The Tesla Thread

Soldato
See I don’t get this preheating to get better efficiency either, you can’t then purely look at the consumption for the road event and ignore the Wh consumed heating it up pre trip.

I’m trying to drive mine slightly efficiently at times... if only to protect my licence!

Soldato
I would normally agree but he's on 500Wh/mi. In a Tesla. That's really high energy usage. Unless I was cruising over 80mph I never saw it that bad.

It has to be something to do with heating the car up on the remote and then driving it.

Not really, I've logged all my drives since day 0 and sorted by efficiency all my lowest drives are short, cold trips. My lowest (or highest depending on your perspective!) is 565 for a 1.6 mile trip when it was 6c. I doubt I prewarmed.

My best efficiency is 86 but another short drive so both at risk of being inaccurate. My best for an over 20 minute drive is 136.

I agree there's not too much point worrying about efficiency, but it kinda comes with the territory of Tesla doesn't it. It's like telling someone who's just bought a 3090 or 5950X not to pay attention to benchmarks and temps.

Associate
Hi all,
What a debate have I started! ;)

To clarify, I am more than happy to live with this kind of efficiency.
The cost itself is negligible when compared to my previous low 20's mpg and life's too short to worry about a few miles of range.

I was asking more on the side of - is there something likely wrong with my car so that I can book a service centre visit, but so far it sounds like it is just my driving style.

What a beast of a car though - and the panel gaps seem fine too! :D

Soldato
I’m not sure anything of his post suggested Manchester to London...

He’s had it 5 days.

So? In the first week I had mine I went from Manchester to Frankfurt and back. The point I was making was simply that if you drive to 500Wh/mi you’ll only get 150 miles range out of a M3 LR. And that’s not really the point of a car whose name is Long Range.

Soldato
Waaa waa it’s the Tesla police. :p:D

It’s was a joke. No car is, some are just much better. Muggles tend to complain about cars, only the Tesla elite suck it up as they are beta testers for something special.

PS. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/en.pingwest.com/amp/a/8154

So? In the first week I had mine I went from Manchester to Frankfurt and back. The point I was making was simply that if you drive to 500Wh/mi you’ll only get 150 miles range out of a M3 LR. And that’s not really the point of a car whose name is Long Range.

It’s called context.

Soldato
See I don’t get this preheating to get better efficiency either, you can’t then purely look at the consumption for the road event and ignore the Wh consumed heating it up pre trip.

I’m trying to drive mine slightly efficiently at times... if only to protect my licence!

Because it’s about explaining why his calculated economy is so bad. If, as is likely, he’s using 3-5% of his battery capacity to heat the car that’s equivalent to driving 12-20 miles. If, at the same time he drives 12-15 miles, then his efficiency is quite literally halved hence 250WH/mi becomes 500 Wh/mi. If this is the reason he’s seeing the high energy consumption figures then by pre-heating he will normalise his efficiency numbers.

Soldato
Is that the calculation the car does then?

Like I said 5 days in (including xmas!) isn’t enough to baseline nor would that sort of “corruption” be apparent on a longer trip.

not really sure why we are spending valuable time hypothesising this. Let us know how you are getting on in a fortnight :)

Soldato
Is that the calculation the car does then?

Like I said 5 days in (including xmas!) isn’t enough to baseline nor would that sort of “corruption” be apparent on a longer trip.

not really sure why we are spending valuable time hypothesising this. Let us know how you are getting on in a fortnight :)

The car divides the amount of charge it had at the beginning of the drive-the amount of charge it has now divided by the number of miles driven on the trip. So yes, the more miles you drive the less the effect of heating is seen in the efficiency figures.

Soldato
So preconditioning is included in the gross trip usage. Neat.

It is on all electric cars as far as I’m aware. Unless you’re plugged in. Because then it pretty much keeps up with the battery drain.

The impact can be enormous. This video is pretty extreme, and I certainly would just skip to the end but you get the idea because it’s literally just watching ice melt.

Soldato
Yuck - Not liking the latest update at all...

The UI has completely changed.

Lot of wasted screen space now on the right, Speedo is WAY smaller to view - not impressed with it at all. Don't rush to update!

Associate
A quick question for the Teslamate users...

I've tried following this tutorial ( on Windows ): https://tslaspot.com/teslamate-setup/
Everything goes well, until I hit the following command: docker-compose up -d

That's when I get the following error:

ERROR: yaml.scanner.ScannerError: mapping values are not allowed here
in "./docker-compose.yml", line 5, column 10

Any ideas anyone? It's all black magic to me...

Back
Top Bottom