Road Cycling

Soldato
Got my maintenance order in. Couple of 105 cassettes (turbo and road) a Red chain and some chamois cream.

Planning to wax my chains, for quieter running and cleaner on the turbo, and for hopefully less/easier upkeep and reduced wear overall.

I bought the molten speed wax to try and a small slow cooker. Not convinced by the DIY waxes, without any testing there are too many uncertainties, but I wasn’t springing for the new Silca wax or the UFO expensive stuff just yet.

Stock seems to be dwindling and Brexit uncertainty cutting off the German websites. I was holding out for a discount code but none seemed to appear and the cost was as cheap as I had seen since the start of Dec no change.

Prep of the chains before waxing is more important!
Degrease for 24 hours and then ultrasonic bath. Dry for 24 hours and then MSW in the cooker.

If you do it properly, you will be VERY impressed and never go back to cave man lubes ;)

Soldato
I wouldn't recommend you try it but it appears that the IPX7 rating of an elemnt Bolt is enough for it to survive a run through the washing machine :o

I did wonder what that clunking sound was :rolleyes:

Associate
Degrease for 24 hours and then ultrasonic bath. Dry for 24 hours and then MSW in the cooker.

If you do it properly, you will be VERY impressed and never go back to cave man lubes ;)

this. ultrasonic baths are one of my best purchases

Soldato

I have listened and read a lot. Mostly referencing cyclingtips website and Silca podcast.

Three bottles of white spirit and successive dunking/shaking of the bottle gives you a result which is 95-99% as good.

Introducing the ultrasonic can give better results but it does depend on the model and liquid used, and it then introduces a whole lot of new variables!

Noted on the drying. CRC haven’t processed yet and RM have lost my wax seemingly. Amazon managed to get me a slow cooker & thermometer next day though...

Soldato
Hahah the 1.5L ones are recommended for waxing just because you need less volume.

If you’re home making then a large quantity won’t cost as much as purchasing off the shelf so you’d get away with a bigger pot.

Mines a £15 one, probably one of cheapest bits of cycling equipment you’ll ever buy unfortunately! :o

Permabanned
Given a Rapha voucher for Christmas so thinking of getting one of the more affordable jackets with it.

Anyone have experience and recommendation of the Core Rain Jacket II, Commuter, and Lightweight Commuter jackets at all?

Would mostly be used as a pack able for changing weather conditions rather than going out when it's already raining if that makes a difference. Thinking the Lightweight or the Core Rain will be best options for this?

Soldato
Can thoroughly recommend the board game Flamme Rouge! Got it for Christmas and the family have played it every day since. It’s quick to play and easy to get the hang of plus it does a go’s job of mimicking real life racing tactics

Soldato
Can thoroughly recommend the board game Flamme Rouge! Got it for Christmas and the family have played it every day since. It’s quick to play and easy to get the hang of plus it does a go’s job of mimicking real life racing tactics

I also got it for Christmas. Not opened it yet. Just me + gf stuck at home now, is it worth playing 2-player or best to wait until we can have visitors again?

Soldato
Can anyone tell me how a 'year in sport' from Strava would be completely out of line with someones profile statistics in terms of time spent, mileage, elevation etc? Or have they just used another persons screenshot :D

Back
Top Bottom