LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Associate
Thats a great price, I hope you went for it
Picked it up this morning, 830 I got it for in the end. Really had my heart set on the 48 cx but figured the price on this was too good to pass. The TV was an insurance replacement but the family I bought it off had already replaced it, so just wanted shot.

I haz 4090!
Don
Direct copy and paste from me, I didn't realise there was a separate thread for the 48", and you guys in here may be better placed to help me seeing as you all have it connected to your PCs :D

I think I'm going to cave in and buy one of these - I have a question though that I'm hoping you lucky owners can help me with before I buy one. It will be going in the nerd room and connected to my PC via HDMI (I use my PC like a console half of the time). Now, I will also have a Sonos Beam plugged into the telly, as I do now (currently have a Samsung KS7500), but currently my existing TV only presents itself as a stereo receiver, so I lose out on a lot of the sound quality I'd normally get from the Beam as it only gets two channels sent to it.

Does anyone have a similar setup already and can check in Windows to see if it shows as a 5.1 receiver, and not just stereo like I get currently?

I haz 4090!
Don
I have a Sonos Beam and a C9.Where do you want the hdmi cable plugging from the beam, in the PC? Not sure what you are asking

Yeah sorry, I read my post back and it's a bit scatterbrained - long week!

The PC will plug into the TV via HDMI for picture and sound, and the Beam will connect from the TV via HDMI ARC. It's fine for general viewing - Amazon / Netflix etc all get a 5.1 signal sent through to them from a firestick/Shield, but the PC won't pass 5.1 through to the TV (and therefore the Beam), so the sound isn't as good as it could be if it was receiving a 5.1 signal.

One way to tell for sure is to set your default sound device in Windows to be the TV, then right click on the speaker icon in the system tray. There'll be a "speaker setup" option. Does it allow you to pick 5.1/7.1, or only stereo?

I haz 4090!
Don
Ooooh! So you can tick 5.1 and it works fine? This is the same cabling arrangement as I have too? PC into TV and then TV via arc to Beam?

You might just have cost me £1300 haha :D

I haz 4090!
Don
Brilliant, thanks for that. You may want to try setting it to 5.1 yourself. The beam needs a 5.1 signal to use all the speakers in it, it sounds a bit tosh if it's only getting two channels.

Associate
AB0DM5L.jpg

Managed to finally set it up tonight and I must say that I'm well happy with it. Granted it looks a bit daft at the minute but my plan is to wall mount it next week, tilted about 20 degrees, with my 32 inch Gigabyte placed directly below it. Will only be gaming on it using a gamepad sat back a tad... should/hopefully be fine. :)

Permabanned
guys wanted to ask you what you would choose.

asus ek 3090 or gigabyte auros 3090 waterforce?

Gigabyte Auros has 2x hdmi 2.1 so i think i can set one up for game settings "pc mode" on the CX48 and the other HDMI 2.1 none pc mode so the options would be unlock like trumotion to watch movies and just select which hdmi input i use, also the auros has a little bit higher clock speed then its cheaper also price wise

Asus EK 3090 the only thing is my motherboard is also a asus so for the themed setup

help me decide pleasse

Soldato
This tv is brilliant but it just does not like my Power color Red Devil Radeon 5700XT. Having done a full clean installation of Windows I find that it will only do 4K and 1440p @120hz in 8 bit 420. However if I do said resolutions @ 60hz I get the whole lot 444 and 10bpc and HDR. I guess it's bandwidth limitations of HDMI 2.0 of card. But my old Samsung Q70R would do 1440p at 120hz and hdr without a problem. I am in the market for a 3080 or 6800XT so hopefully a HDMI 2.1 card will do the trick.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
AB0DM5L.jpg

Managed to finally set it up tonight and I must say that I'm well happy with it. Granted it looks a bit daft at the minute but my plan is to wall mount it next week, tilted about 20 degrees, with my 32 inch Gigabyte placed directly below it. Will only be gaming on it using a gamepad sat back a tad... should/hopefully be fine. :)

Wall mounting is awesome, you get your full desk back and ditch that clumsy oversized deep LG stand and save those precious inches, still reckon a deep desk is a good idea but not like they have ones that go back 1.2 or 1.5 metres deep probably needs a custom build.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Trumotion is disabled when the HDMI input is set to PC. Most of the settings you would normally turn off for an accurate picture, are by default, disabled on this mode.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/hfan8y/lg_cx_pc_mode_and_game_mode/

TLDR

"The downside I see to PC mode is many picture features are disabled/unavailable. Things like smooth gradation, super resolution, noise reduction, MPEG reduction, frame interpolation and such, though many of those features are things purists keep off and so do I. The only mode I miss is the RealCinema (5:5 pull down) for proper 24p content playback. The thing is though, I watch almost all my content (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Plex, Disney+) through the TV app, which is not through HDMI, so it does't even have "PC mode" so I still get RealCinema. And from what I understand, almost all movies and shows are mastered in 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 anyways."

Credit to
BlackKnightSix
on Reddit.

Also, contrary to what i read over and over, HDMI 2.0 does support 120hz @ 4k. It just doesn't support that whilst also using HDR

I play @ 4k 120hz all the time on my 1080 Ti.

thanks for the info, wish it have a option or a mode to unlocked everything, was thinking that using madVR and and adding a little trumotion like 3 or 4 dejudder and deblur would be perfect for me, i'll test it more later when my new righ is finish, its base on the 3000seriers card, and ive read somewhere that 2080ti cant output interlace signal or something, not sure on the 3000series

ive tried using the brix and set it up with a madVR/MPC-HC palyer and turn on trumotion to around 3-5 and deblur around same value and wow 1080 content is really like very very good , madVR alone for me is not smooth enough with its smooth settings on, i can see the judder with the movies, its upscale is good , thats why i wanted to pair it with a little trumotion

thx for the reddit post, I gotta admit the CX requires a lot of playing around and figuring out which settings are best for in whatever you are doing. I still aint figured it out or what's the best mode and settings, but I do still like filmmaker mode and OLED 35, brightness 58-60 for now but am enjoying Dolby vision defaults also and playing around with Cinema/Home setting for HDR which I may switch too.

I too recently found out Pc mode may not be the best mode since you lose out of many options during film/tv series playback but yeah you always go into the dashboard and edit settings to hdmi 1 to get more options back again or choose another device like streaming etc.

I use to htpc it with madvr and filters but given how Windows 10 doesn't even support Dolby Vision properly and only HDR, I dropped the whole htpc and windows 10 thing and made the move to Nvidia shield, life is much easier now I get dolby vision support under all apps like netflix, prime, disney and even plex unofficially and bit buggy now works with Dolby vision bluray rips. The Shield also has an excellent 1080p upscaler which works very well and the remote is a god send.

I think madVR/MPC-HC combo use to be awesome and technically its still the best (image output wise when tweaked with good gpu) but Plex app even on the inbuilt app or Shield or Chromecast really just works out the box with no headache or much set up yet offers excellent image quality playback, most of the TV features also like Realcinema still checkable and adjustable and not greyed out either.

Soldato
guys wanted to ask you what you would choose.

asus ek 3090 or gigabyte auros 3090 waterforce?

Gigabyte Auros has 2x hdmi 2.1 so i think i can set one up for game settings "pc mode" on the CX48 and the other HDMI 2.1 none pc mode so the options would be unlock like trumotion to watch movies and just select which hdmi input i use, also the auros has a little bit higher clock speed then its cheaper also price wise

Asus EK 3090 the only thing is my motherboard is also a asus so for the themed setup

help me decide pleasse

For gaming? Neither. Wait for the 3080ti, it will be a much better purchase over the 3090.

Do what I did, pickup a 3080 and use that until your 3080ti arrives. Can sell the 3080 for the same, or more than what you paid for it.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
How come my software version is 03.11.30 and it says no updates but people reporting 03.21.09?

My tv is 55" LG CX

Slow roll out phase, it takes a good 1-2 weeks before its usually available on LG site to manually flash via usb stick to TV otherwise it usually goes to Asia and US over wireless, then I think Europe then UK. Pretty much last to get it but usually takes a good 2-3 weeks for most to get the latest firmware.

Some are suggesting not to update to it though since there is that brightness in gaming issue.

Back
Top Bottom