• Digital Only Version

Votes: 170 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 659 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.6%

• Total voters
Associate
Very impressed with the ps5 so far. Incredibly quiet, load times are super quick, UI is snappy, and Miles and Demons souls look terrific. Playing Miles in the 30fps mode as the visual/performance tradeoff is worth it and it plays nicely. DS obviously in the 60fps mode as it looks like a slideshow in the 30fps mode. I like the look of the console in our setup too much youth I appreciate due to the size and being white it wouldn’t look as good in other setups. Really impressed with how well the stand works in vertical position and really easy to set up too. Coming from a PS4 Pro and it feels like a really nice step up. The controller is a nice novelty too though how many games fully utilise it remains to be seen. The PS5 pulse headset is also really good too and the only improvement could be that the comfort on the ears could be better but the sound is excellent during gameplay.

Associate
I've mentioned it before but this gen had better not be 30 vs 60 fps modes, not when they slap 8K on the box. I expect 4K60 with reasonable trade offs (low res Ray tracing).

Soldato
Very impressed with the ps5 so far. Incredibly quiet, load times are super quick, UI is snappy, and Miles and Demons souls look terrific. Playing Miles in the 30fps mode as the visual/performance tradeoff is worth it and it plays nicely. DS obviously in the 60fps mode as it looks like a slideshow in the 30fps mode. I like the look of the console in our setup too much youth I appreciate due to the size and being white it wouldn’t look as good in other setups. Really impressed with how well the stand works in vertical position and really easy to set up too. Coming from a PS4 Pro and it feels like a really nice step up. The controller is a nice novelty too though how many games fully utilise it remains to be seen. The PS5 pulse headset is also really good too and the only improvement could be that the comfort on the ears could be better but the sound is excellent during gameplay.

There is a new 60fps performance RT mode in Miles which was patched in a few weeks ago. The DF article I watched suggested that the tradeoff is worth it and that this was the way to play it now. Not tried it myself yet though as I want to finish Valhalla first. The Pulse headset hurts after long plays but I think the sound is great for the money and wireless is nice to have.

Soldato
I've mentioned it before but this gen had better not be 30 vs 60 fps modes, not when they slap 8K on the box. I expect 4K60 with reasonable trade offs (low res Ray tracing).
Yeh I used to prefer maxing graphics as long as FPS was a solid 30 but now I am so used to 60fps that 30fps feels horrible to me and I would rather drop some resolution or effects to keep it there

Caporegime
There's usually very little difference between higher graphics settings visually especially when you're just enjoying a game and not analysing screenshots. PC gamers buy £800 graphics cards to play on Ultra details and yet in reality it's probably 5-10% better IQ with 50% performance impact, higher graphics settings are not the type of graphical improvement you get from a developers artistic ability or coding skills, they just allow the user to ramp up effects which are already there to the point of diminishing returns.

Soldato
There's usually very little difference between higher graphics settings visually especially when you're just enjoying a game and not analysing screenshots. PC gamers buy £800 graphics cards to play on Ultra details and yet in reality it's probably 5-10% better IQ with 50% performance impact, higher graphics settings are not the type of graphical improvement you get from a developers artistic ability or coding skills, they just allow the user to ramp up effects which are already there to the point of diminishing returns.

When I was a PC gamer primarily I spent more time tweaking and benchmarking than actually playing games.

In Miles Morales the only difference I noticed was the pedestrian density between performance and quality.

The ray tracing etc. I had to go looking for and wouldn't have realised unless I'd watched a Digital Foundry video on it.

Soldato
I'd be happy with dynamic4K60 with the bells and whistles. Not that AC:V has much bells or whistles but I've left the game at the standard setting which is supposedly dynamic4K quality and I cannot see any visual differences during any resolution scaling.

Soldato
When I was a PC gamer primarily I spent more time tweaking and benchmarking than actually playing games.

In Miles Morales the only difference I noticed was the pedestrian density between performance and quality.

The ray tracing etc. I had to go looking for and wouldn't have realised unless I'd watched a Digital Foundry video on it.

exactly this. generally, you just don't notice the difference unless you purposely go looking for it and get your face up to the screen.

Soldato
I notice choppy frames more than resolution. AC: Valhalla at 60fps dynamic res is a very nice experience. If I am in a big battle I am too absorbed to notice any resolution changes.

Soldato
Annoying thing I found out about the charging station is that you have to plug it into the wall and not the PS5.

Not a big deal for most but I could have done without another socket being taken up.

Same as it's always been, I ditched my PS4 one as it drew a silly amount of power doing nothing. I hope they have at least fixed that.

Soldato
Same as it's always been, I ditched my PS4 one as it drew a silly amount of power doing nothing. I hope they have at least fixed that.

I think it depended on the fan etc that was included with your PS4.

Mine was super duper loud, would ramp up even on graphically subpar games and would annoy the misses when she was watching tv in the same room. I read up about it and checked my fan which was supposedly the loudest one, bought the different version on amazon and installed and redid all the thermal paste and now it's whisper quiet.

Think the loud one was a delta fan, other one was something else but the difference in noise was night and day.

Back
Top Bottom