***The 2020 Gym Rats Thread*** ᕦ( ͠°◞ °)ᕥ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
I'm looking forward to it, I can't deny it :) You seem to be holding on to mass pretty well with your plan too which is definitely something I've struggled with in the past when losing weight - go from fat chunky strong to skinny weak rake :D

Cardio wise, does he recommend walking in particular, or was that your choice of getting X amount of cardio in? Ever anything more intense than walking? See you on Gains Seekers :p

The food is high...really high I'm eating at a level that I'd never even consider if I was doing my own diet. I have the odd days where I don't fit my meals in so end up having to combine my middle 2 meals which ends up at over half a kg of oven chips and 300ish grams of chicken plus all my salad it's a massive meal that needs to go into the biggest mixing bowl we've got while I get disgusted looks from the mrs and the little one :o

I'd always go for lower kcals and little cardio whereas Afser goes big on the food but also on the cardio and weights so it's much better for holding mass.

He says the cardio doesn't have to be balls to the wall and walking is perfect you'll see from his stories on Insta he uses walking himself for the bulk of his cardio. I walk if I can't get to the gym or fancy a change. If I can get to the gym then it's cycling at around 20+ mph for my prescribed time.

Man of Honour
That was always my opinion but I feel so much healthier now than I've ever felt even when I was leaner and stronger.

I cycle a reasonable amount at the moment, and the large volume of cardio is interesting: a hard bike ride makes me feel weirdly energised, but a hard strength session makes me want to sleep...

I feel a bit more lithe at the moment (I am over ten kilos down on my heaviest) and I can run a lot further... Do I feel healthier? Difficult to say. I find the maintenance calories mean that DOMS and soft tissue niggles take longer to heal, but this could also be me ageing... :)

Soldato
OP
Wall-supported single leg RDLs are an absolute glute killer! Haven't really got anything to do hip-thrusts on for my 2nd leg day so wanted another hinge other than regular RDLs and these are godly, although it takes a bit of faffing about finding the right distance from the wall and foot height. Press the back leg into the wall and as a global cue for most of my leg training now, actively press the big toe into the ground (whilst staying balanced evenly through the foot). Feel the burn the next day.

B&W

B&W

Soldato
My shoulder is better now so have started doing a proper push day again.

Today was supposed to be upper day but I couldn't resist the bench so ended up a full push day.

Went lighter on the Barbell BP, did 3 pause sets at different weights and reps. And did some DB floor press and DB fly's. CGBP, Triceps standing OH extension and rope pulldowns for tris. Finished off with OHP. Best session in a while lol. Touch wood shoulder pain stays away.

I do plan now once a month to do a deload week and I think 5 days max a week I hope this will help keep injuries away.

On the nutrition side I take 4000iu vitamin d tablet a day and 5ml Nordic oil.

Is it worth adding multivitamin daily? I do take vitamin c 1000mg every other day.

Soldato
OP
I would only eat a multi if you’re dieting and food variety is limited, and even then it’s more of an insurance policy than anything and half of it ends up being ****** out. If you make an account on Chronometer or something and stick a days food in, as long as your diet isn’t a disaster devoid of whole foods you’ll see it’s pretty hard to not hit a good amount over the RDAs for water soluble vitamins daily and the fat soluble ones over a few days (plus you’re supping O3 anyway).

There’s an argument for magnesium but it’s more for athletes who will train all day and sweat a lot, which isn’t the average gym bro.

Creatine, O3 (if you don’t eat a oily fish on the reg) and D3 are basically the trifecta of supplements* worth paying for. I suppose caffeine pills might be an honourable mention rather than wasting money on pre-workout drinks but you have to be willing to take a decent hit to see benefits and if you train late in the afternoon/evening it’s a bad idea as it will likely disrupt sleep due to the long half-life.

/MNU Nutritionist

*I don’t count protein powder as it’s a versatile food source to me.

Man of Honour
0.5kg off my target weight, thanks Christmas :D - I’ve added between 0.5-1kg a month since august. I’d be happy for that to continue a bit longer. It’s certainly helped my strength gains.

I got the mirafit incremental plates for Christmas - they’re cute (and useful for isolation movements).

Last edited:
Caporegime
WSM seriously need to change the group stage qualification, you can't have the 4th place person going through ahead of the 2nd. Shivlyakov missed out on the final because he picked up an injury in an event he shouldn't have even needed to do :(

Permabanned
Took a week off for the Christmas period. Really feel it when my diet collapses these days. If I don't eat clean almost all the time then my training takes such a massive hit. I just don't have the energy to push through the session.

The home gym has been worth the world. Can’t believe gyms are closed again, they’ve only been open a few weeks.

Aye, 100% this. I don't have much equipment and the space I have is small but I can do the essentials and it's absolutely been worth the money (as extortionate as it might be at the moment).

Associate
Guys, I cant handle another 4 weeks without picking up and putting down a piece of metal repeatedly.

Where is the best prices for me to get some hex dumbells? £150 seems to be the best rate I can find for 2x20KG. Any tips?

Edit: sorry this may be best in home gym post, forgot about that thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom