MSI X570 Tomahawk WiFi Bios Flash button, how to tell if it's worked?

Associate
Well it's not working.

Put it all together and getting debug light on VGA.

Have reseated my GPU and checked power cables but still getting a black screen.

Only think I haven't tried is another monitor cable, only got the one DP cable.

Can you do flash back with everything built? Really not looking forward to dismantling it.
sounds like a bad flash, are all the the fans spining at max speed once u turn it on ? if so it's definetly the flash.
I had to do 2nd flash with all the components in, it was no problem. Try 2.0 usb sticks, preferably sandisk and leave the mother board on for 10 mins after flashing light stop blinking.

Soldato
Using USB 2. Formatted to fat32, file renamed to MSI.ROM. Left for 20 mins after.

The fans do spin up on start up, but settle down like normal.

Will have to get a new flash drive tomorrow and try again, although it does look like it has flashed ok.

Just to add, did try resetting CMOS.

Soldato
Just tried flashing it with a new Sandisk USB2 drive, it went through the flashing ok but has not restarted this time and now have white light on CPU fault.

I have borrowed a different GPU and a HDMI cable off my brother to try later.

Take it i will have to power it down and reflash again (if it's safe to do this).

Associate
I tried six, seven different USB drives before I got it to work. Really hard to know if it did anything, and if so, what. An old 8 GB Kingston DataTraveler was successful.

Associate
I had mine delivered a week ago.

1) Prep flash drive first. Fat 32 like you said.
2) Ensure you unzip the BIOS file (very important) from the download and put it into the flash drive (not compressed)
3) rename the BIOS file to MSI.ROM
4) I connected the motherboard 12 pin and the cpu 8 pin power (you might not need the cpu one), i did not have a CPU installed or the GPU, just PSU and motherboard power connector.
5) Ensure flash drive is in the USB right by the flashback button, i put it in the bottom one
5) Pressed Bio flashback button, it should then go into flashing the BIOS, you can see if its working by a flashing LED either on the flash drive or at the back of the circuit where the flash drive is plugged into as there is a white led back there, give it around 30 seconds to see if it kicks in.

It took about 3-5 minutes to flash the BIOS/

I followed this link and it worked for me for the 5600x, i'd recommend the BIOS under compatability in the MSI support download center for the MSI Tomahawk X570

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE

Hope this helps

W

Soldato
Have put the other GPU in (GTX 1030) and it finally works.

Did get a message window saying the 5800X was not supported, but that could be my OS drive is from my old system so no AMD drivers installed, will probably do a fresh install anyway to remedy this.

I do hope it still works when i put the 3070 back in, was working perfectly on my old system.

Thanks to everyone for the help. :)

EDIT

Before i put the 3070 back in, do i have to alter any settings in bios for PCI-E 4 or just leave it on Auto?

Last edited:
Soldato
3070 back in and no display with VGA fault light.

Surely a 650w PSU should be enough for this build?

The back edge of GPU shroud does touch the chipset cooler and not sure if this would cause any problems.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have read that changing to PCI-E Gen 3 may work, not keen on doing this though.

Think the message about 5800X not being supported was from RealTemp as it was set to run at start up on my intel system and it doesn't work with this CPU.

What chipset drivers should i use? (AMD or MSI)

Soldato
Got the 3070 working.

Had to set PCI-E to Gen3, it was the only way i could get the motherboard to work with it. Luckily i could get another GPU to get into bios to sort this out, otherwise i would have been proper stuffed.

Sorry for all the rambling but felt i had to let others know in case they face the same problem.

Soldato
Have read that changing to PCI-E Gen 3 may work, not keen on doing this though.

Think the message about 5800X not being supported was from RealTemp as it was set to run at start up on my intel system and it doesn't work with this CPU.

What chipset drivers should i use? (AMD or MSI)
The amd chipset drivers from amd

Back
Top Bottom