Asus ROG X570 Crosshair Dark Hero Release? *** NO Competitor Talk ***

Associate
It still puts some files into system32, even if you say no to the install notification. I just deleted them, but would have preferred that it was default off to start with.
There's a setting in the Uefi to turn it off. It is unfortunate that it isn't something they make you aware of before first boot. Or even better, have off by default.

Associate
Looks like the only DH available is with wifi which I don't need, can you turn the wifi off in the BIOS and leave it without the aerials connected? I recall many moons ago being warned with Cisco routers that leaving the aerials unconnected was a problem as they still try to supply power and potentially could burn the wifi chip out.

Associate
Looks like the only DH available is with wifi which I don't need, can you turn the wifi off in the BIOS and leave it without the aerials connected? I recall many moons ago being warned with Cisco routers that leaving the aerials unconnected was a problem as they still try to supply power and potentially could burn the wifi chip out.
It looks like it is an option in the bios.

bios_29-copy.jpg

Additionally, the Asus board WiFi is usually on a small daughter board (identical to the mobile PCIe WiFi cards in fact) so it may be possible to remove the entire WiFi 6 card from the board.

Associate
It looks like it is an option in the bios.

Additionally, the Asus board WiFi is usually on a small daughter board (identical to the mobile PCIe WiFi cards in fact) so it may be possible to remove the entire WiFi 6 card from the board.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Would be nice if it can be disconnected without affecting operation, all I need now is a place that has the board in stock.

Associate
Thanks for the prompt reply. Would be nice if it can be disconnected without affecting operation, all I need now is a place that has the board in stock.
After removing the io cover and shield (as well as antenna fixings if required) it should be 1 or 2 screws to take off the wifigo shield and then pull to lift the card free. It’s a standard mini PCIe slot that is used by Asus, just like those used in laptops. Having it missing should have zero impact on the operation of the board, just as if you did the same with any PCIe device.
The only gotcha I can think of is that it may be PCIe 4 in which case the card used may have changed. Something that wouldn’t be apparent until it was visible after removing all the covers.

Associate
Xmas day beta bios, 3101

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-Crosshair-VIII-Dark-Hero/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Edit: Rolled back to 3001, had RAM stability issues I think and my previous PBO locked at 50c throttle was going max of 4.2ghz, mainly 3.4~3.9ghz instead of 4.6ghz which it was in 3001 while maintaining the same temperature.

RAM Stability issues were weird latency went up from 59ns to 63ns in AIDA Memory Test.

SOC Voltage, DRAM Voltage, CPU Voltage etc were all the same, unsure if maybe the BIOS auto settings on some other things such as LLC wasn't as aggressive causing the problems or what.

Last edited:
Associate
PC Parts I currently have after doing much research if anybody else interested
Ryzen 5900x (Pre order ETA 30/12)
Be Quiet Pure Base 500DX Case - White
NZXT Kraken Z63 280mm CPU Cooler
Crucial Ballistix RGB 32GB Kit - DDR4 3600 CL16
Samsung 980 PRO 250GB NVMe M.2 PCIe 4.0
Crucial BX500 2TB SSD
Western Digital Black - 4TB Sata HD
Corsair AX1000 PSU
Corsair Pro Braided Cable Kit + Comb Kit
DELL S2417DG QHD 1440P 165hz G-SYNC Monitor
Logitech G915 TKL Wireless Keyboard - White
Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless Mouse
Corsiar MM350 Pro XL Mouse Pad

Like most people I am still trying to buy an RTX 3080, I really like the feedback on the ASUS RTX 3080 TUFF OC, but know I be waiting till next year now.

I am thinking of picking up a cheaper Used GTX 1070 TI while I wait.

All now built but still waiting on my 5900x ETA 30/12 :mad:

Also now eyeing up the Alienware AW2721D Monitor, to go with an ASUS RTX 3080 ;)

Associate
Xmas day beta bios, 3101

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-Crosshair-VIII-Dark-Hero/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Edit: Rolled back to 3001, had RAM stability issues I think and my previous PBO locked at 50c throttle was going max of 4.2ghz, mainly 3.4~3.9ghz instead of 4.6ghz which it was in 3001 while maintaining the same temperature.

RAM Stability issues were weird latency went up from 59ns to 63ns in AIDA Memory Test.

SOC Voltage, DRAM Voltage, CPU Voltage etc were all the same, unsure if maybe the BIOS auto settings on some other things such as LLC wasn't as aggressive causing the problems or what.

I've rolled back too. Couldnt run my normal ram settings even after lowering it. Will wait for the next BIOS

Associate
Just tried to turn on the PC today and QCode 02 and stuck there, bios reflash, clear cmos, tried other ram, gpu reseat. Nothing working....

10/10 TV needed a restart, turns out PC was posting etc but since it wasn't outputting anything I was getting confused and got baited by the Q Codes.

Last edited:
Associate
Seen a few places suggest 02 could be solved with a new HDMI or DP cable.

I've got the board all set up now. It all seems pretty stable at stock settings with 5900X and G Skill 2x16GB 3600Mhz CL14 with DOCP enabled.

I've been trying to get my head around AMD overclocking. This is where I am at the moment, focusing on trying to squeeze as much single core boost at the moment.

Everything stock except:
Core VID 1.3v
CCD0 and CCD1 CCX ratios set at 45.50
DOC Switcher enabled with 45a threshold
Core voltage offset -0.075v
Precision Boost Override enabled, motherboard limits, 100mhz offset
Curve Optimiser set to -10 all core. (Any lower is unstable)

The result is PBO boosts up to 4.9Ghz. Temps are around 69 degrees during Cinebench. I'm still playing around with it but I'd like to get this up to 5ghz somehow.

With everything set to Auto, the peak voltage during single core loads is rather high - around 1.45/1.46v with a boost to 4.8Hz (as expected). When I set a manual core voltage of 1.3v which seems to be where people suggest starting with overclocking it seems to limit the single-core boost to around 4.5Ghz. The Dynamic OC Switcher then gets around this by switching between the Auto voltage and the 1.3v setting depending on the workload so I think I've figured out how that works.

Soldato
Any know how to keep power to the USB ports when the system is powered down? I want to use the usb ports for charging when the pc is powered off.

Last edited:
Associate
1usmus just announced Clock Tuner for Ryzen 2.0 and its coming with Hybrid OC which swaps between manual OC and PBO.

Guess anyone gets the option soon just not at a hardware level soon

Any know how to keep power to the USB ports when the system is powered down? I want to use the usb ports for charging when the pc is powered off.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1042220/

^ That should work.

Last edited:
Associate
Is bios 3003 considered to be the safest bet for people at the moment?

Thanks

If you want PBO Curve Optimization to tweak then yes, a few people who updated from 2601 to 3003 reverted back but I've had zero issues with 3003 but it was the first BIOS I used since getting the motherboard so I don't know if theres any performance difference between 2601 and 3003. The weird one to me is people saying Dynamic OC is broken in 3003 and even said they couldn't get it to work in 3101, I've had zero issues with Dynamic OC in either bios, it worked perfectly in both so I think they just didn't set the amp to swap between the two right but obviously unless talk to someone with that issue its just a guess.

Associate
Cheers.

I'm not too fussed about tweaking straight away but rather looking to get the most stable system whilst I transfer a lot of data from old to new drives. I've not had anything AMD for quite some time (XP 2600+) so it will no doubt take some time to familiarise myself with it as well.

I wasn't overly keen on all the reports of random reboots and noticed the new beta bios 3101 had new AGESA with it. From reading around it seems some people are reporting it to be far more stable and others are reporting similar issues to 3003/1.

Hopefully 3003 is stable enough without much tinkering.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom