**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
To be honest, I usually see far more rain in the Lakes and N Wales than I do snow!
I've got Pilot Sport 3 at the moment, they were on when I bought the car. I was going to get PS4 but I've had Goodyears previously and saw bad things about the PS4 wearing fast.

Soldato
The only downside with having winter tyres or all seasons (of which I have at the moment) should you get stuck due to the conditions it'll be because of the other drivers and their cars, stuck with summer tyres. So if the traffic snarls up, you're still held up regardless if you could technically get past and be on your way. :( But being in the North I think the pro's for all seasons are also the fact that below around 7-8 degrees the regular summer tyre compound hardens so you lose grip against the road surface. And they perform fine in the dry and wet conditions. Not had any scary moments in my car (200PS). I'm glad I tried them. Although anything would be better than the terrible Bridgestone Turanza T001's that the car came with.

Associate
So first real snow event/ice today and have to say RWD is not fun :eek: got stuck a few times, and struggled going up hills. Not many gritters around here.

Currently have Potenza S001 255/40Z18 on the rear and 225 on the front.

Worth running winter tyres? If so any recommendations:)

Soldato
I worked in a multinational office in Hereford about 20 years ago and one of the very senior managers was bitching like crazy that his RWD BMW was terrible in the snow. And my very bright German colleague said “You need winter tyres”. And there was much scoffing until he said BMW, Porsche and Mercedes are all based in southern Germany where is snows a lot every year and people buy these cars and run them all year round and have no problems with them. Because they run winter tyres. Bear in mind that in Germany they don’t even grit the roads. Winter tyres are miraculous. Especially with quattro.

Associate
I worked in a multinational office in Hereford about 20 years ago and one of the very senior managers was bitching like crazy that his RWD BMW was terrible in the snow. And my very bright German colleague said “You need winter tyres”. And there was much scoffing until he said BMW, Porsche and Mercedes are all based in southern Germany where is snows a lot every year and people buy these cars and run them all year round and have no problems with them. Because they run winter tyres. Bear in mind that in Germany they don’t even grit the roads. Winter tyres are miraculous. Especially with quattro.

I can see why, may have to fill the boot with sand too :D will report back with what I bought.

Associate
Any advice welcome on the following: Seat Ateca 4Drive 190PS currently fitted with 225/50/18 but also seems that many have 215/50/18.

I'm looking to put on some all seasons but there's limited variety in 225/50/18 a little more in 215/50/18 but a lot more in 235/45/18. Looking at the tyre size comparison, I think 235/45/18 falls closely inline with 215/50/18 if not a little smaller in the diameter. Would I run into any trouble with these?

Ideally looking to try get either Goodyear Vector 4seasons Gen3, Bridgestone Weather Control A005 or Hankook Kinergy 4S2

Soldato
Any advice welcome on the following: Seat Ateca 4Drive 190PS currently fitted with 225/50/18 but also seems that many have 215/50/18.

I'm looking to put on some all seasons but there's limited variety in 225/50/18 a little more in 215/50/18 but a lot more in 235/45/18. Looking at the tyre size comparison, I think 235/45/18 falls closely inline with 215/50/18 if not a little smaller in the diameter. Would I run into any trouble with these?

Ideally looking to try get either Goodyear Vector 4seasons Gen3, Bridgestone Weather Control A005 or Hankook Kinergy 4S2

I'm sure you've seen the group test already going by your shortlist but here it is if you haven't:
https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2020-All-Season-Tyre-Market-Overview---32-Tyre-Braking-Test.htm

At the end of the day, the top few tyres in the group test will be much of a much and equally as good as each other. Find the best deal and just go for that.

The 215 50 18 is -1.5% in diameter and circumference of the 225/50/18 which isn't much. On camskill in the 215 50 18 you have:
Vredstein Quatrac Pro = £98
Conti All Season Contact = £125
Goodyear Vector 4 Season G3 = £146

If it were my money I'd be getting the Quatrac Pro and saving £200. We used to have the older Quatrac 5 on an old Berlingo and they were brilliant as an all year round tyre!

Associate
I'm sure you've seen the group test already going by your shortlist but here it is if you haven't:
https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2020-All-Season-Tyre-Market-Overview---32-Tyre-Braking-Test.htm

At the end of the day, the top few tyres in the group test will be much of a much and equally as good as each other. Find the best deal and just go for that.

The 215 50 18 is -1.5% in diameter and circumference of the 225/50/18 which isn't much. On camskill in the 215 50 18 you have:
Vredstein Quatrac Pro = £98
Conti All Season Contact = £125
Goodyear Vector 4 Season G3 = £146

If it were my money I'd be getting the Quatrac Pro and saving £200. We used to have the older Quatrac 5 on an old Berlingo and they were brilliant as an all year round tyre!

Thanks, yeah I've based my choices on Tyre Reviews video review: https://youtu.be/gHph1mDtCbQ which goes into more detail about each tyre. I'm sure the Vredstein are good for the money though, Oponeo do the 215/50/18 Goodyear Vector4 G3 for £109 which would be my preference based on previous experience with their winter and summers. I had some Goodyear winters on a M135i in the snow and ice which performed exceptionally.

Soldato
Have run Cross Climate+ for two years now. Have 22k on them and down to about 3, 3.5mm, would have changed before winter but mileage dropped right off this year and only driven 4-5k instead of 12k.

I have rotated them front to back every 6 months to even out the wear. Very pleased. Dry & wet grip excellent, snow grip good, no issues, currently we have snow & ice here, but have been avoiding driving. Last time it snowed properly my wife had no issues. I am under no illusion that they will be anything other than terrible on ice/black ice though.

Replaced Continental EcoContact 5 which were worn to 2mm after 20k. They were terrible in the wet, very poor feel and gave no wet cornering confidence.

Would I buy all seasons again, definitely.

Would I replace good brand summer tyres that weren’t worn out with all seasons no.

Underboss
Have run Cross Climate+ for two years now. Have 22k on them and down to about 3, 3.5mm, would have changed before winter but mileage dropped right off this year and only driven 4-5k instead of 12k.

I have rotated them front to back every 6 months to even out the wear. Very pleased. Dry & wet grip excellent, snow grip good, no issues, currently we have snow & ice here, but have been avoiding driving. Last time it snowed properly my wife had no issues. I am under no illusion that they will be anything other than terrible on ice/black ice though.

Replaced Continental EcoContact 5 which were worn to 2mm after 20k. They were terrible in the wet, very poor feel and gave no wet cornering confidence.

Would I buy all seasons again, definitely.

Would I replace good brand summer tyres that weren’t worn out with all seasons no.

+1

Thank you Berger, that backs up my posts that ive been trying to say about Cross Climate + tyres, i love mine, and would never go back to summer tyres, unless i stopped driving in winter etc

Man of Honour
I'm tempted to get a set of alloys and Cross Climates made up for my pickup - gonna see what kind of prices my main dealer would be talking for that - anyone have recommendation for places that do that?

Soldato
Thanks, yeah I've based my choices on Tyre Reviews video review: https://youtu.be/gHph1mDtCbQ which goes into more detail about each tyre. I'm sure the Vredstein are good for the money though, Oponeo do the 215/50/18 Goodyear Vector4 G3 for £109 which would be my preference based on previous experience with their winter and summers. I had some Goodyear winters on a M135i in the snow and ice which performed exceptionally.

Good find, the V4 G3 is the newest and seemingly best one out there these days. The X Climate Plus is old.in comparison.

We have the V4 G3 on our new old shed Berlingo and they are ace tyres. £40 each on the 14" rims mean an absolute bargain also.

Back
Top Bottom