• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The (Ada) Lovelace architecture Thread.

Soldato
It certainly looks like Hopper MCM is going to be just for servers at this point.

Full specs for AD102

Built on 5nm (Nvidia hasn't yet decided if Samsung or tsmc gets the contract). Nvidia is now well aware of how close AMD is in perf/watt so it appears they don't want to take a chance in 7nm and go straight to 5nm

GP Clusters: 12
TP Clusters: 72
SM Unit: 144 (18432 Cuda cores)
RT cores: 144
Tensor cores: 576

FP32 theoretical performance: 65tflops @ 1.8ghz

Quite the upgrade from GA102's 37tflops

But so far these specs look like Lovelace is a die shrunk Ampere. It seems like the core architecture layout is the same, but with the extra transistor budget of 5nm they're able to stuff an extra 80% on the die - still gonna be a big 500mm2 die so 5nm yields will need to be up to the task

Last edited:

P.B

P.B

Soldato
These numbers are becoming insane now. How many generations until we reach a consumer GPU capable of 100tflops?

Thats progress and I cant wait to upgrade from a 3090 to it hopefully a 40% uplift would be nice keep smashing games full settings at 4k 120Hz

Soldato
Future gpus generations are going to have to improve dramatically on the power requirements as I reckon with Ampere we are at the limit.

You can't expect your average PC to have a 1,000 watt PSU + for the next generation.

Soldato
1000w is what will separate the console peasants from the pc overlords!!!!

For me it's quite evident that performance has hit a wall now against power consumption. These GPU's are at the edge of acceptable power consumption if you ask me.

750w - 850w is probably as high as they can go for a consumer based gaming GPU.

I cannot see them making more powerful cards with increased power requirements. It would be crazy.

Soldato
You can't expect your average PC to have a 1,000 watt PSU + for the next generation.

Why not? I reckon most people don't care. Do you really care about the power consumption of your oven? Your vacuum cleaner? People don't game 24/7 so occasional elevated power usage isn't a big deal. The only time people will care is when they buy the PSU.

Now, noise is a different matter. There is indeed only so much cooling you can do in a 2 slot form factor while staying quiet, and the sooner we switch to larger cooling solutions the better. I have no problem with 3 or 4 slot cards.

Caporegime
I can see CPUs becoming the major bottleneck soon. With the current CPUs, there is a bottleneck at 1080P and even signs at 2160P, chuck in a beast of a card and that 4K game is now held back because of the CPU.

Permabanned
I can see CPUs becoming the major bottleneck soon. With the current CPUs, there is a bottleneck at 1080P and even signs at 2160P, chuck in a beast of a card and that 4K game is now held back because of the CPU.

Well DDR5 and perhaps a RISC chip on the GPU should help with that. Wasn't that evil company looking to buy a RISC manufacturer?

Back
Top Bottom