• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 9 3900x Undervolt question

Soldato
I noticed my cpu temps and vcore were getting kind of high vcore was around 1.45 full load

I'm using a MSI B550 Gaming Carbon Wifi

so I went into the Bios picked Advanced offset mode +/- Ofc I picked minus, I put .1

I've
played Cold War and Wow no reboots or issues and temps now stay around 55c

Question I have is, and sorry for noob question is this ok to do I mean is my cpu safer like this or should i leave to Auto for the cpu settings

Man of Honour
If game stable is cool with you (pun intended), then I guess it's fine, undervolts have similar potential for instability as overclocking, just... in reverse.

Soldato
OP
The voltage shouldnt be at 1.45v under full load...at idle yes but should drop under load to about 1.25v

I set mine to 1.2v in bios and that keeps the temps down.

ok so i did some more digging in the bios, at auto vcore its set to 1.49

i had Hwarinfo64 running last night and even with the offset it was all over the place , I put it back on auto and it spiked on some cores at one point to 1.50

so now i have it on overide cpu core voltage set to 1.3 and now temps are low 40s and boost clock is 4.3 to occasionally 4.5 ,

it seems ok the only thing with overide is I was reading it will run at 1.3 all the time

Also 1.3 is well in spec for the 3900x right?

sorry for noob questions normal never mess around with overclocking settings

Soldato
Yes 1.3v stock vcore.

I should have said that i leave mine mining 24/7 so its running flat out all the time and at 1.2v it sits at low 70 most the time....the lower the voltage the better the temps but performance may drop off even though its still boosting ...check using cinebench

Soldato
I ran my 3900X with -0.1V for some time and it dropped the temps by ~10C. With newer BIOS updates it became unstable so I am using -0.0375 now and temps are ~10C higher but still ok.

Back
Top Bottom