• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ampere RTX 3090 Owners Thread

Associate
Always going to be an issue with the higher power custom cards with standard tri fan design i think, as above you need to up the case air flow to compensate.
At least with the FE a good chunk of the heat is being expelled out back of the case

Soldato
Hi guys

Currently using the geforce experience monitoring software on the what should gpu utilisation be at when playing games? Currently on apex hovers between 49%-80% is this normal?

Thought this card my max out my 360hz monitor but the game seems to be capped at 300fps

Associate
What undervolt/overclocks are you guys using with a 3090 FE (I know they are all different) Currenlty testing 800mv @ 1800mhz in Port royal. Just wondering what people have acheived.

Associate
What undervolt/overclocks are you guys using with a 3090 FE (I know they are all different) Currenlty testing 800mv @ 1800mhz in Port royal. Just wondering what people have acheived.

I watched this video:

It's a very good idea of what you can expect. I started out with his exact settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqpfYTi43TE&t=210s

I get 1875 Mhz @ 825mv. Been testing for ages and dropping the clocks every time there's instability.

I save about +50W power in most games and reduces temps by about 5C or more.

I should say I am using a Palit 3090 gaming OC though under water.

Stock clocks I get 2000Mhz and 2190 with OC but the card bios is so power limited it won't ever stay there.

So I pretty much don't lose any performance anyway and temps are about 45C under load.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I see elsewhere has the gigabyte blower 3090 in stock, a snip at £1854. Insane that a basic version of the card with a **** cooler is going for that much.

Associate
I installed a Rajintech Air Cooler on my old Palit 2080Ti it was whisper quiet with a couple of Noctua fans. Whilst the 3090FE is relatively quiet compared with a typical graphics card, it doesn't come close to the temps or noise levels of my old 2080Ti with the custom cooler.

Is the only way to get this closer to silence watercooling? I havn't watercooled before so what would be a good system / guide to look at and any particular bits when silence is the most important thing?

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I installed a Rajintech Air Cooler on my old Palit 2080Ti it was whisper quiet with a couple of Noctua fans. Whilst the 3090FE is relatively quiet compared with a typical graphics card, it doesn't come close to the temps or noise levels of my old 2080Ti with the custom cooler.

Is the only way to get this closer to silence watercooling? I havn't watercooled before so what would be a good system / guide to look at and any particular bits when silence is the most important thing?

Or use a bigger case. Rarely hear mine in my 750D, and then only if I’m trying to listen for it.

Soldato

Silence can depend a lot on case design as well. If you want ultimate silence then a lot can come from blocking unnecessary vents in the case and installing noise blocking foam on the inside. The FE designs being blower/AIB style is both a good and a bad thing. I always used to block unused I/O ports on AIB cards, you’d be surprised how much noise comes out the back of a card.

Watercooling is generally best as you can if you wanted run everything super quiet at the expense of slightly higher temps. Plus you can with a decent fan controller have case/rad fans turn off completely during idle.

The cheapest and easiest option is simply moving your case further away if you can. Mine is several meters away. Can’t be heard ever. Could easily run it all air cooled with the same result. But I enjoy the watercooling experience :p :cool:.

Last edited:
Soldato
When I am pressing the GPU I just stick the case fans on high. Its loud but not annoying as they are low noise branded case fans however it keeps the GPU under 60c for them periods. What cooler is on the Ryzen @Grim5 ?

360mm AIO on 5950x. 5950x runs at 60c in games and draws 120w

3090 runs at 70c in games and draws 400w in games

Associate
2-DD830-B7-6-E35-40-EE-B509-1287-EB165-FFE.jpg

Loving my card, tis a beast.

Delicious :D

Soldato
I upgraded my power supply today, from a 750w titanium to a corsair 1000 platinum.

On the 750w, my computer used to turn off if the power limit was more than about 106-107 on my founders edition, running sweetly now with 114%.

This is despite the actual power draw on full load always being less than 600 (i tried 2 different 750w psu's that i had and both had the same problem).

Just a fyi in case someone else is experiencing random shut downs.

Soldato
I upgraded my power supply today, from a 750w titanium to a corsair 1000 platinum.

On the 750w, my computer used to turn off if the power limit was more than about 106-107 on my founders edition, running sweetly now with 114%.

This is despite the actual power draw on full load always being less than 600 (i tried 2 different 750w psu's that i had and both had the same problem).

Just a fyi in case someone else is experiencing random shut downs.

it's not the constant power draw that's the problem, it's the spikes. Your software or wall plug may show 600w but it's not sensitive enough to show you that a 3090 can actually pull 550w by itself in short 1ms bursts which happens too fast for most to detect - to see these spikes you need to use PCAT software and tools

https://www.igorslab.de/en/nvidia-p...a-acquisition-from-frame-time-to-system-data/

Soldato
it's not the constant power draw that's the problem, it's the spikes. Your software or wall plug may show 600w but it's not sensitive enough to show you that a 3090 can actually pull 550w by itself in short 1ms bursts which happens too fast for most to detect - you see these spikes you need to use FCAT

Yeah i had read about the spikes, thats why i bought the new psu. It did only happen though with the power slider up.

Soldato
I watched this video:

It's a very good idea of what you can expect. I started out with his exact settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqpfYTi43TE&t=210s

I get 1875 Mhz @ 825mv. Been testing for ages and dropping the clocks every time there's instability.

I save about +50W power in most games and reduces temps by about 5C or more.

I should say I am using a Palit 3090 gaming OC though under water.

Stock clocks I get 2000Mhz and 2190 with OC but the card bios is so power limited it won't ever stay there.

So I pretty much don't lose any performance anyway and temps are about 45C under load.

It should stay @ 2000Mhz boost

Mine is supposed to OC boost to 1800. I always get 2000 boost so I don't need to overclock it.
It's about 50c on air. I do have a 120 fan blowing the back :)

Back
Top Bottom