Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming - BIOS withdrawn?

Associate
Same. I updated to 1401 and saw it has been removed with no explanation.
I have never had so many issues with a motherboard and its BIOS.
One version the usb 2.0 ports were messed up. Another version the pc would do random restarts. And on top of that don't update your Network adapter driver to the latest because it will start to disconnect under heavy load, so you have to stick to the one on the MB support page. This is due to a crap intel chip apparently.
So when I saw they pulled 1401 I though i'll go back to a previous version but now it's saying every version i try to rollback is not proper BIOS file and i'm stuck on 1401. And i have formatted my usb.
1401 seems stable to me though but I expected so much better from Asus and I'm tempted to just take a hit on the motherboard and buy a brand new MSI x570 Tomahawk.

Soldato
Been using 1401 and previous BIOS versions just fine. Haven't had any problems and board has been nice and solid. Even did the BIOS update without the CPU in and that worked a treat (for 5000 support). Thanks @Lustral I'll give 1601 a go soon.

EDIT: Not seeing 1601 listed.

Associate
Associate
I have this board stuck on bios 1401 which was installed a few weeks back, which has now been removed from the ASUS site similar to others. Problem is now as someone else mentioned the board will not let you install any other bios version - "is not proper BIOS file". Glad I found this thread as I thought I was going crazy! Have done plenty of bios updates so know about renaming file/fat32 and MBR etc. The issue is this bios has issues causing the pc to randomly restart or crash on reboot so im currently stuck up the creek. :/

**update

This issue with the BIOS is also confirmed if you attempt to update the bios via EZ update in Aisuite with the error message - "The model of the BIOS image doesn't match the BIOS ROM currently present. "

Not good Asus.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have this board stuck on bios 1401 which was installed a few weeks back, which has now been removed from the ASUS site similar to others. Problem is now as someone else mentioned the board will not let you install any other bios version - "is not proper BIOS file". Glad I found this thread as I thought I was going crazy! Have done plenty of bios updates so know about renaming file/fat32 and MBR etc. The issue is this bios has issues causing the pc to randomly restart or crash on reboot so im currently stuck up the creek. :/

**update

This issue with the BIOS is also confirmed if you attempt to update the bios via EZ update in Aisuite with the error message - "The model of the BIOS image doesn't match the BIOS ROM currently present. "

Not good Asus.

1401 is up still for "B550E Gaming" version (as well 1602 beta), maybe that board is fine with the BIOS and they found issues with the Asus B550F version?

Btw I never use any software in Windows to update BIOS, always better to do it in BIOS ie via USB.

Associate
1401 is up still for "B550E Gaming" version (as well 1602 beta), maybe that board is fine with the BIOS and they found issues with the Asus B550F version?

Btw I never use any software in Windows to update BIOS, always better to do it in BIOS ie via USB.

Yeah it makes sense. No I never update BIOS with software, always in bios with usb. But I was troubleshooting to find another way to get another bios version installed.

I have already processed a refund for the board and ordered a slightly different model (b550-a-strix) as I can't see a way around getting the bios updated any time soon. I've sent a support ticket to Asus but can't see them being too much help with such a specific issue. Don't have time to go back and forth with a support rep to be honest.

Associate
Just as an update to this for anyone who may have this issue going forwards ASUS support agreed this board needed to be replaced that was stuck on the 1401 BIOS.

Updating from inside BIOS, BIOS FLASHBACK and EZUPDATE inside windows all resulted in error codes about any bios file not being compatible.

Associate
Seems to still be there when going a different route -

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b550-f-gaming-model/helpdesk_bios/

Not sure whats going on with the BIOS versions with this board but there must be a number of people with issues as there's multiple BETA bios and at least two non beta bios versions that have been removed - 1401 and another but I forget the number.

I wonder how many are on 1401 that may struggle to change the version if they ever need to.

Soldato
Went to go see what's new today driver wise... page no longer exists! :(

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B550-F-GAMING/

Went back to the Motherboard main screen, set chipset filter to B-550... no B550-F even listed.

Someone must have messed up surely?
Its a total pain trying to find your model via their dropdown lists. I had to put the full model number + bios download into google instead which took me to the correct page. I also got caught out that I have the B550-F gaming wifi version which has a separate bios but was difficult to find. I was trying to flash the stand B550-F version before realising my error. It was giving me the "not a proper bios file message".

Soldato
Using 1801 here, no issues :)
My motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 with bios version 1801 seem unstable with corsair 16GB kits at 3200MHz but auto timing @ 22, 22, 23, 53, 76, 1T at 1.350v with AMD Ryzen 7 Pro 4750G @ stock base clock 3.6GHz turbo to 4.4GHz but it freeze from cold booting and awful bios frozen itself if I enabled D.O.C.P for lower timing it will freeze the bios with the fans stop moving and can't use keyboard or mouse. Sending everything back to get refunded (AMD bundles). Asus board are very unstable with everything on auto default but crashed and freeze issues lately. Just had enough.

Went back to my stable Intel i7 2700K Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H bios version F14 (been rock stable for 11 years)

I can see many complaints about AMD with Memory issues on many B550 and X570 board from Asus and Gigabyte. Not good enough. Cos they rush everything now and put crappy bug bios on it with no fixes.

Back
Top Bottom