Lost parcel advice

Associate
  • I sold an item on ebay a few weeks ago, dispatched the next day (19th Dec) using Hermes via Packlink.
  • Noticed that tracking info hadn't been updated last week, only to say that its with the courier
  • I get a message from the buyer asking where it is
  • I query it with Packlink (Hermes would not deal with me direct) who say to log it as lossed
  • I file a claim that the item is missing - they confirm that they will now investigate this on my behalf and coordinate with Hermes (can take 30 days apparently)
  • The compensation covers only a 1/4 of what the item sold for
This leaves me in an awkward position

If I refund the buyer and then the item turns up, the buyer has no incentive to send the item back and I lose out + the compensation wouldn't go through
If I don't refund the buyer that could put me in hot water with my feedback score and ebay support backing the buyer anyway if they dispute it
The buyer can't be expected to wait 30 days to wait for a resolution, so what should I do?

Commissario
  • The compensation covers only a 1/4 of what the item sold for
Without answering your questions, this is important (and I appreciate hindsight is always perfect). When you post something, always, always insure it for the full cost otherwise you're knackered if you have to claim.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

Soldato
Your first mistake was using Hermes and your second mistake was not insuring the item for the full value, lessons learnt for next time.

Soldato
I had a similar issue but as a buyer. The seller advertised royal mail and then sent using Packlink Hermes (wouldn't have bought if I knew it would be Hermes :rolleyes:). Hermes use amateur delivery staff who get given parcels to keep in their car or home and then get it delivered.

From what I can tell Hermes provided a 50% off offer on ebay and have been overwhelmed along with the normal christmas rush.

Bought on 7th December and they dropped off at shop on 7th.

Tracking was a mess showing no real updates. I suspect what happened was that it did actually reach the person who was supposed to deliver it but they never did and returned it to the depot. Last tracking showed it was routed to incorrect depot and then nothing.

Raised dispute on 16th and told seller that unless tracking shows it is at my local depot the 21st I'd like a refund.

They continued to drag their feet I guess hoping it will be delivered. On the 22nd still no refund, and so I escalated. Ebay decided in my favour the same day.

Tracking still shows nothing.

It's nice that Hermes want to provide some work to inexperienced couriers, but that results in a poor service. I also bet most end up earning less than minimum wage.

https://beacourier.co.uk/how-it-works/

Last edited:
Soldato
You have no choice but to refund the buyer, eBay would do it for you if they raise it. It's very unlikely to suddenly re-appear now anyway, so you'll have to just accept the compensation. As said, learn the lesson and move on :)

Caporegime
Your first mistake was using Hermes and your second mistake was not insuring the item for the full value, lessons learnt for next time.

I've had more issues with Royal Mail than Hermes. Never had an item sent via Hermes not arrive, and our local Hermes driver is an old woman in a Hyundai Getz full to the roof with parcels, everything always arrives in-tact and on time. :p

Yodel are the worst I've encountered. But even they seem to have improved around here. Used to be that whenever something got sent to me via Yodel i'd mentally write it off as not arriving in-tact or at all. But they've been fine more recently.

His first and only mistake was not insuring it for the full value.

Associate
I used to use collectplus postage before the lockdowns and they were very good when a parcel got lost. On a couple of occasions they made a decision promptly that the parcel had been lost and when provided with the ebay reference refunded in full to my paypal account as I had paid for the correct amount of insurance.

Soldato
Having an issue but with RM as well. Sent something on the 16th and still no sign of it. Luckily the item was only 25 quid so the standard free insurance should cover it.

Hassle though when the buyer rags on at you for it.

Soldato

This....

How long have you been living in a cave for? How do you not know myherpies are one of the worst delivery companies in the country, problem self inflicted

Soldato
Having an issue but with RM as well. Sent something on the 16th and still no sign of it. Luckily the item was only 25 quid so the standard free insurance should cover it.

Hassle though when the buyer rags on at you for it.

I sent something through royal mail at the start of the month and it took nearly 3 weeks to get the the other person

Soldato
It is well known that RM were backlogged with 2/3 weeks worth of parcels/letters.

I’ve had no issue with HERMES, always delivered on time for me.

Caporegime
You dont have any choice really but to refund the buyer and persue what compensation you can get from Hermes/packlink directly.

If I had bought something that i expected delivered next day on the 19th Dec and it still had not turned up, i would expect a refund by now, or at least very soon to be honest.

It is *****, but it is the risk you take when selling things online (and when not covering something for the full value)

Man of Honour
I've only ever had one issue with Hermes and that was an Amazon return using their provided label so no issue in getting them to refund me, apart from that I must have sent/received into the 4 figures with them over 3 different houses/towns.
I don't think they're quite as terrible as many believe, people are just much more vocal about it when they fail which leads to people being more vocal because someone else said they heard they were rubbish and so on.

G J

G J

Associate
I dont get why people use Hermes to save 50p or a couple of pounds.

Every single time people have used them to my address it always causes more stress then its worth as the delivery times is a few days but it turns up after around 2 weeks. Theres no real excuse as I dont live in the middle of nowhere either.

I always use Royal Mail recorded/special delivery and never had a problem but it does irk me when people say they use X delivery service and then I get a mail/link and its Hermes.

Last edited:
Soldato

Every single time people have used them to my address it always causes more stress then its worth as the delivery times is a few days but it turns up after around 2 weeks. Theres no real excuse as I dont live in the middle of nowhere either.

I always use Royal Mail recorded/special delivery and never had a problem but it does irk me when people say they use X delivery service and then I get a mail/link and its Hermes.

That's the point the order gets cancelled (and on the outside chance it actually turns up then refused at the door).

Associate
OP

I realise the mistakes now, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

You have no choice but to refund the buyer, eBay would do it for you if they raise it. It's very unlikely to suddenly re-appear now anyway, so you'll have to just accept the compensation. As said, learn the lesson and move on :)

I've told the buyer I'll do the refund - packlink are now saying it can take 30 days to investigate and settle the loss claim.

You should have insured it properly and now you've lost out trying to save a few quid. Harsh lesson to learn from.

Again....hindsight. I should have used DPD, I basically just selected the first courier I could see on packlink. Royal Mail wanted £20 to post so that's why I avoided them.

Rule #1 of posting things. DO NOT USE HERMES.

DPD are literally pennies more via Packlink, and provide a far superior service.

I'll be using DPD next time I post something heavy. Hermes cust care is non existent, can't talk to anyone, their twitter feed a total shambles full of people complaining about the same thing.

I had no prior experience with Hermes to doubt their competency, and it was either £20 with RM or £2 with Hermes.

Guess you get what you pay for :/

Back
Top Bottom