Death to 2020 (Netflix)

Soldato
thought it was naff, Hugh grant just is not funny in anything

He was the best thing in it, well him and Leslie Jones.

Found it pretty hit and miss overall. Was so heavily skewed on his own political leaning that it clearly just turned in a trump bashing exorcise and ignoring all the left-leaning things that could have been torn to shreds if it was a balanced piece. 5-10

Soldato
I loved the scientist. When they're showing random clips while he's talking and he just stops and asks "What is wrong with you people?" I burst out laughing.
Grant's Starkey impression was rather on-the-nose.

Soldato
Found it pretty hit and miss overall. Was so heavily skewed on his own political leaning that it clearly just turned in a trump bashing exorcise and ignoring all the left-leaning things that could have been torn to shreds if it was a balanced piece. 5-10

That was my feeling. Felt like they reused too many of the jokes from weekly wipe episodes and relied to heavily on callbacks and repeating material to fill in the 70 minute runtime.

Was quite disappointed given Brooker's usual pedigree.

Soldato
I do find it strange when people only see satire of one side, when clearly they are taking lots of shots at Biden too.

I suppose it could be down to the fact that Trump is the president and the one calling the shots but it felt to me like the show was making a point of criticising Trumps policies and actions. Whereas Biden only had a few jibes about the fact he's an old white man levelled at him whilst the same jokes were also made about Trump.

Let's wait and see what Brooker's show next year has to say about Biden and we can judge how even handed it is. I'll wager Joe gets off much more lightly than Donald .....

Time will tell ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom