Linux and DAW software recommendations please

Associate
Hi, I've recently got a MIDI keyboard and have been using it with Ableton Lite on Windows 10. This has kept me tied to my desktop PC as the MIDI keyboard produces no sound of its own. It occurred to me that I could repurpose an old Lenovo X200 to free me from the desktop.

So, 1) what would be a good Linux for an old laptop. A good distro for creative stuff would be great.
2) any recommendations for DAW software as Ableton isn't available on Linux. I'm looking at LMMS although I've also heard that Ardour is also good.
3) apart from the DAW software are there other programmes and utilities good for learning and/or producing music?

N.B. preference for software that also runs on Windows, but not essential
Thanks in advance

Associate
Does it need to be linux or even a laptop ? and just how advanced are you looking to get?

Something like Roland Zenbeats is free(*ish) cross platform (except linux!) and would work on a mobile device as small as a phone. I've messed about with it plugging my keyboard midi output into a PC as well as ipad.

In theory you could have the keyboard plugged into your phone, and listen to the output on your headphones as you play. Not being tied to even a laptop.

* there are tiers of pricing, but the free version can do a ton of stuff.

Associate
OP
In theory you could have the keyboard plugged into your phone, and listen to the output on your headphones as you play. Not being tied to even a laptop.
Wow, that's a great idea. Physically how would you connect a MIDI keyboard to say an Android phone? Would it have to be a phone with a USB-C connection?

Associate
On the iPad, I had a lightning port to usb dongle, then midi to usb cable plugged into it, then the midi connector into the keyboard. Quite cheap iirc.

Probably similar for Android, just needing a dongle to change normal usb connector to the size of port on your phone.

Some keyboards even have Bluetooth midi as well.

Associate
OP
Probably similar for Android, just needing a dongle to change normal usb connector to the size of port on your phone.

Okay, looks like a physical connection from usb to my Android phone is easy enough - at least for file transfer
https://ostoday.org/android/how-to-connect-usb-to-android-phone.html

"... then you can connect USB devices such as keyboards, game controllers or a USB flash drive to your device
Source: https://ostoday.org/android/how-to-connect-usb-to-android-phone.html" - obviously 'keyboard' here means for typing/data input but might work with a midi keyboard.

Definitely worth a try. Thanks Donnie.

Soldato
Not sure how it would run on your laptop but you could try Bitwig Studio trial, that has a linux version and I think it was some old Ableton devs who created it.

Also Android isnt that great for music production, ios is much better.

Associate
My preferred Linux DAW is Harrison's Mixbus (it's a modified version of Ardour) but Reaper's very good and (Tracktion) Waveform works pretty well on Linux too. Also, DaVinci Resolve can be used for free on Linux and has a DAW component (Fairlight) built-in.

Associate
Ardour is a good free option, if you're used to Ableton you can either run it through Wine which works pretty well or have a look at Bitwig. Bitwig is kind of a Ableton/Linear sequence cross made by some ex-Ableton staff. Native Linux version too.

Associate
OP
Ardour is a good free option, if you're used to Ableton you can either run it through Wine which works pretty well or have a look at Bitwig. Bitwig is kind of a Ableton/Linear sequence cross made by some ex-Ableton staff. Native Linux version too.
Thanks. All good suggestions. I forgot about Wine; good to hear it works pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom