Does a desk "audio hub" exist? Kind of like a usb hub

Associate
Hi there,

I got some headphones arriving and while I could just plug them into my PC, I wanted a more sleek solution on my desk.

I already have some speakers, so what I essentially need is something like a hub, where I can connect in the flow of:

3.5mm from PC to Hub

Hub 3.5mm to Speaker PLUS two 3.5mm on the hub (that I can put on my desk) for connecting my headphone and a mic (I have two seperate).

Associate
Hi there,

I got some headphones arriving and while I could just plug them into my PC, I wanted a more sleek solution on my desk.

I already have some speakers, so what I essentially need is something like a hub, where I can connect in the flow of:

3.5mm from PC to Hub

Hub 3.5mm to Speaker PLUS two 3.5mm on the hub (that I can put on my desk) for connecting my headphone and a mic (I have two seperate).
an amp would do this, or a dac and seperate amp to use usb as pc output. then mic into pc 3.5mm

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies!

I hate it when people ask a question and can't be arsed to reply :(

Haha, apologies, I wanted to see today if my headphones arrived so I can see if the wire will reach/ where else I could put the hub.

This looks very overengineered for what I need? Is it simple to use? I see a lot of buttons and I'm really a noob when it comes to this stuff. Also it looks a bit ugly to put on my desk. Thank you for the suggestion though!

an amp would do this, or a dac and seperate amp to use usb as pc output. then mic into pc 3.5mm

Do you have any links? Ideally I'd like to spend around £30/40. Would that get me anything decent?

You can get a Desk grommet with audio and USB, not sure if you can get one with multiple outputs though.

I had a look at some and as you say, I can't find any with multiple audio outputs.

What about something like this?

Looks awesome, but over budget for me at £100 :( - anything like this but cheaper?

Man of Honour
This looks very overengineered for what I need? Is it simple to use? I see a lot of buttons and I'm really a noob when it comes to this stuff. Also it looks a bit ugly to put on my desk. Thank you for the suggestion though!

if that looks complicated look at my stage gear :)

presonus.jpg

Associate
OP
After a bit of digging through the replies - looks like what I'm searching for is a USB DAC. Requirements I would have are:

- USB powered (I'd pay extra if it came with bluetooth too)
- Mic port and headphone port
- Max budget is £30/40

if that looks complicated look at my stage gear :)

presonus.jpg

I can't see the image :(

Associate
- USB powered (I'd pay extra if it came with bluetooth too)
- Mic port and headphone port
- Max budget is £30/40

The only thing I can think of that is remotely close to those requirements is a Syba Sonic USB 24 Bit 96 KHz DAC Digital at c.£36. But that might be worse than the existing soundcard in your PC. It's often recommended as a very cheap device where you maybe don't have other sound options.

I think most USB DAC/AMP (Fiio E10K, Topping D3 fit some of your requirements but aren't in that budget). Only more gaming oriented DAC/AMPs tend to have microphone input. The Creative Soundblaster G6 is the obvious solution but will be c.£70+ even when available as 'B-Stock'.

Associate
OP
The only thing I can think of that is remotely close to those requirements is a Syba Sonic USB 24 Bit 96 KHz DAC Digital at c.£36. But that might be worse than the existing soundcard in your PC. It's often recommended as a very cheap device where you maybe don't have other sound options.

I think most USB DAC/AMP (Fiio E10K, Topping D3 fit some of your requirements but aren't in that budget). Only more gaming oriented DAC/AMPs tend to have microphone input. The Creative Soundblaster G6 is the obvious solution but will be c.£70+ even when available as 'B-Stock'.

Hmmm okay, thanks for the info! Guess I'll just save up more and see after that :)

Associate
OP
So I found a cheap solution.

I can reprogram one of my audio ports on my MB to be for headphones, the other for speaker and one for mic.

You can buy for cheap a 3.5mm desk mount port (designed for cars) that I can screw or stick onto my desk and plug into my PC.

Should work, and came all in under £13.

Back
Top Bottom