Official Home Gym Building Thread

Associate
Guys, I cant handle another 4 weeks without picking up and putting down a piece of metal repeatedly.

Where is the best prices for me to get some hex dumbells? £150 seems to be the best rate I can find for 2x20KG. Any tips?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Soldato
want to change my full rack for a half rack, The prices have gone absolutely mental it seems!

I did the same in September. The half rack I bought then was £399, it's now selling for £499! It didn't arrive until December either. However, I also managed to sell my old rack for nearly what I paid for it after 5 years use so it didn't really cost anything to switch over.

Soldato
Mrs is finally onboard with small home gym set up - the one condition she has put on things is a foldable bench. Any recommendations for a decent foldable bench? Unfortunately we don't have the space for a proper rack / bench set up.

Soldato
I did the same in September. The half rack I bought then was £399, it's now selling for £499! It didn't arrive until December either. However, I also managed to sell my old rack for nearly what I paid for it after 5 years use so it didn't really cost anything to switch over.

The Mirafit M210 I just bought (though now out of stock) was only £250 and seems excellent quality so far

I self levelled the back half of my garage for the gym, cost a couple hundred including mixer etc but was worth it I feel. Mine was really bad and is now completely flat with stall mats on top

Do you get the impression it needs fixing to the floor? I'm hoping with the weight storage attached, it will be solid enough to avoid doing so and I don't want to cut/drill into the mats.

Cheers dude, yeah I don't think I can be bothered to level the floor anymore - it's not terribly bad to begin with but evidently not perfect. When I was last in there I grabbed a few different wooden boards and tried wedging them under the lower side of the rack and that brought it nicely back level (though since they are only offcuts it left it a bit wobbly). So I think what I'm going to do is get a sheet of ply or something suitably strong and cut it to exactly the right size/shape to match the footprint of that side of the rack, including the holes that bolt it to the floor. Paint it black to match the rack so it doesn't look so jank and then bolt the rack to the floor through it to level it. It's not off by much probably needs to be raised around 10mm or so on one side. Technically that means my bench is also not quite sitting level but I'm not too bothered - it feels level enough to not cause any injury I think.

As for whether it really needs bolting down - no I think with the weight storage fully loaded it will be pretty solid and won't move too much. But since I have the floor fixing kit already I might as well go ahead (and especially now I'm going to wedge one side of it I think I'll be more comfortable knowing it's fixed down tightly to it and not going to slip off or anything while I'm using it)

Man of Honour
Every time we go back into a lockdown and I’m working out in the gym (and breaking all previous PBS) I can’t help but think how it’s paying for itself - not literally, that’ll take years :p

Would like to upgrade my rack, but that may have to wait a while. @LiE was yours the mammoth lite?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Yep, it's nice to have the gym to keep my sane during this madness. Still training 4-5 days a week in my home gym, the 48s should be here this week ready for my next 6 week training block.

Man of Honour
I can’t find the lite squat arms. Not that any accessories seem to be in stock.

Esit: found them. Second time I’ve done that today, brain won’t engage.

May well order the rack and keep an eye out for the spotters. Can set it up once they arrive. Will measure it later, the biggest problem might be the centre of it being too close to my roof support making OHP difficult.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah now that I need some bumpers I can't find them anywhere... will have to just watch and wait. With absolutely every plate I currently have my bar tops out at 60kg which is certainly better than nothing and I'm glad I at least have a bench and a rack now. But hopefully I can find something in stock at some point

I was also going to order that Gorilla Sports lat pulldown LiE has, but they've updated the page to basically say it's going to be a long while until it comes back. I noticed Mirafit have released their own wall/floor mounted cable station now too - it's out of stock but seems quite good; the cable position is adjustable. I think it seems a bit too deep for me though as I really need something compact

Man of Honour
and the squat rack is out of stock. Oh well, at least I have one. Will pick up the spotters ready when they appear.

Glad I didn’t commit, think I’m going to get the one with a pull-up bar and then get a belt that I can attach plates to. It’ll just about fit.

Last edited:

B&W

B&W

Soldato
I have the mirafit M1 squat and dip rack along with the M2 bench. I am having trouble taking the bar out of the rack with a slightly heavy weight. I mean bench press.

Whereas in the gym it would come out so easily. I can't put the arms any higher. I believe that's the problem.

I'm thinking shall I drill more holes towards the bottom.

Can't do anything else I think?

Last edited:
Soldato
Are you trying to start with the bar still in the squat rack catchers??

You might be better off just using the safety catchers as your lift off point, even with a heavy bench you can reasonably safely get out from under a failed lift by letting one side drop to the ground.

Back
Top Bottom