Kingdom Come: Deliverance / Open-World RPG / Medieval History

Soldato
I spent about 5/6 hours in the starting area picking nettles and other herbs, and had around 200+ or even 300 (was quiet a while so don't remember exactly) just from picking and selling plants. And ahem.. some lockpicking too.. :p Also, as nands said, herb knowledge went up quiet well too !

One thing I was wondering about - the game seems to use a Skyrim-esque system whereby you level up the skills by practising them rather than by accumulating XP. I know there's a level cap, so is it possible, like it was in Skyrim (or was it Oblivion?), to totally gimp your build by reaching max level just through raising non-combat stats like herbalism so you're forever weak in battle? I seem to have levelled up just by increasing my herbalism and speech so far.

One thing I was wondering about - the game seems to use a Skyrim-esque system whereby you level up the skills by practising them rather than by accumulating XP. I know there's a level cap, so is it possible, like it was in Skyrim (or was it Oblivion?), to totally gimp your build by reaching max level just through raising non-combat stats like herbalism so you're forever weak in battle? I seem to have levelled up just by increasing my herbalism and speech so far.
No.

It is however possible to farm something too much and then get too strong as the point of the game is the struggle/climb.

You will really enjoy the fact you're so bad at fighting now, and when you reach a point that you can take down 2 well armoured guys, it's very satisfying.

Soldato
No.

It is however possible to farm something too much and then get too strong as the point of the game is the struggle/climb.

You will really enjoy the fact you're so bad at fighting now, and when you reach a point that you can take down 2 well armoured guys, it's very satisfying.

Cool. I was wondering if I needed to lay off raising herabalism anymore until I'd levelled fighting skills a bit, so that's good to know.

Soldato
Ok, so the combat in this is hard. Really hard. It feels quite sluggish from the player's perspective, yet enemy strikes feel like they come out quite quickly. I get that the game is going for some degree of realism in that in real life, weapons have significant weight and momentum and all that. It does make it hard to get right. The timing for blocks and dodges seems tricky too.

I remember the hand-to-hand combat in Mount & Blade taking me a good while to get to grips with and then it was fine, so I'm hoping the same will be true here. I've read up on some tips and guides, but still got my backside handed to me when I was challenged to a duel by that snot-nosed punk.

Been enjoying the game so far. It's quite slow and methodical and an interesting change of pace from most other RPGs. Looking forward to spending more time in it. Really hope the combat clicks soon, though!

I remember the hand-to-hand combat in Mount & Blade taking me a good while to get to grips with and then it was fine, so I'm hoping the same will be true here. I've read up on some tips and guides, but still got my backside handed to me when I was challenged to a duel by that snot-nosed punk

Rightly so. This is a good example of the save function also working, as you could win and could lose that and have 2 different results. Most people would take that as a loss and reload but the reality is, he should have kicked your ass. You're an untrained peasants boy. Why wouldn't he.

I can totally remember how you feel and felt the same way, almost giving up with the game as it felt unfairly hard, but stick with it, you will get better and when you finally do its extremely rewarding to look back and realise the difference.

Soldato
Rightly so. This is a good example of the save function also working, as you could win and could lose that and have 2 different results. Most people would take that as a loss and reload but the reality is, he should have kicked your ass. You're an untrained peasants boy. Why wouldn't he.

I can totally remember how you feel and felt the same way, almost giving up with the game as it felt unfairly hard, but stick with it, you will get better and when you finally do its extremely rewarding to look back and realise the difference.

Yeah, that was pretty much how I took it. I couldn't help thinking that I could have won if I was better at the game, but losing in this context didn't feel bad (I won at archery so I had that :)).

I have done a load of saving so far. Basically everytime I get the feeling "I really don't want to have to do again all that has happened since my last save." I've not really needed to reload though, as losing the odd fight doesn't feel too calamitous. It's pretty amazing so far, I have to say.

Soldato
Well, I've spent the last in-game week hunting, reading books, going on night-time crime sprees, picking flowers and brewing potions. Combat hasn't figured in it all since that ill-fated duel. My 15th Century experience has taken a remarkably peaceful turn...

Soldato
After another week with the game, time to acknowledge how excellent it is!

I'm now a seasoned mace-wielding warrior, and finding the combat now feels very satisfying and tactical (apart from some difficulties with sticky targeting in fights with multiple enemies).

There is great environment and atmosphere throughout this little world and I've had some really memorable moments with some well-written and well-acted quests and delightfully surprising encounters.

Highlights of the past couple of days are definitely:
Getting blotto with the priest in Uzhitz, having a brawl with the bailiff, waking up the whole town with the church bell (and standing in for him in church the next day due to his hangover)

Accidentally taking hallucinogens and tripping balls with some witches in the forest

Winning the first Rattay tourney and then getting a random encounter outside the city that turned out to be not so random as Pete tried to exact bloody revenge with an ambush for me

Soldato
Just started playing this seems a very good rpg, what gfx settings are you guys using? trying to run it 4k but around 50-60fps often without lowering gfx much seems texture/object detail doesn't tax fps much.

Seems it looks great still on high settings with all sliders maxed.

Which options tax the fps most in this? which worth keeping?

Soldato
Just started playing this seems a very good rpg, what gfx settings are you guys using? trying to run it 4k but around 50-60fps often without lowering gfx much seems texture/object detail doesn't tax fps much.

Seems it looks great still on high settings with all sliders maxed.

Which options tax the fps most in this? which worth keeping?

Last I've played I could lower the shaders and shadows to medium for a big jump in performance for minimal quality loss.

Permabanned
Haven't played since release. Would love another play through.

Has the DLC brought any new places to rob? A town or city would be nice, instead of these crappy hamlets.

Soldato
Last I've played I could lower the shaders and shadows to medium for a big jump in performance for minimal quality loss.

Just tried what you said, shadows and shaders medium rest very high hitting 50fps+ often now at 4K.

Had a crash to desktop first ever but heard the game can do that? anyone had any?

Also is it best to do all DLC when available?

Soldato
Just tried what you said, shadows and shaders medium rest very high hitting 50fps+ often now at 4K.

Had a crash to desktop first ever but heard the game can do that? anyone had any?

Also is it best to do all DLC when available?

I played through around 90 hours including two of the DLCs and didn't have any crashes (I had two side quests break and become uncompletable, but that was it with the bugs for me).

I think you can (and maybe should) play through A Woman's Lot near the start of the game (I can't be sure as that was the DLC I was missing), but Band and Amorous Adventures both have some content that it is quite beneficial to be a bit levelled up for (quite a lot of fighting in one and sneaking and speech in the other). I played the latter two about half to two-thirds of the way through the main story and that felt like a good way to do it.

Soldato
It is a great game but be aware that at the beginning you will have trouble. Not sure how much you know about the game but consider it being close to real life, you learning something new and it will take time. :p

Thanks!

Indeed I don't know much but have heard it requires a different approach and a fair bit of patients but I think I'm up for that, sounds different to most games which can work in its favour

Back
Top Bottom