• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Cyberpunk 2077 Ultra performance

Soldato
What display do you have?

On my oled, it does look good and like it is working initially but go to any dark/black area and you'll quickly see that something isn't quite right, I've tried messing with all my settings and it still doesn't fix/improve the dark areas part.

Also, this subreddit thread basically confirms it for PC too:

https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/kayprp/pc_hdr_isnt_broken_possible_fix/

I have the full array Q8 Samsung from 2018.

Windows is on, RGB 8.

Cyber punk set 1.4, 1500,100

TV is in game mode with game motion plus and freesync/gsync on.
Hdmi black level normal, backlight 45, contrast 45, colour 40, brightness 0, local dimming and contrast enhancement high, gamma st2084 at 0 and colour space native on latest firmware.

For me the dark areas are where the HDR on this game really look great better than any other game I have tried. The blacks are inky black (nothing like Vincent's video) and the highlights and colours are just so clean and vibrant.

Basically what I'm seeing is nothing like his video at all, this game made my TV come to life.

My friend has similar TV to mine and he also said it was the best HDR he had seen in a game. He is on stock firmware so using completely different settings.

Both of us big into HDR, he has pretty much every HDR 4k blue ray disk ever released and I have pretty much every HDR pc game ever released, I only play HDR games.

Something is clearly a miss here because mine is nothing like Vincent's, when I go from SDR to HDR everything gets better not worse.

(I'm playing with ultra ray tracing)

Soldato
Reported this for being off topic and disgusting!

Well, my Gregster,

Did you know there are 200 variety of sprouts? In the 70's & 80's the sprout was a bitter 'orrible baby cabbage.

Now,....... flippin' lush. Sweet tasting balls of love.

You'd love a whole bowl in butter n' chestnuts, though whizzbangs are still the same!

2021 for Gregster = try sprouts again.

Better tasting than your (2020 lockdown) hairstyle of 2020. :cool:

Soldato
Honestly, I prefer the RTX OFF version. The ON version looks weird.

For instance, I don't know why in the RTX ON version the tarmac road in the distance tends towards white? That's not something I've observed in real life.

Or why there's a white glow around the circular tower on the left hand side?

At first glance I thought the one on the right was RT ON since it looked better with more realistic shadows. It turns out the RT ON is the one on the left and that looks washed out. Not sure how anyone can claim RT ON looks better after this comparison :eek:

Permabanned
All you are giving is subjective opinion as a response. My point you keep ignoring is that what is playable for you or me, is unplayable for others.

That's because the people that are saying it's unplayable due to FPS were playing games at the same FPS not so long ago. Let's have a little realism here. I'm sure 8k 400Hz with a card to match would be wonderful but that doesn't make 1440p/60Hz unplayable.

Caporegime
Well, my Gregster,

Did you know there are 200 variety of sprouts? In the 70's & 80's the sprout was a bitter 'orrible baby cabbage.

Now,....... flippin' lush. Sweet tasting balls of love.

You'd love a whole bowl in butter n' chestnuts, though whizzbangs are still the same!

2021 for Gregster = try sprouts again.

Better tasting than your (2020 lockdown) hairstyle of 2020. :cool:
Haha, no chance lol

Associate
What settings are people using for their 3090 cards?
Everything to the max aside from DLSS at balanced. I flick back between Balanced and Quality as the former gives me an extra 10 frames. Get between 50 and 60 fps but the games feels pretty smooth all the time.

Some rough textures here and there and the game could use some polish (well a LOT of polish) but it looks fantastic at dawn/dusk and at night, especially in the middle of the city. Defintely looks next gen at times.

Soldato
The issue many like myself have is that it doesn't take RT to get those effects. CP2077 seems to rely on RT to get to the same level other games can manage without RT. Look at the water images I showed earier and tell me it looks as good as any other non-RT game like RDR2 or WDL with RT disabled..

A still image can be reproduced with rasterization, but when it comes to moving around the lighting effects would be pre-baked with a lot of guess work. With RT the devs simply program in a sun, with rays, and RT can do the rest. Most games look very very good, I've not said that they don't. However RT allows lighting effects to be a lot more flexible

I've taken a few random shots for comparison. Is there no way to display these within this forum?

You just upload them on that site and post the links, I don't think there is a way to embed them on the forums

At first glance I thought the one on the right was RT ON since it looked better with more realistic shadows. It turns out the RT ON is the one on the left and that looks washed out. Not sure how anyone can claim RT ON looks better after this comparison :eek:

It's just a particularly bright day by the looks of it. Remember RT makes the whole sky a light source. Look at the pic with RT off, yes it looks nice having dark shadows etc but that would not happen when the sun is out and the sky is bright. Look for example on the underside of the building's roof on the left... RT off and it's dark, but in real life (and with RT on) the underside of that roof is lit up.

This is why there is such a divide around RT lighting/shadowing... People have been used to playing games where shading is quite dark and everything out of direct light is heavily shaded etc, but that's not realistic at all. Yes it looks nice, but it's not how it would be in the real world. The road would not have all that dark shading on a bright sunny day. That shading is where an artist has drawn something that will look nice and impress, not something realistic. Where as the shading on the RT version will change depending on the brightness of the scene

Soldato
That's because the people that are saying it's unplayable due to FPS were playing games at the same FPS not so long ago. Let's have a little realism here. I'm sure 8k 400Hz with a card to match would be wonderful but that doesn't make 1440p/60Hz unplayable.

Why is it hard for you to understand that for some people less than 60 or even higher is unplayable? Their opinion counts for just as much as yours so for them RT is a feature that is counter productive.

Soldato
I'm using 1.4 1500 100.

The first number adjusts the gamma, if the blacks look too washed out then lower it down from 2.0.

I had a play about with the nits at 1500 all the reflections were bright and lots of light bouncing around. It looked more life-like on 1000. I prefer it on 1500 with the over the top effects.

Paper white looked best on 100, at stock for me. The highlights really stood out.

The other option would depend on what type of screen you have, some monitors can do one type of HDR and not the other.

Hi mate thanks for the reply I've got the predator X27 monitor.

Also whats the difference between the 2 types of hdr before you get into the config screen?

Soldato
A still image can be reproduced with rasterization, but when it comes to moving around the lighting effects would be pre-baked with a lot of guess work. With RT the devs simply program in a sun, with rays, and RT can do the rest. Most games look very very good, I've not said that they don't. However RT allows lighting effects to be a lot more flexible

Sorry for cutting most of your post but what I did cut I do agree with in regards to overuse of pre-baked shadows. But the point above kinda demonstrates where I see the problems with RT in CP2077. For me it is clear looking at the non-RT water effects (among others) in CP2077 that the devs simply cut lots of corners. There is no excuse for the non-RT water (even at max settings) to look that flat and lifeless. When devs use RT to give improved effects then fair enough, but don't do it at the expense of other more traditional effects. So when people use screenshots to show how great RT water looks in CP2077 their first question should be, "why does the non-RT water look worse than games from 5+ years ago?"

Please understand I am not talking about the implementation of RT, but the fact that without it the graphics just seem to have regressed from what is the norm. Is it because of ineptitude, lack of time, or more nefarious reasons to make RT look more impressive when you turn it on.

This is the ultra setting without RT, can anyone seriously describe that flat lifeless water as acceptable for a 2020 AAA game?
CP-2077-RT-on-v-Off-2.jpg

Compared to Witcher 3, which is over 5 years old from the same developers?
index.php

Associate
Sorry for cutting most of your post but what I did cut I do agree with in regards to overuse of pre-baked shadows. But the point above kinda demonstrates where I see the problems with RT in CP2077. For me it is clear looking at the non-RT water effects (among others) in CP2077 that the devs simply cut lots of corners.

Exactly they did the same with some shadows so look how great RT shadows look. Of course they look much better if the devs haven't spent enough time to polish the non RT version. Meanwhile no one tells us why the white painting to the left of the motorcycle disappeared in the RT shadow. :D
If it is so great how come it makes such a big error? That's right in front of your eyes. It looks fine in non RT version, it looks awful in RT version.

Associate
I also noticed that what we call RT reflections are a hoax. The static objects are all pre-baked and only the dynamic objects are reflected in real time. You can destroy a room and the reflection won't show you that, someone proved this with a footage from Control. I am not sure about CP but one can try to do some damage on a building reflected in a puddle or another surface. And you will see that the reflection is in fact pre-baked, you won't see the destruction in the reflection. Such a waste of resources for almost nothing to gain.

Soldato
Look here in that picture with RT on vs RT off. RT on looks awful :
zep4dtgaxkx51.jpg

RT On

RT Off

Both are horrible but with RT on the white paint is no longer visible.
The game is hobbled with stuff like this throughout the game. This is why RT isn't that important.

And did he purposely disable ambient occlusion and self shadowing just to see it on RT? Because it's noticeably missing in the RT OFF screenshot.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom