Creative G6 Vs Fiio K5 PRO

Soldato
What’s your primary use. Games or music?

I've had both and the G6 was good for games. But I really can’t stand creative stuff because of their drivers. K5 was better for music. Seems to have more power behind it. Wasn’t blown away though.

I am using a Topping a50 / E30 stack at the moment and it’s noticeably better than both. But it obviously does cost more so not a trait comparison.

if 7.1 isn’t something your interested in get the K5. Or keep checking for refurbed G6 on creatives site or the bay. They come up all the time for £65 or so and for that it’s a bargain. Even with the carp drivers.

Soldato
OP
What’s your primary use. Games or music?

I've had both and the G6 was good for games. But I really can’t stand creative stuff because of their drivers. K5 was better for music. Seems to have more power behind it. Wasn’t blown away though.

I am using a Topping a50 / E30 stack at the moment and it’s noticeably better than both. But it obviously does cost more so not a trait comparison.

if 7.1 isn’t something your interested in get the K5. Or keep checking for refurbed G6 on creatives site or the bay. They come up all the time for £65 or so and for that it’s a bargain. Even with the carp drivers.

Thanks for the reply.

I ordered the G6....

Then got 2000's Creative driver flashbacks and chickened out and got the K5 PRO.

Not bothered about "fake" 7.1 etc.

Will be pairing with DT990 PRO 250ohms.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have the SB G6 X. Coming from an Asus Xonar Essense ST its fantastic.
I wasnt expecting much and was expecting the drivers to be rubbish but its always just worked. Better than the Asus drivers and sound quality is on par the the Asus.
Microphone quality is better, Xonar always had a background recording humm for some reason

Associate
Too late as you've made your decision but suffice to say I don't think you can go wrong with either and the K5 Pro is a good buy.

Last month I took delivery of both as the G6 was discounted last month. The K5 Pro is definitely slightly cleaner and more powerful amp but there isn't a huge amount in it. The G6 is more versatile and more portable which works well for some setups. You can turn off the VSS and even run the G6 in direct mode. Both work well with the DT990 Pros.

I've not had a single driver issue with the G6 although I haven't tested the mic yet. My previous Soundblaster X7 was well supported (latest drivers this last summer, 5 years after it's launch) although it did have the odd minor irritation (i.e. 100% vol when plugged back into USB sometimes; was patched). Although with no mobile app support/feature you become reliant on connecting the G6 to the PC if using with other devices. And the driverless K5 Pro is easier in this regards.

Soldato
OP
Too late as you've made your decision but suffice to say I don't think you can go wrong with either and the K5 Pro is a good buy.

I have both in my posession.

Using the G6 in direct mode, not opened the K5 YET..... was about to return it.

Was actually on the verge on sending all back and getting a Topping L30/E30 stack.

I never understood what reviewers were on about when they mention "Bright" in relation to headphones. I understand now with the DT990, it is a more pure sound, I would compare it to a TV on high contrast, the details are sharper I find. Not sure it would be my preference for music, I prefer a little more "fun", HOWEVER, for gaming... the DT990 are a PERFECT gaming headphone IMO with a SUPERB soundstage.

Last edited:
Associate
I have both in my posession.

Using the G6 in direct mode, not opened the K5 YET..... was about to return it.

Was actually on the verge on sending all back and getting a Topping L30/E30 stack.

I never understood what reviewers were on about when they mention "Bright" in relation to headphones. I understand now with the DT990, it is a more pure sound, I would compare it to a TV on high contrast, the details are sharper I find. Not sure it would be my preference for music, I prefer a little more "fun", HOWEVER, for gaming... the DT990 are a PERFECT gaming headphone IMO with a SUPERB soundstage.

Oh you are going through a dilemma. Although an interesting one, certainly no wrong choice. I didn't consider the L30/E30 stack when I looked at the K5 Pro and maybe I should have although it's £80 more expensive.

Of the headphones I own and have owned (no where near as many as on this forum) I rate the DT990 Pros highly. Particularly for gaming. That said I have one favourite that I prefer; my old beat-up AKG K702's. I only recently re-soldered a loose wire in the right ear cup (after having repaired the elastic) and therefore they hadn't been in use for several months. But putting them back on recently and I've fallen in love with them again. They are slightly more raw than my AKG K712 Pros but they seem to be a tiny bit livelier in the games and music I've tried them on. Weird and probably just my ear size/preference/desire for neutral, but it's clear I love that AKG sound. If my K702's fall apart anymore it'll be hard not to resist buying some K701's.

Soldato
G6 & 702s here too, love them now i’ve created my own foam padding under the headband.
As above, G6 is certainly quite powerful. Sounds fantastic turned up using Dolby Atmos and the Atmos previews/tests

Soldato
The G6 is excellent, I was surprised at how well it measures too, even against much more expensive competition.

Here is the review with measurements https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...w-and-measurements-of-sound-blasterx-g6.7016/

My only complaint is that if you have any kind of signal processing on you get a delay on the side tone. Luckily I'm happy with straight stereo mode and no effects. I want side tone but couldn't live with the delay.

C64

C64

Soldato
Theres no reason not to just get the ae5 plus if your usage is always at the pc I got one to avoid any niggles with the g6

Soldato
OP
I misworded it should have said if all your use is through a pc

It is for PC use only, specifically headphones (not a headset).

I am wary of Creative drivers and have no interest in virtual surround.

To that end, the G6 drives demanding headphones very well and no need for bloated drivers in direct mode.

Back
Top Bottom