread. If someone knows the solution or causes, please answer me.

"
I have 5950x, default in cb20 is 9300.
My edc and tdc is 100% when tested, cpu power only 95w...
I raised tdc to 110 and edc to 160, curve -15 all core = cinebench 20 10200
This result is still worse than the default in the reviews
The temperature during the test was only 63C
The processor is only 3800mhz (with increased power limit) and 3700mhz default during the cinebench test.

I do not know what's going on, so bad silicon lottery?
Asus Strix-e X570 + Noctua D15

Sorry for my English"
Are you on the latest BIOS? ROG Strix X570-E Gaming | ROG Strix | Gaming Motherboards|ROG - Republic of Gamers|ROG Global (asus.com)
What CPU temps are you getting?

Try using the board optimized default settings, save and exit and run Cinebench R23.

Your score should be around 2500-26500 at stock BIOS settings.

Associate
Are you on the latest BIOS? ROG Strix X570-E Gaming | ROG Strix | Gaming Motherboards|ROG - Republic of Gamers|ROG Global (asus.com)
What CPU temps are you getting?

Try using the board optimized default settings, save and exit and run Cinebench R23.

Your score should be around 2500-26500 at stock BIOS settings.
I have 3003 bios, stockis optimized default settins. My score in r23 24700, single core boost ok. My temperature in r23 62C. With pbo and rise limit tdc, edc i have 26200 and 67C

Caporegime
I have 3003 bios, stockis optimized default settins. My score in r23 24700, single core boost ok. My temperature in r23 62C. With pbo and rise limit tdc, edc i have 26200 and 67C
What are your temps? Your score seems about right depending on your config as these can vary a little between systems.

Associate
Idle 36C aida full stress 76C. Cinebench 60-65C. Single core in game up to 75C
Temperature is ok.
Memory 3600mhz 16-16-16-32 B-die if-1800

While browsing the internet, I had the impression that in cr20 / 23 by default, the cpu hits 4 ghz, not 3.7 ghz.

Associate
No, before that I had a bios 2802 with ryzen3900x. I bought 5950x and saw low render results. I thought it was because of the old bios and changed to the newest one, but it didn't help.
https://imgur.com/fCPgnrY
https://imgur.com/2RKEO8m
2RKEO8m

fCPgnrY

Associate
Guys in the dark hero thread posted problems with the new bios and rolled back to 3003 (?). I'll be changing form 3003 to 3101 today just for a nosey and see if I've got any problems like others (regular hero).

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok, penny for your thoughts regarding PBO. Still can't get past 30k. 29725 so far. I get huge initial boost to 4.65ghz but it just can't maintain that over the course of the bench, finishing around 4.49ghz-ish (I understand this to be typical behaviour, just trying to work out how to maintain it for as long as possible). Those seeing 31k+ what sort of frequencies are you seeing at beginning and end? And is there anyone here getting higher than 30k on air?

Regarding curve optimiser, should you aim to have a larger ratio between your lowest and highest undervolted cores? At the moment my best are around -14, worst around -26.

Tried a variety of auto overclock frequencies and scalar values. Highest result so far is with boost of 100mhz and scalar auto, but does this make much of a difference with multicore runs vs single core?

Temps during last run peaked around 78C. 300 PPT / 200 TDC / 250 EDC. This is on a Noctua NH-D15, full fan speed. I know PBO will try and control against temperature so is this simply a case of trying it with a more powerful cooler?

Associate
Yes, I've got 31k+ but only with manual oc to 4.8. Not played with pbo/curve on this chip yet.

I'm not convinced higher neg values on bad cores is the right way. Imo you should have higher neg on the better cores. This also ties in with AMD advising to start dropping your best 2 cores first. It makes no sense giving the worst cores the largest swing.

You'll be able to increase pbo past 100mhz but it'll be a trade off for lower neg offset. Can also add vcore offset to help overall balance / clock.

Associate
Ok, penny for your thoughts regarding PBO. Still can't get past 30k. 29725 so far. I get huge initial boost to 4.65ghz but it just can't maintain that over the course of the bench, finishing around 4.49ghz-ish (I understand this to be typical behaviour, just trying to work out how to maintain it for as long as possible). Those seeing 31k+ what sort of frequencies are you seeing at beginning and end? And is there anyone here getting higher than 30k on air?

Regarding curve optimiser, should you aim to have a larger ratio between your lowest and highest undervolted cores? At the moment my best are around -14, worst around -26.

Tried a variety of auto overclock frequencies and scalar values. Highest result so far is with boost of 100mhz and scalar auto, but does this make much of a difference with multicore runs vs single core?

Temps during last run peaked around 78C. 300 PPT / 200 TDC / 250 EDC. This is on a Noctua NH-D15, full fan speed. I know PBO will try and control against temperature so is this simply a case of trying it with a more powerful cooler?
on the same cooling with manual OC with a voltage of 1.175V and a stable 4.4 GHz, I have up to 85C

Soldato
Yeah I'm also not concerned about manual. I have set my highest score with a manual OC with lower temps, but I'm trying to eek as much out of PBO as possible to get the best of both worlds (multi+single).

Associate
I know it's overkill, but's what's it like gaming with the 5950X, any issues? And what's the all core boost like whilst gaming, my 3900X currently boosts to around 4.2Ghz?

Back
Top Bottom