LG CX (C10) OLED 2020 Thread

Soldato
I’m struggling with audio delay too on my Bx55 can correct. It but never really sure if I have and it prevents me using with a Soundbar as the delay is present on the optical output so you end up with an echo. Bit annoying really! Hopefully firmware updates to fix?!?

Soldato
Is anyone using their LG CX with the Sony DN1080 AVR?

If so can you comment on the ARC / eARC? Is it stable and working for you?

I have both and am having regular audio drop outs and handshake issues using ARC.

Tried different cables, CEC settings, firmware updates and all the usual stuff.

Just hoping someone can tell me that it works for them in which case I'm going to start suspecting a faulty unit but until then I can't rule out ARC designs on the two the units being fundamentally incompatible with each other.

@HazardO Hi are you using ARC on your Sony Dn1080?

Soldato
@Nazbit I have my Apple TV, virgin media, consoles and 4k BR player all plugged into the amp so rarely use ARC/eARC as I'm not really using the tuner or streaming apps on the TV itself. ARC/eARC is enabled though so when I have used the TV's tuner it appeared to work. I also have overkill on the HDMI cable front (2.1 8K/60Hz 4K/120Hz). I assume you've firmware updated everything? Edit: yes you have apparently I should read before replying..

The only gripe I've got at the moment is the apple TV box will turn the amp off when it turns itself off which is a pain if I'm using another source at the time

Commissario
Is it better to go hdmi/arc or optical for the soundbar? I’ve tried both and not sure there’s much of a difference, other than both powering on/off at the same time and both remotes working for the volume.

Soldato
ARC gives you the ability to control the sound bar’s power and volume with the tv remote, but in my experience ARC is implemented differently by every manufacturer and is flakey at best. You might find you have to switch to using optical for better long term reliability.

Audio-wise there is no difference.

Associate
Is it better to go hdmi/arc or optical for the soundbar? I’ve tried both and not sure there’s much of a difference, other than both powering on/off at the same time and both remotes working for the volume.

I don't believe that optical supports the ne hi def audio codecs like Atmos which may not matter depending on what your sound bar supports

Associate
Just jumping onto this, the LGcx 48" is on my watch list but cannot believe that it's nearly £300 more than then 55"!. I heard its something to do with the manufacturing costs but its mental.

Anyone have any idea when 48" oleds ie the LG will start reducing in price as so far it's still silly money :(

Associate
Hi there, sorry to steal the topic away somewhat but I felt like posting in here instead of starting a new thread.

I’m looking at purchasing a LG GX 65, and they’re currently on offer at £2299. I was wondering if anyone knows if they’re likely to drop further in the January sales? Or is that even a thing nowadays.

Soldato
Just got my 55CX up on the wall....terrifying!

Lovely slim mount though, used the Vogels 405 Extra Thin. Has little legs that pop down so you can prop it tilted up so you can get at the ports easily.

I haz 4090!
Don
I think I'm going to cave in and buy one of these - I have a question though that I'm hoping you lucky owners can help me with before I buy one. It will be going in the nerd room and connected to my PC via HDMI (I use my PC like a console half of the time). Now, I will also have a Sonos Beam plugged into the telly, as I do now (currently have a Samsung KS7500), but currently my existing TV only presents itself as a stereo receiver, so I lose out on a lot of the sound quality I'd normally get from the Beam as it only gets two channels sent to it.

Does anyone have a similar setup already and can check in Windows to see if it shows as a 5.1 receiver, and not just stereo like I get currently?

Associate
I think I'm going to cave in and buy one of these - I have a question though that I'm hoping you lucky owners can help me with before I buy one. It will be going in the nerd room and connected to my PC via HDMI (I use my PC like a console half of the time). Now, I will also have a Sonos Beam plugged into the telly, as I do now (currently have a Samsung KS7500), but currently my existing TV only presents itself as a stereo receiver, so I lose out on a lot of the sound quality I'd normally get from the Beam as it only gets two channels sent to it.

Does anyone have a similar setup already and can check in Windows to see if it shows as a 5.1 receiver, and not just stereo like I get currently?

My friend has a Sonos soundbar and uses eArc and says it's perfect if that helps. Not sure on the 5m1 but if your system supports eArc or arc you should be good

Soldato
Is anyone using their LG CX with the Sony DN1080 AVR?

If so can you comment on the ARC / eARC? Is it stable and working for you?

I have both and am having regular audio drop outs and handshake issues using ARC.

Tried different cables, CEC settings, firmware updates and all the usual stuff.

Just hoping someone can tell me that it works for them in which case I'm going to start suspecting a faulty unit but until then I can't rule out ARC designs on the two the units being fundamentally incompatible with each other.

@HazardO Hi are you using ARC on your Sony Dn1080?

I do not have the CX, but do have the C9 and the DN1080. With latest firmware (there was a firmware earlier in year for the AVR) on both works perfect with eARC. I say eARC as from my PC I am able to send LPCM which is eARC only through the TV to the AVR no issue. I have the AVR hidden away now days as it turns on and off with the TV fine, volume control from magic remote and everything connects into my TV the via eARC link to the AVR. I know its not CX I have, but would not have thought, aside from DTS, the CX has gone backwards.

Soldato

Using eARC just set the TV audio to pass through and you should get 5.1, Atmos etc

Soldato
The 77'' OLED CX & GX for gaming and home cinema hasn't worked out for me.
The image still feels too small. Hopefully they release an affordable <£10k 90'' OLED at some point. Until then, I'll go with projector for the home cinema/gaming room and smack a 77'' OLED into the kitchen where there is loads of ambient light.

Its sad as now I have to buy a JVC projector in the next 12 months.. which is going to cost a lot of money.

Soldato
I think the best reason to hold out for 2021 refresh may be price, im of the understanding that they have moved to a completely new process that is set to reduce the cost of smaller and bigger panels substantially. Thus we might get a much more fairly priced 48 as im after it as a monitor right now.

The reason to hold off is so that you can get a HDMI 2.1 TV from Sony or Panasonic who have much better motion and picture processing. I found LG's motion really bad for 24p content.

The other reason is the 1000nit+ panels which are likely to land. We haven't had a nit increase for a couple of years re: OLED so here it is.
The other reason is 83'' panel rumour which will trickle down lower prices ; although I'm not confident in this rumour personally as its only been reported by one source.
The other reason is for a bug-free experience of the HDMI 2.1 features which all seem to be fairly standardised now (e.g. the gamma issue for LG OLEDs)
Also DTS might make a comeback on LG sets after the backlash they received which makes sense given AVRs are only providing one HDMI 2.1 port so we need DTS EARC for multiple HDMI 2.1 devices.
TV Catchup apps will also make a return to LG sets for 2021 (LG themselves confirmed it last year). Negotiations went wrong last year for 2020 which is ashame.

Also this year in the 77'' range, QA has been abysmal for LG sets. I myself have gone through 3 77'' panels which were not fit for the £5000 price tag.

Associate
Just jumping onto this, the LGcx 48" is on my watch list but cannot believe that it's nearly £300 more than then 55"!. I heard its something to do with the manufacturing costs but its mental.

The reason why the 48inch is more expensive then the 55inch is because they have to cut it from 2500mm x 2200mm glass panel you can get 6x 55inch oled tvs from the same glass cut with little waste, but to get 48inch you can only get 2x 77inch and 2x 48inch from the same glass cut with more waste.

The other reason is the 1000nit+ panels which are likely to land.

We don't need to have 1000nits in OLED 800nits is too high now in OLEDs and they was meant to be used in low light rooms not bright sun lit rooms;) having the brightness too high might cause a burn-in

Last edited:
Caporegime
TV Catchup apps will also make a return to LG sets for 2021 (LG themselves confirmed it last year). Negotiations went wrong last year for 2020 which is ashame.

They weren't initially, but they're now all on the 2020 sets and have been for a while.

ARC gives you the ability to control the sound bar’s power and volume with the tv remote, but in my experience ARC is implemented differently by every manufacturer and is flakey at best. You might find you have to switch to using optical for better long term reliability.

Audio-wise there is no difference.

If we're definitely taking ARC rather that eARC, I believe the only notable difference (in SQ terms) is that optical doesn't support DD+ whereas ARC does.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom