Is Skyrim worth playing or is there better now?

Associate
Seems to me, and I've not played it, but you need to heavily mod it to get the best out of it. Not just graphically but game fixing mods.

Soldato
Seems to me, and I've not played it, but you need to heavily mod it to get the best out of it. Not just graphically but game fixing mods.

I disagree. The newer enhanced version looks great and I haven’t come across any game breaking bugs in my past 5 play throughs.

I’d avoid modding the first time - there’s a chance you’ll miss lots of the game

Soldato
Skyrim is an amazing game, with a really good story. Very jealous that you get play it with fresh eyes - Recently finished it for about the forth time.

Soldato
Definitely pick it up (The Special Edition), I still play it from time to time despite hundreds of hours on it. Don't worry about modding it to begin with. The Special Edition looks "fine" still and I'd let yourself get stuck into the game before thinking of expanding it with mods. I rarely come across bugs in the game anymore.

Soldato
110% play it. With mods it's an incredible experience still the best of it's genre IMO.

I've actually just started playing it again on Series X in the lounge on a big OLED, the Special Edition feels and looks very much like what I was playing back on PC 2 or 3 years ago with 300+ mods.

Soldato
If you have never played it then I 100% advise that you do. One of the best games ever made.

It's better with mods mind, start slow as "vanilla and once you have played it a bit add in some mods to enhance the original experience.

Sound track is simply gorgeous and the world just sucks you into something that isn't here and right now that's better than it ever has been

Soldato
Modding was a complete rabbit hole until I got introduced to wabbajack. Modding is now incredibly easy and my latest playthrough has close to 900 mods.

My mod folder? Over 200gbs....

Man of Honour
Can't remember if they improved it in the special edition and/or whether it is compatible (same for the mods below) but IMO SkyUI w/ SKSE completely transforms the game - once I got it setup how I wanted it made so many gameplay aspects seamless and the UI vastly better and I really got into the game for awhile compared to my first attempt at playing it which I really didn't enjoy.

Annoyingly I lost my very fine tuned settings for grids and stuff - silly game resets ini files if you change GPU and I hadn't got my latest file backed up - I had the game stable drawing high detail right to the horizon including fixing Z-fighting and drawing high density, high quality trees right to the horizon as well which really enhanced the game.

I was quite conservative modding wise, but as a baseline I think these or something that accomplishes the same is essential along with ENB:

-HighResTexturePack (Official)
-Milky Way Galaxy Texture - makes the night time look 10x better.
-The Cartographers Map Markers
-SkyUI (requires SKSE - also with SKSE installed in steam you have to launch that to start the game rather than launching Skyrim as normal)
-HQ Snow texture (I did try some other snow mods but they were mostly over the top - planning on revisiting that at some point)
-A quality world map with roads (there are better ones but I think that is the best that is on the steam workshop)
-Pure Waters
-Rocks2K Special Edition
-Improved interior lighting (think you need to use one of the realistic lighting mods to make the most of this one but I'm using ENB instead at the moment)
-Immersive saturation boost

You can go on modding it endlessly but IMO especially for a first play through you don't want to go nuts and those address the basic inadequacies of the base game.

Probably not to everyone's tastes but I ended up with quite a moody, end of days, look/feel to the game:

foVIW7o.png

gmo6rmk.png

Last edited:

ne0

ne0

Associate
Skyrim is amazing and has the single best soundtrack of any game imho. Modding it is the way forward but be warned there are a ton of mods and it's very addictive once you start. I had over 200 at one point (no crashes!).

Caporegime
OP
My first mod last night was to get it in 3440 x 1440 resolution....:p

I’m currently fighting zombie skeletons to get the Dragonstone in Bleak Falls Barrow...:D

The special edition looks good to my eyes...

Soldato
this. Witcher 3 is an absolute yawn fest, I never got the fascination with it.

It's an amazing game. It depends what you want in a game though. I'd put Fallout and Skyrim as similar games but The Witcher is a different type. I'd recommend Witcher 3 to anyone - it's definitely up there for game of the decade.

Other games worth playing:

Red Dead Redemption 2
Horizon Zero Dawn
Control
Fallout 3 GOTY
Batman - Arkham Asylum (very rarely get these type of games on the PC)
Firewatch (just for the story)
Bioshock Remastered
Dead Space (again for the story)

M.

Back
Top Bottom