Poll: *** The official 2020 MacBook Air/13" MacBook Pro thread (it has the M1 chip and everything!) ***

What 2020 Apple Silicon notebook have you ordered?

• MacBook Air

Votes: 72 71.3%
  • 13" MacBook Pro

Votes: 29 28.7%

• Total voters
Soldato
Evening all,
I am inching closer to going for an m1 macbook, probably a daft question considering some of the workloads that these machines are chewing through but my main use is just general browsing etc but I also play football manager a fair bit alongside, I normally run FM in windowed mode as I am using a 32" 4k monitor. So I would have FM snapped over one half of the display and my normal browser on the other half. Anyone here able to tell me how their m1 device handles FM? Must be a few more of us armchair managers around!
Note, i don't even run the 3d game mode or anything on fm, i have all that stuff switched off.

My current desktop machine has a truly awful graphics card and really struggles to have anything other than browser/terminal windows open, Ryzen 2600x and Quadro K600 so I am hoping the m1 will give a bit more GPU juice.

Thanks

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Do you think AppleCare is worth getting for base mba?

I didn't, the appeal of the base model is the low price for me. I guess if you plan to keep it for up to 3 years it could be worth while, but I won't be keeping mine that long as Apple will be bringing out a lot of new hardware in 2021.

Associate
Hello

Hope everyone had a good xmas (well best you can the way things are ! )

I'm looking for a mouse for my son to use on his new Airbook M1 please nothing to fancy just pretty basic could anyone recommended any please ?
Would something like this work please **No Competitors **

Thank you

Last edited:
Soldato
Hello

Hope everyone had a good xmas (well best you can the way things are ! )

I'm looking for a mouse for my son to use on his new Airbook M1 please nothing to fancy just pretty basic could anyone recommended any please ?
Would something like this work please **No Competitors **

Thank you
Anything Logitech or Microsoft would be my choice. I use a Master 2s but that might be a bit expensive!

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
These are making me think naughty thoughts about replacing my trusty early 2011 (!) MBP 13.

It’s well due a replacement as OS is no longer supported, and it struggles with things like importing photos in current formats.

However I don't need one, I find my laptop usage has declined massively as I'm either on a work laptop or ipad, but I still want one ;)

I get a tiny discount through work (6%) so a 512GB/16GB air comes in at £1362 for the 8/8 core model, tempting.

Soldato
I swapped out my Dell XPS 15 (9570). Spec was pretty mad on it (i7 6C/12T, 32GB RAM, 1050Ti, 1TB SSD etc etc) and I simply wasn't making good use of it.

I've got a 512GB/8GB Macbook Air, and I got one for my wife too (replacing her 2018 i5 Macbook Air.

Immediate thoughts are - the battery life is absolutely phenomenal. Performance is great. Not seen anything that doesn't 'just works'

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
These are making me think naughty thoughts about replacing my trusty early 2011 (!) MBP 13.

Just booted the old thing up, synced some pictures from my phone, browsed one thread on here, battery dropped 16% already ;)

Soldato
I just had to do my first reboot in ages. I was trying to delete some files from my NAS and it kept giving me an error so at first I was concerned there was an issue there but from my PC all was good. One reboot later and everything is back to normal. I just don't have enough experience with macOS to know the intricacies.

Associate
Just a quick one which I'm hoping some one can help me with please.

Wifi isn't great in the lads room and his xbox is ethernet cabled in .

He's home schooling atm but he's having issue with his new MacBook Air and wifi dropping out on video teaching .

I've looked on apple and you can get a Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter ( https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MD463ZM/A/thunderbolt-to-gigabit-ethernet-adapter)

Mac Models MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015 - 2017)
MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2015)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012 - 2015)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2012 - 2015)
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015)
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014 - 2015)
Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac mini (Late 2014)

But it doesn't say compatible with the latest MacBook Air assume ?

Thanks

Commissario
OP
You're right, it doesn't. I'd be very surprised if it doesn't work but there's an online chat you can use and I'd suggest doing that before you buy it. If it doesn't work, remember you have the fourteen day return thing.

Associate
You're right, it doesn't. I'd be very surprised if it doesn't work but there's an online chat you can use and I'd suggest doing that before you buy it. If it doesn't work, remember you have the fourteen day return thing.

I have this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Ethernet-Including-ChromeBook-Aluminum-Silver/dp/B010086WNA

I don't think you'll have any issues with it working.

Thanks for your replies , I'll grab that one posted by LiE as i can get it by 10pm tonight .

Thank you again for taking the time to reply .

Soldato
Just a quick one which I'm hoping some one can help me with please.

Wifi isn't great in the lads room and his xbox is ethernet cabled in .

He's home schooling atm but he's having issue with his new MacBook Air and wifi dropping out on video teaching .

I've looked on apple and you can get a Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter ( https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MD463ZM/A/thunderbolt-to-gigabit-ethernet-adapter)

Mac Models MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015 - 2017)
MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2015)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012 - 2015)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2012 - 2015)
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015)
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014 - 2015)
Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac mini (Late 2014)

But it doesn't say compatible with the latest MacBook Air assume ?

Thanks

Try this one if you want one that's certified by Apple:
https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/HJKF2ZM/A/belkin-usb-c-to-gigabit-ethernet-adapter

Back
Top Bottom